Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 21:43   #76
BHPian

Re: Why are SUVs becoming so popular?

I can speak of myself and may be I'm SUV "type". But the sole reason I prefer SUV in India is the condition of our roads.

On quite a few occasions I've been spared agony of endless waits on jammed highways because I could get off-road and take diversions etc where sedans would think twice. The number of potholes, dug up roads, crazy speed-breakers I encounter when going to drop my kids to school everyday would probably bust a sedan suspension much earlier (Not counting the painful underbody scraps).
Old 10th January 2012, 23:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
various reasons like Macho Image, more metal, high viewpoint, prestige, etc are totted out for the increasing popularity of SUVs.

In my view the primary reason is

Our really bad roads. These leave no real options to the average buyer. Our NHs will be put to shame by the Roman Chariot Tracks, and this is, I beleive, the 21st century.
On second thoughts SUVs are not becoming popular. Other than 2-4 SUV models all other sell less than 200 pcs per month. Total it wont be more than 5-7% of total sale.

It is that people are aspiring and dreaming to buy SUVs.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:35   #78

To add to the capabilities &true prowess of the new gen suv's in India, do indulge in dune - bashing.
At Jaisalmer by Lama Tours.
They give you a taste of what it is like to be on the edge!!!!
Old 11th January 2012, 10:46   #79
BHPian

Friends,

just consider this. Buying for no particular reason:

When someone feels that upgrading to an SUV is necessary as many do-then he/she will automatically do it.Just because the neighbour has it-or everyone else has it.

How many of us are driving the car that actually suits our personality/purpose?And how many features in the car are we actually using? It is more like setting some "must haves". SUV is becoming a must have at some stage in life for even those who can't really afford it easily. BMW X1,Audi Q3, XUV500 etc are basically targetted at them-IMO.

Last edited by charthom : 11th January 2012 at 10:48.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:16   #80
BHPian

I believe the SUVs are becoming popular because, we are a petroleum exporting nation and have enough land, space and roads along with small population.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I believe the SUVs are becoming popular because, we are a petroleum exporting nation and have enough land, space and roads along with small population.
And we really need all that space driving alone to work every day
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:32   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Lets not forget the fact that we have really good roads with well-marked obstructions as well, which make them an extravagance.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:33   #83
BHPian

Off Topic but pretty relavent here. Election season round the corner and white SUV's would be much in demand. So all SUV owners ensure that they are safe with an extremely low success rate of recovering them back one needs to be very careful.

Read this thread, its almost like a movie
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html

Read somwhere 4700 odd cases in Mumbai in 2011 for car-jacking up from 4000 odd and success rate of getting them back, barely a few.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...hieves_1636087

Last edited by kartikk : 11th January 2012 at 15:45. Reason: Found the link
Old 11th January 2012, 15:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In today's scenario, if one yields to a pedestrian, allowing them to cross the road, one is met with strange looks of amazement from the said pedestrian, to the accompaniment of a loud cacophony of horns from the irate, impatient denizens of the road who are behind one,on the road!
Ridiculous.
The most annoying part is this: I just stopped for the aforementioned pedestrian and that he/she thinks I have all the time in the world and takes an eternity to get to the other end!
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 16:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

For me, SUV only for:

- bad roads
- GC

I love cars that too petrol. So even an SUV will have to be a soft off-roader. From reviews, the only one which currently fits by budget would be XUV 500 (after tyre upgrades).

For city, I love my WagonR. Great maneuverability, squeezes into small gaps, has a higher stance (driving position) than most cars. And because it has visible nick-nacks here and there I don't have to worry much about getting bullied. If somebody tries it - 90% of the times other guy backs off before I do.

But it's not a comfortable car. Too bouncy on bad and the not so bad roads.
Old 11th January 2012, 16:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
The most annoying part is this: I just stopped for the aforementioned pedestrian and that he/she thinks I have all the time in the world and takes an eternity to get to the other end!
And to add to it,few of them think that pointing a hand towards a 4 wheeler on a highway doing speeds in the region of 80-90km\hr would make it stop
Old 11th January 2012, 17:59   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Pretty much why I went in for an Endeavour myself. Just to add to that-

- the "just jump in and drive straightaway without planning too much" feel
- the feeling that I could go on even after I've been on the road for 15 hours straight. I never had this feeling on the previous cars I'd owned and driven: Zen and Swift. I only got a "desperation to reach the destination" feel towards the fag ends of the journey. They are not sedans, but does it really make a difference on very long drives?

The added space was like a miniature living room for my wife and kid at the back. They eat, watch movies, stretch, sleep and even play board games while weare on the road.

Also worth mentioning here that I went in for the Automatic Endeavour AFTER paying the token for the Pajero and cancelling it after the Endeavour test drive. The Auto added so much to the equation that I never regretted this decision though a HUGE Pajero fan by heart.

Ride was bumpy. There were handling issues. I corrected it to an acceptable extent by going in for bigger, wider and larger profile tyres. I now look forward to the next drive, without being concerned about the road, or comfort or the length of the journey. Just hop in and drive on.

I would say an Auto SUV is a whole different experience in long distance driving. And I'm talking about distances frequently 650+ kms one way. Don't write this category off slightly.
Adding to that. Chennai <-> Kochi. Flight tickets for 3= 30K (if you're lucky and early enough). Diesel for a round trip 6 -7K + toll ~1K. Plus driving pleasure. Now I know this is not entirely a good argument, but this is something I have faced recently.
Old 11th January 2012, 18:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
If I ever buy one, it would be for one reason only - To avoid getting bullied by all and sundry (viz Auto's, company buses, cabbies, trucks et al.).

I would make sure that I buy one in White, get some dark tints and preferrably have the numberplate in devnagri script. Oh, and some party stickers on it too .
I can totally relate to you. I grew up in and around Delhi, and the Pajeros and Safaris in 90s were synonymous to being owned by MPs, MLAs and the related tribe. The 21st century though has brought a welcome change, and hopefully my mom won't really feel bad when I buy my first SUV. Which hopefully will be my next change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
If I buy an SUV the number one reason would be keep pesky two/three wheelers and wannabe bullies at bay. ....

...So why fight the trend, be part of it.

P.S: Bad roads would be reason number two.
Totally agree with you dot. I car-pool to work - driving alternate days in a i20(mine) and Xylo(friend's). The respect that the Mahindra gets, is for sure way too much for my jealousy to remain low. However in the city, it comes at a price - maneuverability, ease of parking, etc

Out of the city though, the real utility of SUVs is felt on state highways and village/interior roads.

I'd say bad roads still would sit highest on my reasons for purchasing an SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
And to add to it,few of them think that pointing a hand towards a 4 wheeler on a highway doing speeds in the region of 80-90km\hr would make it stop
Tell me about it!! Its such a weird and unreal habit. Its as irritating as the sound of 'metal-scratching-metal' This also is a solid point supporting my firm belief that on-road-vehicles are not the sole reason for bad traffic in Indian metros.

Sometimes I wish one of us in each Indian metro should run for the post of traffic police commissioner, and implement these traffic rules with an iron fist. Rules implemented, it would be interesting to see what many of us have to say about why you'd purchase an SUV, given that they'll be getting equal respect as a Nano would.

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th January 2012 at 19:16. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
CareFreeKid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 19:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

First of all thank you sgiitk for starting this wonderful thread & all the other TBHP members who have contributed to this thread, made an interesting read. Each has his own reason to justify going for a SUV or against a SUV & I appreciate all of them. I am owning & driving a hatch for more than 7.5 years now. As with most of the Indian car buying populace my upgrade was expected to be a 3 box sedan & I was keenly watching the new launches in the C segment, right from the Manza to the latest kid on the block, the Skoda Rapid. However one incident completely changed my perspective.

During October end I had to make a trip from Pune to Nasik (NH50), car loaded with 5 adults. Started early in the morning (04:30am) It was pitch dark, was cruising along smoothly @ 80-90kmph on NH50, crossed Narayangaon, Ale-Phata, when suddenly hit a bad patch. Twice the car went through deep craters (oncoming vehicles on high beam were aggravating the problem & I couldn't realize, how deep the craters were). The third hit was really a nasty one, there was a loud noise & the steering suddenly became tight. Since I was in full control I stopped within a couple of metres & took the car off the road. No one in the car realized why I had stopped, until I told them to get down in pitch darkness (it was 05:30 in the morning). I put the blinkers on & came out to inspect the front LHS tyre, as expected it was flat. I knew the inevitable had happened & this was a case of tyre burst. Within 20 minutes, changed the tyre & continued onward journey without any spare tyre. Had to cover 130kms more, hence very cautiously drove till Nasik @ 60-70kmph. Went to a tyre dealer, fitted the new tyre. Inspected the rim, there was minimal impact on the rim & all the hit was taken by the tyre. It had 2 parallel cuts on the side wall each @ 2" wide. Had I been travelling in a SUV with larger tyres, probably I would have glided over the pot hole, with the damage limited to few shocks & nothing more. Moreover being seated at a high position I would not have been blinded by the high beams of oncoming vehicles & could have spotted the craters on time. Moral of the story, my logical upgrade from a hatch is definitely going to be a SUV or cross over as you may like to call it & not a sedan.

What I want in my next car:
1. Big fat tyres (16 or 17 inchers) with 205mm+ width, which can easily glide over the potholes
2. Good ground clearance (200mm+), again to keep the underbody untouched when manouvering over backbreakers
3. High seating position, to get a clear view of the road ahead (really helpful on highways as well as in city)
4. Comfortable seating space for 5 adults & ample space for luggage & other errands
5. Small yet Powerful engine (good low end torque) & the chilliest AC
6. Smaller turning radius
7. Comfort & safety features (Airbags, ABS/EBD, ACC etc)
8. OTR should be well within 10 lacs

What I don't want in my next car
1. Bulky feeling. It should not be too heavy (ideally between 1000 to 1200 kilos)
2. Fuel thirsty (as I will be using this not just for my outstation trips, but also for my daily office commute of 60km+). I want best fuel economy in the class
3. Bad ergonomics (It should be equally comfortable for the passengers so as the driver, as it would be used extensively for long drives)

What I am not concerned about:
1. Road presence
2. Butch/Macho looks (which helps bullying others)

Given the above criteria the current generation SUVs/MUVs around 10 lacs viz Safari, Scorpio, Xylo, Innova etc don't fit my bill. However the soon to be launched Renault Duster & Ford Ecosport are very well suited for my needs & are on the top of my list.

Any inputs, suggestions, (constructive) criticism etc are most welcome.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Given the above criteria the current generation SUVs/MUVs around 10 lacs viz Safari, Scorpio, Xylo, Innova etc don't fit my bill. However the soon to be launched Renault Duster & Ford Ecosport are very well suited for my needs & are on the top of my list.

Any inputs, suggestions, (constructive) criticism etc are most welcome.
Yes most of the SUV/MUV listed have a GC of less than 200mm.

Apart from GC you have to consider the wheel base. As most of the time you require good GC to traverse humps and pot holes, a short wheel base vehicle will score. For example, the Alto K10 with its 160mm GC scores over the 180-200mm GC vehicles when it comes to speed breakers and pot holes. Of course larger wheel diameters help in pot holes. But if you are faced with a monster pot hole, not even a truck will escape unscathed.

One technique I learnt of is to use fog lamps; if you have them; when dazzled by oncoming lights, increases the near visibility a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks