Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 20:43   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid Catches Fire In Delhi

I have a more basic question:

The post says, the owner came back to see his car in flames.
That means the car was at rest and ignition off (supposedly).
I assume that because, there was no one in the car.

Can a car catch fire even when the ignition is off? That means at least
all the electrical sinks would also be cut-off from the battery till some button is pressed.

(Correct me if I am wrong).
Old 4th July 2012, 20:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have a more basic question:

Can a car catch fire even when the ignition is off? That means at least
all the electrical sinks would also be cut-off from the battery till some button is pressed.

(Correct me if I am wrong).
You are correct in the normal sense, disconnecting the ignition will prevent any circuits from the battery. However if a non standard wiring is made (example amp, fog lamps, extra electrical fittings etc), there is a chance that local mechanics might make faulty circuits which are not earthed/always on etc which may lead to short circuits and fire. Secondly the battery acid may sometimes spill onto its own connecting wires, eat up the insulation and start fires...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 22:11   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
we're wondering what could make a 2 months old car wobble upon gentle braking and completely go out of control. S.
I am quite shocked to read this. Have you considered the possibility of the workshop forgetting to tighten the wheel nuts on one of the wheels due to negligence? When these nuts are not tightened properly it is quite possible for the car to run for a few short runs without much trouble. But at higher speeds there is little chance. Your colleague can consider himself very very lucky. Most definitely the workshop has messed up somewhere. Is he considering legal action?
Old 4th July 2012, 22:40   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat

I am quite shocked to read this. Have you considered the possibility of the workshop forgetting to tighten the wheel nuts on one of the wheels due to negligence? When these nuts are not tightened properly it is quite possible for the car to run for a few short runs without much trouble. But at higher speeds there is little chance. Your colleague can consider himself very very lucky. Most definitely the workshop has messed up somewhere. Is he considering legal action?
Lucky he is. It took the couple four days to get out of shock. To add to the woes, it was a nightmare to get the police to register an FIR.

He wants to go legal but not clear how to go about it. Is there a way to get an independent technical evaluation done to prove that car malfunctioned? It may be even difficult to prove loose nuts. The vehicle is currently lying with the dealer.

The invoice issued during hub replacement doesn't mention the nature of work carried out. It just mentions "work done under warranty". Simply clever.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
The C pillar has broken, one rear wheel (different from the one on which hub was replaced) got detached from the car and was found in nearby fields, two other rims broke, all four tyres (OEM Apollos) burst, windscreen and rear glass shattered. The car has totalled with repair estimate at over 90% of ex showroom value.
I dont think this all happens just because a wheel had got detached at speed lower than 80 kmph. What most probably happens is the car gets dragged on the un-wheeled (?) hub for a few metres, then comes to rest.

Swerving and getting hit to the divider/poles is also entirely possible.

To be frank, I dont see why all the 4 tyres should get burst at the same time, 2 rims broken, etc.

A mere wheel disengagement wouldnt cause all this, especially at speeds mentioned.

However, it is good that the occupants are not hurt.
Old 5th July 2012, 17:27   #66
BHPian

I've been off tbhp for some time now, and looks like all hell has broken loose for VW-Skoda owners with such knee-jerking incidents. Or is it that incidents from other car manufacturers have not been reported yet? Quick googling tells me that incidents of this nature are spread all over multiple brands.

While 'we' are all still eagerly and foolishly waiting for a response from VW/Skoda, here are some tips I pulled off a website and can benefit the rest of the people here on the forum. The gist of it is DIYers and after-market ICEers need to be cautious about their wirings, fuseages, etc.

How to avoid a car fire?
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks