Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 11:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated SsangYong Rexton!

I think at the correct price, specifications and features, M&M has the potential to sell this SUV in the 18-20 Lacs bracket.

The only option if someone wants a proper SUV in that price range is the Fortuner whic costs close to 25 Lacs. If M&M can price the Rexton at an on road price of about 20 Lacs and offer more power, more comfort and more features than the Fortuner, it can find many takers.

Yes, I feel they should launch the Rexton as an M&M and not SsangYong.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:27   #32
BHPian

Mr Anand Mahindra has just tweeted asking "Will it do well here in India" about the rextron. if you have any feedback or suggestion, Just Tweet. its best way to be heard by the person who matters! I just did asking him to sell it as XUV700 with VFM pricing.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Sir, the moment we are plus talking about 20L + ! Its no longer only about the VFM proposition. Features and Equipment are a given and brand value is very imp.

What the XUV 500 did was in fact offer a car no one had offered before and with equipment that was unheard of in even sedans of a similar price level. It filled a void in the market place. The Rexton on the other hand is entering a well established market.
Brand value matters in all segments today. What matters even more than brand is it's the overall value proposition which is brand + ....

Also initially it was thought that the XUV would do an ARIA in the pricing game, which it didn't. After all ARIA was also aiming for the same place. Albeit at a more ambitious price point.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

A nice video showcasing all the features of the Rexton W -

raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

I saw a black Rexton today and it was looking very good. I don't know about the credentials of the vehicle as an SUV but it is better than many on the looks department. It looked quite imposing too.
Old 3rd June 2012, 01:11   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder if M&M will manage to get a SatNav that works in India fitted into / integrated with the Infotainment system that the vehicle would have by default. (Othewise the XUV would have a at least one significant feature more than the Rexton.) It does seem to be in the Santa Fe league and its pricing will depend on how they bring it into India.

It looks great and can easily take on the Fortuner if priced atleast a couple of Lacs lower for the AT 4X4 version which the Fortuner has skipped for India for now. A shorter version of this same advt - with some of the landscape views removed - the same model (as in person in the advt not the car) could even work for India with an Indian voice over.
Old 3rd June 2012, 01:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I think at the correct price, specifications and features, M&M has the potential to sell this SUV in the 18-20 Lacs bracket.

The only option if someone wants a proper SUV in that price range is the Fortuner whic costs close to 25 Lacs. If M&M can price the Rexton at an on road price of about 20 Lacs and offer more power, more comfort and more features than the Fortuner, it can find many takers.

Yes, I feel they should launch the Rexton as an M&M and not SsangYong.
Other than the brand, the Fortuner is a bad drive. I've driven one extensively and it feels like a boat with wallows and an elephant without brakes. Plus it provides you nothing in terms of interior for the whopping amount of money (for me atleast) you spend!

So partly, it sells cause it has the Toyota badge and cause it came at a time when we didn't have as many options as we do today.

I guess M&M have to provide a quality product that will last and age gracefully and feels plush from inside. I wouldn't mind if it doesn't undercut by as wide as a 5lac margin. It wouldn't prudent to assume that the Ssangyong won't sell unless its at a discount to Fortuner if it actually is a good product. But it will definitely take time to get steady & respectable numbers cause it doesn't have a badge.

But i agree that the M&M badge is more acceptable somehow than Ssangyong. Just try saying the names and you know.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 12:30   #38
BHPian

- From information that I have the Rexton will be available in both MT and AT versions (6 speed and 5 speed respectively).

- The version to be launched will be the facelifted one, not the pre-face-lift.

- Mahindra was waiting for the launch in Korea to start assembley here, else they could have very well launched the older version much earlier.

I have personally driven both the MT and AT versions - the AT was quite responsive, thanks to good amount of torque. With beige / black interiors and enough fake wood to keep us happy, I have no doubt this will pull the crowds.

It may not cause a stampede in showrooms like the XUV, but it will definitely wake up the Fortuner from its nice, undisturbed slumber
Aragorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 12:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
- From information that I have the Rexton will be available in both MT and AT versions (6 speed and 5 speed respectively).
This is great.

Quote:
- The version to be launched will be the facelifted one, not the pre-face-lift.
This is even better. The facelifted version looks way better.

Quote:
- Mahindra was waiting for the launch in Korea to start assembley here, else they could have very well launched the older version much earlier.
Good decision by M&M. Now when can we expect the launch here?

Quote:
I have personally driven both the MT and AT versions - the AT was quite responsive, thanks to good amount of torque. With beige / black interiors and enough fake wood to keep us happy, I have no doubt this will pull the crowds.
ACI reviewed the older Rexton and were of the opinion that the performance is not that good. Hope that has changed with the new model.

Quote:
It may not cause a stampede in showrooms like the XUV, but it will definitely wake up the Fortuner from its nice, undisturbed slumber
Cmon now, reveal the expected pricing too!
Old 4th June 2012, 12:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Cmon now, reveal the expected pricing too!
Raj, that is as far as my intelligence takes me! I have just put together what I have heard from a lot of folks, just hope my summary statements turn out to be true

Last edited by Aragorn : 4th June 2012 at 12:48. Reason: spelling
Old 4th June 2012, 12:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
With beige / black interiors and enough fake wood to keep us happy, I have no doubt this will pull the crowds.
In the face lift version also they don't seem to ave reworked the interior, which looks a bit dated. Did the one you drove had new interiors?
Old 4th June 2012, 13:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In the face lift version also they don't seem to ave reworked the interior, which looks a bit dated. Did the one you drove had new interiors?
Had driven the older version - long time back
Old 4th June 2012, 17:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

I would like to see how big it is as compared to XUV. Any comparision pictures available?
Old 4th June 2012, 18:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I would like to see how big it is as compared to XUV. Any comparision pictures available?
The following figures are of the pre-facelifted Rexton but I dont think there will be any major difference. This can give you an idea -

Rexton :
Length = 4720 mm
Width = 1870 mm
Height = 1830 mm
Wheelbase = 2820 mm
Gross Weight = 2760 Kg

XUV 5OO :
Length = 4585 mm
Width = 1890 mm
Height = 1785 mm
Wheelbase = 2700 mm
Gross Weight = 2450 Kg

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th June 2012 at 18:02.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks