Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 14:55   #121
BHPian

Re: Why are SUVs becoming so popular?

My brother is a huge fan of sleek sedans and was in the lookout for one of those while he had the Maruti Swift. So a couple of years ago, we decided to give a test drive of a VW Vento and started off from home after lunch. As usual we were waiting at a busy traffic signal here in Chennai. As soon as the green lights came on, everybody started off like a running race ( like they usually do ) when suddenly a police man wanted to help a beautiful girl cross the road. Ahead of our Swift was a Fortuner which had to brake really hard because the police man jumped in front of him to make the maiden cross the road. Naturally we also applied brakes on our Swift but it was all too quick and we kissed the Fortuner's rear at say 10 km / hr. After a second, 2 bikes rammed onto our Swift's rear bumper. We got out of the car only to see that the Swift had turned into a boxy Wagon-R. The Fortuner did not even know about the incident ( tickling ) and he took off.

On that moment, my brother decided to give up his dream of driving a sedan here at least in Chennai and booked a Safari. Now he is more than happy with the decision he made.

Oh, and the motorcycle guys also dusted their pants and took off in no time.

Last edited by eyesice : 16th January 2013 at 14:59. Reason: What happened to the motorcycle guys?
Old 16th January 2013, 15:09   #122
BHPian

Sorry for posts in quick interval.
Was searching for something of this sort - where i had read on psychology of SUV buyers. While searchign found a interesting post - thought of sharing with you..

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html
Though an old article, the evolution and thought process arent unique to that part of the world...
Old 16th January 2013, 15:10   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
On that moment, my brother decided to give up his dream of driving a sedan here at least in Chennai and booked a Safari. Now he is more than happy with the decision he made.
That is not necessarily an issue with sedans. Could be an issue with Maruti though.
A friend's Vento bumped into an Omni at a speed of probably 15kmph on a turn. The Vento had barely a scratch while the Omni door had caved in.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 16:28   #124
BHPian

Sorry for posts in quick interval.
Was searching for something of this sort - where i had read on psychology of SUV buyers. While searchign found a interesting post - thought of sharing with you..

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html
Though an old article, the evolution and thought process arent unique to that part of the world...
vigneshA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 02:56   #125
BHPian

Simply put, I think the reason Indian buyers prefer SUVs is because they've given up on the idea of better roads being made and existing ones being regularly maintained. They've decided to change themselves instead and go for vehicles that can take the abuse. Also, might is right on the roads, and most drivers would like to be on the bullying side than on the bullied side.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks