Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 19:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Vista - Highly Underrated MJD hatchback compared to Swift ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
coming from me ( i have booked a swift) , i simply do not want to be seen driving around in an Indica, even if the Vista was a better car, brand image, looks matter a lot. Indica needs to be one hell of a looker to sell as many numbers as the swift.
Sorry to say but the only cars which will show you have 'arrived' in terms of brand image are the 15 lakh+ cars. Looks matter, but Comfort matters a lot more dont you think?

The Swift has become kind of like the 'Pulsar' of the 4 wheeler industry. It is too damn common now. That is a major grouse I have with the car.

About the drivers car comment, I would like to know how many have recently driven the new Vista. It is excellent, yes there is body roll but very controlled. THe HPS also gives you a feel of the road at almost all speeds. It does not Rattle and is excellently reliable and moreover built like a tank ( look at the hinges on the front doors, lift the bonnet and feel the weight).
Old 7th March 2012, 20:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Just as we are discussing this, came across this:

DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 22:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Well this review seals the deals for me. I believe it answers most of the questions people have been raising and also the comments or experiences posted by some. Surprising part was the verdict, in spite of all the challenges when it comes to bang for the buck and pricing Vista is the overall winner and a value for money car. So that actually sums up the discussion pretty well.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Sorry to say but the only cars which will show you have 'arrived' in terms of brand image are the 15 lakh+ cars. Looks matter, but Comfort matters a lot more dont you think?

The Swift has become kind of like the 'Pulsar' of the 4 wheeler industry. It is too damn common now. That is a major grouse I have with the car.

About the drivers car comment, I would like to know how many have recently driven the new Vista. It is excellent, yes there is body roll but very controlled. THe HPS also gives you a feel of the road at almost all speeds. It does not Rattle and is excellently reliable and moreover built like a tank ( look at the hinges on the front doors, lift the bonnet and feel the weight).
OT: I also own a pulsar which is an excellent bike, has served me for 50,000 kms for 5 years without any issues. And that is the reason it sells so well, hence there must be a reason the swift is a hit.

Yes Suzuki has no brand image as to turn heads, but i was talking in respect to the vista, i would prefer a manza over Dzire yes, but not an Indica over swift, it is great car, for someone who he 40+ has 2 kids and a wife. But thats about it, the desirability factor of the swift is much higher.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

THe HPS also gives you a feel of the road at almost all speeds. It does not Rattle and is excellently reliable and moreover built like a tank ( look at the hinges on the front doors, lift the bonnet and feel the weight).
The Swift buyer would also get a car that feels a lot more modern than a Vista, again that center console is a put off, the fact is that the Swift is a contemporary and "in" car. A lot of buyers like the fact that its available even in the developed markets in somewhat the same variant that you get here. I still remember checking out the Swift during the launch of the original, it felt light years ahead of other hatches in the market. If the VDi had ABS+rear wash/wipe and defogger I would have gone for it.

HPS is hardly a USP, EPS is acceptable for the average buyer. Weight it not an indication of well built, an 9 year old City with light doors still has its super fine shut lines, Tata is nowhere in that league. Old maruti's hold up fine, light weight doesn't mean bad build.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:08   #51
BHPian

The Vista is of course a very under rated car. I have never been a TATA fan for reasons well documented in this thread - poor A.S.S. and the image factor. The Swift is not perfect either and has its own set of flaws but the Maruti tag and overall sporty-younger image of the car goes a long way in attracting the non-technical, non enthusiastic car driver. For the enthusiasts, the handling and dynamics of the car seals the decision in favour of the Swift.

The Vista being a TATA, an Indian brand and a taxi driver's dream car hurts its image. It does the job equally well as the Swift.....well almost. And offers a ton of extra cabin space too. And yeah, it is cheaper than the Swift.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:13   #52
BHPian

Simply put: Swift is bought from the heart & Vista by the mind. Its an old mind vs heart decision here.
Maverick1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 22:52   #53
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Do you think I am also lucky too? I am using Indica -xeta for the last 5 yrs. I am also quite happy with my ownership experience. I mean in terms of the amount of money that I spent compare to the value that I got. I also have not much issue with TASC either. In most cases, they are very supportive so far.
+1. 6 year, 50000 km old Xeta. Doesnt see the service except for regular service. Still take it for 2000 km long distance trips without worry. Reliability issues are mostly over hyped. Its more a result of bad maintenance/ rough handling than a n issue with the car (except for wheel alignment )
Old 9th March 2012, 00:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Here is one more reason why:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...a-sighhhh.html

This also puts many people off including me. I wouldn't want to be seen in something that remotely looks like an Indica. Reason? The old Indica is a taxi.

Come to think of it, that might be one reason why the Aria failed too. The Aria looks like a BIIIG Indica Vista. Look at the XUV500 in comparison. The XUV is a runaway hit. And Mahindra is an Indian manufacturer too. So no 'snob' value there.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
No Swift has ever failed?

Taxi image?

P.S. A lot of people say that fun factor is absent in the Vista! ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I drove a Swift from Bangalore to Cochin, which i think qualifies for a long drive. Our clutch failed and and reverse gear stopped working. Now there is a common myth that even a village yokel can repair a Maruti, which to my dismay was just that- a myth. Clutch issue was sorted but we had to live with no reverse gear the whole trip. We have a Maruti 800 at home which needs servicing like a baby needs diapers. So you are right, Swift fails like I am sure Vista would too. People just like to trumpet the "reliability" fact or maybe its just one side of their experience.

Taxi image i think has more to do with people who drive it rather than the car itself. The Taxi drivers have been such a painful lot to deal with that people are turned off just by their vision - i mean, one look at indica and your brain starts making all kinds of association. These un-assuming, simple minded folks have done a great disservice to Indica.

I test drove Vista along with a friend who owns Honda City, we both loved the way it drove, handled and inspired confidence. I had fun driving it at 140+ and not even feeling it. Here is my TD experience
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...vs-ritz-5.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
No wonder we have Vista owners falling head over heels to come out in support of their "baby". However , to quote the puchline of the Honda Jazz - "WHY SO SERIOUS?"

VFM is for the people who buy apparel at Big Bazaar. The biggest feature of the Swift is - IT TUGS AT YOUR HEART STRINGS !! both owners and passerby's alike.
I am sure people who own Vista are talking about their ownership experience and unfortunately they are satisfied with their cars, so if that is termed as falling "head over heels" - i mean what can i say to you!!

And i am sensing a hint of condescension ( to put it mildly) in your VFM comment. I could turn it around and make disparaging observations too but that serves no point. Every car tugs at her owner's heart Swift or Vista!! I did not even consider Swift as one of the contenders in my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
if not for the AC failure on the TD car, we would have had a Vista right now.
I had followed your comments and was shocked at your 180* turn around -to paraphrase you - "we can buy much better cars at Rs6L+ than cheap ...".

Anyway, i really do think Swift is over-rated, it is a good car, but over-rated. Similarly Vista is a good car but under-rated and someone captured it brilliantly when he said that these two have been around long enough and it just reflects the market reality of how they pare up. Vista refresh will go a long way to change things but it will take time.
wickedchauhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:18   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

The only issue that I have with Vista is its centre mounted instrument cluster which is very distracting. I am 6ft tall and just love the spacious interiors of the Indica and the Vista.
PS: I have booked a Swift VDi.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:29   #57
BHPian

Sir, I have been driving the Vista close to 4 years now and the central mounted dashboard has been the least distracting. Its in fact a boon on city roads.
Even I was quite apprehensive about this since I had never driven a car with a central mounted console. But then not putting in my money just because of that was not a good enough reason to buy it.

Congrats on the Swift booking. Hope you get the delivery soon.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The only issue that I have with Vista is its centre mounted instrument cluster which is very distracting. I am 6ft tall and just love the spacious interiors of the Indica and the Vista.
PS: I have booked a Swift VDi.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 14:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

+1

I was VERY skeptical of the center mounted console but it did not stop me from getting the Vista. It did not take much for me to get used to it, and my dad did not have any issues at all with it though this is the first car in his long driving history with a center console.

I agree that this actually helps in aiding the visibility. The main draw back is, passengers in the car can also see what speed you are doing

My vista is going to be 2 year old, and I am 100% happy that I choose Vista. As some people have pointed out, Vista is a choice from head - a choice which comes from head, but pulls the strings of your heart once you start the relation.

OT: I have driven etios also, and between the center mounted console of Vista and etios, I will pick vista any day because the large dial gives excellent readability - I had hard time reading the small gauges on etios.

Last edited by theexperthand : 9th March 2012 at 14:25.
Old 9th March 2012, 14:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
If Swift is the Pulsar then Vista is an Amby. I mean half the common people cannot find the difference between a Indica and the Vista. Vista might be a good product but you simply cannot deny it is perceived to be a taxi by the masses and you cannot run away from that fact. Even the new Swift looks far too similar to the old one but at-least people do not mistake it for a taxi . As i have said car buying is an individual trait but sales figure imply what the masses want and most masses buy with the head than heart especially in this segment. So if you are telling me Indica's taxi image and similarity to old Indica is a non factor then you are lying to yourself. The Indica sales [both old and new one put together] aren't patch on the Swift sales and i am afraid the perceived opinion of the masses is that the Swift is way better overall car then the Vista and that too by a big margin.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 9th March 2012 at 14:40.
Old 9th March 2012, 14:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

I prefer Vista over Swift for space, ride control and important for me, getting in and out.
Driver seat height suits me, the feel of big car when seated in the rear impressed me.

A S S - we never had any problem. My friend has a Vista. All the problems that cropped up ( right power window failure, AC button failure, power steering unit failure) were all sorted out, the respective units replaced under warranty without a murmur.

I had a 2002 Indica which I sold a month ago. The car did 2.90 lakh kilometres without an engine overhaul. It broke down thrice - all the three times due to snapped dynamo belt. Used to return 21 kmpl non AC.

The positioning of Meter cluster in Vista was never a reason for any sort of inconvenience except one - the back seat drivers have a clear view of the metres and would yell every now and then at the speeds.

Why dont other cars which have centrally mounted metre cluster evoke the kind of derisive response Vista evokes? What about Spart and Etios?

Last edited by simplyself : 9th March 2012 at 14:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks