Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 16:49   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP! Nissan Sunny CVT (Automatic) spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Because I drove older Honda City CVT a lot and did not find any rubber band effect
The 2nd gen Honda City indeed suffered from the rubber-band issue which is common to all CVT cars (including the Audi A4). Of course, you might have driven it with a light foot and thus, didn't feel it. However, at the times when you are looking for "instant go" (i.e. kick down mode), all you are left with is a rising rpm needle and no real "go". The response time in such driving situations is pathetic. Drive the current Honda City with the CVT back to back to gauge the difference. Of course, the fact that the 2nd gen had only 77 BHP didn't help matters either.

Last edited by GTO : 21st March 2012 at 16:50.
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:36   #17
BHPian

The only CVT experience I have was on a rental '10 Mitsu Lancer. I would never drive that thing again.

And please don't get me wrong; both my current cars are automatic and I don't have complains. Especially with the 7G-Tronic!
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:13   #18
BANNED

Many of the modern CVTs try to minimise the robber-banding by defining fixed ratios as well. So the CVT is confined to a much smaller rev range. I have not heard much about the Altis AT which is also a CVT.

A CVT has an advantage of being far more compact.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Hey Guys,

Please find the Nissan Sunny Pic spotted near Cubbon Park in Bangalore

Looks likePETROL AT( DZIRE AT , FIESTA AT, RAPID AT) affect

My Few Observations

1. Very Very Small badge in Rear Glass mentioning "CVT"
(I think hardly one can see in the pic)

2. Car looked like petrol XL (Mid variant) as Silencer was silver in colour and not with black smoke, so i guess its not a diesel

3. Driver when driving released the brake and car typically moved forward, typically like in any Automatic Transmission
1. I don't see any CVT badge. Could you zoom in or show us where it was located?

2. I think its been a long time since diesel cars spewed black smoke anyway, the diesel comes with a DCI badge which is missing so the natural assumption is petrol

3. Um, unless you got a good look at the driver's feet, i dont think this is a very good indicator
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:25   #20
Team-BHP Support

^^This post from the Fluence official review may give an indication of the CVT behavior. AFAIK, Renault’s CVT box is sourced from Nissan.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2362138
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:37   #21
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
1. I don't see any CVT badge. Could you zoom in or show us where it was located?

2. I think its been a long time since diesel cars spewed black smoke anyway, the diesel comes with a DCI badge which is missing so the natural assumption is petrol

3. Um, unless you got a good look at the driver's feet, i dont think this is a very good indicator
Mate.... Looks like you work for Nissan the way you are asking questions...

Regarding my observations.

1. The badge is so small to show you. Rear windscreen is reflected by sun, the badge is too small to Zoomify for you

2. I din mean by saying that todays diesel emit black smoke. Any diesel car during Normal driving leaves black soot at the end of the silencer. If you have a diesel car go check for
yourself by touching the tail end with your fingers, and am well aware that Nissan diesels have pure drive dci badge...

3. I can surely make out when a car starts moving in the traffic signal whether it's AT or MT. It's from the car driving behaviour that you can make out. But am 100% sure that it's an cvt and no need to give any justifications here.

Last edited by PCS : 23rd March 2012 at 10:39. Reason: Small corrections
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Mate.... Looks like you work for Nissan the way you are asking questions...

Regarding my observations.

1. The badge is so small to show you. Rear windscreen is reflected by sun, the badge is too small to Zoomify for you

2. I din mean by saying that todays diesel emit black smoke. Any diesel car during Normal driving leaves black soot at the end of the silencer. If you have a diesel car go check for
yourself by touching the tail end with your fingers, and am well aware that Nissan diesels have pure drive dci badge...

3. I can surely make out when a car starts moving in the traffic signal whether it's AT or MT. It's from the car driving behaviour that you can make out. But am 100% sure that it's an cvt and no need to give any justifications here.
Forgive me if i offended you. The reason i asked was because:

1. I wonder why badging would be placed on a windscreen

2. Agreed. Just that the way you put it brought back memories of good ol' ambys that used to put out huge smoke grenades

3. I still don't think i agree with you on that. It could easily be a function of driving style and is not a sound basis to confirm the type of gearbox. not seeking justification, just my opinion.

All that being said, how many people would actually be willing to pick up a CVT?? Judging by the SX4's success (or lack of it) my guess would be not too many
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW in the second-gen Honda City the only badging identifying the CVT version was a grey decal on the black band at the bottom of the rear windscreen - very easy to miss. Maybe its a Japanese thing?!?
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:47   #24
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
Forgive me if i offended you. The reason i asked was because:

2. Agreed. Just that the way you put it brought back memories of good ol' ambys that used to put out huge smoke grenades

3. I still don't think i agree with you on that. It could easily be a function of driving style and is not a sound basis to confirm the type of gearbox. not seeking justification, just my opinion.

All that being said, how many people would actually be willing to pick up a CVT?? Judging by the SX4's success (or lack of it) my guess would be not too many
Just FYI. Some manufacturers mention either engine tech or transmission tech on the rear glass. For eg

Old Honda city , Honda accord, Honda crv have i-vtec on the glass

New corolla altis has cvt-i on the rear windscreen. Donno the reason for mentioning it....
Old 24th March 2012, 15:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SX4 has a conventional AT box and not a CVT. I think you meant AT in general.
Old 26th March 2012, 09:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
BTW in the second-gen Honda City the only badging identifying the CVT version was a grey decal on the black band at the bottom of the rear windscreen - very easy to miss. Maybe its a Japanese thing?!?
Quote:
Just FYI. Some manufacturers mention either engine tech or transmission tech on the rear glass. For eg

Old Honda city , Honda accord, Honda crv have i-vtec on the glass

New corolla altis has cvt-i on the rear windscreen. Donno the reason for mentioning it....
Funny enough my Vento has NO visual cues to differentiate it from a highline petrol MT. Petrol vs Diesel is easy thanks to the TDI badging on the latter. But there is nothing to tell what transmission a petrol highline is running. It's very frustrating when I am trying to determine how many of the very small number of petrol Ventos I spot on the road are automatics

Back on-topic, I share the frustration of the many here wondering why manufacturers don't focus more on diesel automatics. With the exception of Hyundai, the rest of the diesel ATs are all from one segment higher.

Good luck to Nissan though- the Sunny seems to be a nice car and this is a good option for someone looking for a decent AT offering.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Oh no! It appears, from a report in Autocar, that the Sunny CVT will premiere in India only in Feb 2013 - close to a year away. If the idea is to pitch it against the Dzire AT (as per the report) I think a year is too long a time to react.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/295...l+saloons+feed

Last edited by wilful : 26th March 2012 at 21:35. Reason: link not inserted
Old 26th October 2012, 00:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this a couple of hours back. Seems like it is a diesel because there was the pure drive badge on the bootlid. Clicked the pic at a signal, the driver tried scaring me by reversing a bit and flashing tail lights! :P

Tried peeking at the interiors to check for an AT, but could not do it on the move. It was the XL variant BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP! Nissan Sunny CVT (Automatic) spotted-dsc_0502.jpg  

Last edited by DRIV3R : 26th October 2012 at 00:23.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:43   #29
BHPian

Is Nissan set to launch yet another variant of the Sunny ?

Have spotted several Nissan Sunny Mules being tested in the city prior to their Launch.

Now now considering that is has been sometime that the Sunny was launched, was pleasantly surprised to see this stickered Sunny still doing some tests. It was driven by a factory employee on Porur main road near DLF . Wondering what it could be ?

SCOOP! Nissan Sunny CVT (Automatic) spotted-c360_20121026165930.jpg

SCOOP! Nissan Sunny CVT (Automatic) spotted-c360_20121026170001.jpg

I also managed to spot a Duster being tested. It had some minor stickering and was extremely dirty . Spotted that at Khader Nawaz Khan Road , Nungambakam, Chennai yesterday at 5:00 PM. But couldn't take pictures of that
Old 15th March 2013, 17:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Sunny Automatic (Petrol only again)

ACI have test driven the Nissan Sunny Petrol (CVT) Automatic variant, & here is link to their test drive report:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...t-drive.aspx/1

The mileage is rated 17.97 kmpl & most things are as expected similar to Scala automatic. The expected price range for the car as per them is Rs.8.7 lacs )ex-showroom, Delhi) which is at par with most cars in the segment IMO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks