Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 22:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012

Raja Motors from Guruvayur (Thrissur-Kerala) introduced its ultra small/compact car named Creeper in the New Delhi Auto Expo 2012 .The car has been developed based on the design by Motormind, a design consultancy firm in Bangalore.

The Creeper small car is equipped with 800 cc engine and can accomodate two persons only. The car makers aims to market this small car for metro cities which are congested with heavy traffic. Cost of the car is expected to be 1.75 lakhs and runs on petrol. Diesel, electric models are in the pipeline.

History of Rajah Motors:-

In 1998, Rajah Motors, part of the beedi major Rajah Group, rolled out Kazwa, the first multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) in the country.The Chavakkad/Guruvayoor-based small scale unit also had plans to introduce a small car by the year 2000. but it took another mighty 12 more years to introduce the creeper.

In 1998 The Kazva, the eight-seater car had all the features like power windows, power steering, dual air conditioner, central locking and alloy wheels. The custom-made car was priced in the range of Rs 6.5 lakh to Rs 7 lakh.

The Rajah motors also produces a 4 wheeler LCV , It was launched long time before when the Tata Ace was launched.
Attached Thumbnails
The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012-creeper.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 22:59   #2
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car

Interesting! The market does need really compact 2 seaters for typical urban use.

Is the photo that of the Creeper? Looks quite amaturish with all the boxiness.
Old 6th January 2012, 23:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If thats the photo of the car then I doubt they will themselves also buy it. It best looks like a college project. More importantly if Nano fails to sell at that price point then I don't see why would anyone shell out 1.75L for this.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 23:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Few other models of Rajah motors.

The Kazva , resembling the old Renault Espace, houses a Hindustan Isuzu D 2.0-liter 56 hp engine. In 1999 the company introduced the Moover pick-up with a 1.5-liter diesel engine.

Rajah Motors has developed new tri-wheel and four-wheel trucks.
The vehicles known by the name `Tiger' and `Kangaroo'
vehicles were manufactured in the company's Chavakkad plant in collaboration with Shamshong Jolan of China
The tri-wheel truck, modelled as an auto-rickshaw, is priced at Rs 2.5 lakh. The four-wheel truck will cost Rs 3.25 lakh.
Though both the vehicles have got the licence to carry one tonne of cargo, it has the capacity to transport more than two tonnes
The vehicles are fitted with 16-inch tyres generally used for trucks. Engines are fitted in the front portion of the vehicles
Attached Thumbnails
The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012-kazwa.jpg  

The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012-kazwa1.jpg  

The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012-triwheel.jpg  

Old 6th January 2012, 23:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why should anyone buy this two seat creeper with fog eye headlamps at 1/75L when he can get a M800 at that price.
Hope this car is seen on roads unlike their earlier models the Kazwa with an Isuzu engine which was seen in a blockbuster movie.
Not seen or heard about the LCV by Rajah Motors.
Old 7th January 2012, 10:12   #6
BHPian

Re: The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012

I think the car is true to its name, it just creeps you out! assuming that the photo is of the creeper.
Old 7th January 2012, 14:41   #7
BHPian

Maybe the company is doing well in Kerala. But as far as I can remember, the Kazwa was a total failure at that time.

The company has potential, they might do well if they hire a few designers.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here is a better photo of Rajah Creeper. courtesy:Skyscrapercity

I vaguely remember reading in local newspapers about Rajah group planning to collaborate with Hindustan Motors(Ambassador) for Rajah's Car/SUV plan.
now this!

I doubt, if they have taken design cues from Pakistan's Habib "Sitara"
Attached Thumbnails
The Rajah Creeper - ultra small car unveiled in Auto Expo 2012-4f33p.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 7th January 2012 at 17:25.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 17:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Here is a better photo of Rajah Creeper. courtesy:Skyscrapercity
I doubt this would be actually produced and if it is then god save the company with their investments. What sort of design is this? It appears as if the cabin of a large MAN earthmover has been ripped off and put on 4 small wheels. IMO.
amitwlele is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 17:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Maybe the company is doing well in Kerala. But as far as I can remember, the Kazwa was a total failure at that time.

The company has potential, they might do well if they hire a few designers.
Kerala??!!, c'mon when i saw the 'Harikrishnan' movie years back i thought it was some Previa(small kid then!)
It was only in Teambhp that i came to know more of it. The only thing AFAIK coming automotive from Kerala is Pete and KAL.
So forget about it doing well,it doesn't even exist. But if it comes with something decent then am proud of it.
Old 7th January 2012, 17:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Creeper somehow reminds me of those dune buggys!

At 1.75L there is no way it can succeed. Maybe they can increase the ground clearance and fit chunkier tires and market it as some kind of niche/hobby vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Rajah group planning to collaborate with Hindustan Motors(Ambassador)
Match made in heaven!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 17:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be in best interest of Rajah that they stick to their core expertise: making beedi's. This one way to fritter away hard earned money and show case their 'talent' in Auto Expo 2012, they must have spent quiet a pile of cash just getting a slot in the Auto Expo. Best they can use Rajah Creeper to transport beedi's to their retail outlets. Sum it up: Creeper gives me the creeps.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 18:09   #13
BHPian

IMHO, the design of the car wont be liked by many. The car looks like a golf cart with doors.

The concept of a two person urban commuter with 800 CC engine is good, but TATA Nano with a < 800 CC engine still can carry 4 people. I wonder who will go for this car.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Notice that the left hand side U shaped light is not working in the pic above from the Auto Expo. I can only imagine what will happen if this car actually runs on the road. I can recollect images of various cartoon movies from childhood when a car used to just dismantle itself with springs flying everywhere.

A partnership with HM is probably the best way forward. That way probably HM will die sooner than later and we will be able to finally see Mitsubishi in its full glory. Yes I am cruel!

At best this looks like a channel for the beedi company to convert some of that black currency into legitimate ones.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 20:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

What The Hell!!!

With all due respect, Rajah/Kajah group has excelled in every possible business they've laid their hands on. But automobile, please leave it to the experts!

The Kazwa, I admit, looked good at its time but it never had any reliability that a buyer would look for.

But, I am gasping for air seeing this contraption. The Creeper is giving me shivers. What were the design gurus thinking while they dreamt up this?

OT: Rajahs aren't people who are unaware of automotive aesthetics, they are people who personally use some of the best looking cars in the state, like a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow and Maserati Quattroporte. Cant believe they would even approve this car if they ever bothered to look at it before they waved the green flag.
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks