Old 16th May 2012, 20:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated SsangYong Rexton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Attachment 927924
Attachment 927925

Source : Updated SsangYong Rexton coming soon - News - Autocar India

I fail to understand why M&M wants to launch the old and outdated Rexton when the facelift is ready to be unveiled.

Another article : Mahindra’s Saangyong to showcase revamped Rexton SUV at the 2012 Busan Auto Show | IndianCarsBikes.in

I think Mahindra will launch this version in India and not the pre facelift one. I know Autocar test drove the pre facelift one and stated that it was going to be launched here, but we need to keep in mind that sometimes Autocar or any other magazine for that matter plant stories which are based on rumours or speculation as they need to have a new cover story every month. One should always take it with a pinch of salt, there are plenty of cars test driven or previewed in Autocar that never made it to our shores.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:21   #17
BHPian

Going by mahindras midas touch recently, i hope they launch the face lifted rextron. After thier recent efforts (Xylo makeover, Logan etc) & stupendous success of XUV, i am sure mahindra realized design is important to succeed in India. Rextron should launch around 18 lakhs & if it is launched with the new design, it could do well.

I also think they should name it XUV700 and sell it with the Mahindra badge. Never say never.

Last edited by urajkumar : 17th May 2012 at 10:23.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:28   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Korando will be positioned above the XUV and will take on the Captiva, Outlander, Yeti etc.
Rexton will clearly be aimed at the Fortuner, Pajero Sport buyer.
Suddenly there will be loads of choice for the Indian SUV buyer who is seeking different value propositions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
True, but that would mess up their Korando pricing. I think they have gone on record to say that SsangYong products would be priced higher than M&M. So the modest 5 seater Korando with 2L and 173 bhp comes in at 16-20L range and the Rexton above 20L.

That is the confusing part on how they would be handling this. My take they should price the Korando alongside
XUV and let people side what they want.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
True, but that would mess up their Korando pricing. I think they have gone on record to say that SsangYong products would be priced higher than M&M. So the modest 5 seater Korando with 2L and 173 bhp comes in at 16-20L range and the Rexton above 20L.

That is the confusing part on how they would be handling this. My take they should price the Korando alongside
XUV and let people side what they want.
I dont think M&M would like to position this with the XUV and hurt XUV's sales.

There is a wide gap left untouched - 16-23 Lacs. M&M can position the Korando between 16-19 Lacs (on road) and the Rexton at 19-23 Lacs (on road).

Somehow I feel the Korando wont find many buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Just a wild thought.

Mini Xylo 5-7L
Xylo 8-10L
Scorpio 10-12L
XUV 13-15L
Korando 16-18L
Rexton 19-20L

Basically, fill the entire space between 5L-20L like what Maruti has done to the small car space and Ensure that there is an SUV/UV for every budget buyer in that price range.
+10.

For any person who wants to buy a UV, the M&M can be a one stop shop or atleast a must visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
I also think they should name it XUV700 and sell it with the Mahindra badge. Never say never.
Even I feel they should launch these cars under the M&M brand. Currently, brand value of M&M is higher than SsangYong, in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Korando will be positioned above the XUV and will take on the Captiva, Outlander, Yeti etc.
Rexton will clearly be aimed at the Fortuner, Pajero Sport buyer.
Suddenly there will be loads of choice for the Indian SUV buyer who is seeking different value propositions!
Gosh! Who will buy a Rexton when there are options like Pajero and Fortuner?
Old 17th May 2012, 10:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont think M&M would like to position this with the XUV and hurt XUV's sales.

There is a wide gap left untouched - 16-23 Lacs. M&M can position the Korando between 16-19 Lacs (on road) and the Rexton at 19-23 Lacs (on road).

Somehow I feel the Korando wont find many buyers.

I agree to that. But then as you say, if Korando is priced higher, there wont be much takers.
From that point of view they need to reduce the pricing in some way (also see they also dont hurt XUV).
Maybe de-tune the engine to lower specs and sell it in the 10-13L range.

For Rexton, if one can afford 20L to pay, he/she would definitely be willing to stretch and look at Fortuner.
Thats my only point. Anything about 18L and above, I dont know how would the Mahindra brand sell.
(Just like the Aria story).
Old 17th May 2012, 10:51   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If there is a 2 lac price difference between the Fortuner and the Rexton there are enough people in the market who will consider it.

If the Fortuner costs about 26.5 and the Pajero Sport also costs roughly the same once they start local assembly, then if M&M place the Rexton at say 23.5 or 24, there will certainly be many takers.

So it could work like this:

1. XUV -14 -16
2. Korando - 18-20
3. Rexton - 22-24

Give or take a bit here and there.

Of course, this is only surmise, but it is quite possible because they will have to maneuvre within the available room in terms of pricing!

While Ssangyong may not have any brand/badge value here as of now, I am sure that M&M will take the requisite care and effort to build the same in India. One advantage is that the Ssangyong brand/ badge carries no baggage with the Indian consumers unlike say the Logan/ Verito and/ or Renault and Fiat's second coming.

Quote:
Gosh! Who will buy a Rexton when there are options like Pajero and Fortuner?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th May 2012 at 10:53.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If there is a 2 lac price difference between the Fortuner and the Rexton there are enough people in the market who will consider it.

If the Fortuner costs about 26.5 and the Pajero Sport also costs roughly the same once they start local assembly, then if M&M place the Rexton at say 23.5 or 24, there will certainly be many takers.

So it could work like this:

1. XUV -14 -16
2. Korando - 18-20
3. Rexton - 22-24

Give or take a bit here and there.

Of course, this is only surmise, but it is quite possible because they will have to maneuvre within the available room in terms of pricing!

While Ssangyong may not have any brand/badge value here as of now, I am sure that M&M will take the requisite care and effort to build the same in India. One advantage is that the Ssangyong brand/ badge carries no baggage with the Indian consumers unlike say the Logan/ Verito and/ or Renault and Fiat's second coming.
If they launch the facelifted Rexton as a 7 seater (renderings shown a few days back) with the fortuner driveline and the awd and esp/abs package with climate control then I would agree with you. Or else ..
Old 21st May 2012, 14:33   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The older Rexton had the earlier mercedese family looks upfront and one would invariably mistake it to be one. The newer one seems to have it's own identity.

M&M vehicle don't really sell due to their looks but due to perceived VFM factors.

I believe M&M need to price this significantly lower than the Fortuner (close to Aria or max upto 1L more) to see it move in numbers. Yes that will effectively further hit the already in trouble Aria numbers but that is the price point the Rexton needs to be at. Also coming from M&M the market would expect that price point especially after the XUV.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

The facelifted Rexton has been unveiled :

Updated SsangYong Rexton!-rexton.jpg

More details here -

Ssangyong unveils the facelifted Rexton W SUV at the 2012 Busan Motor Show | IndianCarsBikes.in

I wish M&M launches this SUV here instead of the older Rexton.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 10:40   #25
BHPian

Whooooo! This is what i would classify as a face-lift! Trust Shrawan from IAB to bring it to us with some awesome pics and details! It is indeed looking stunning now & the video is nice too. It just does not relate to the old rextron at all.

Ssanyong Rexton facelift (Rexton W) presented in Busan - Indian Autos Blog

Mahindra: Bring this as XUV 700 with your value for money pricing & watch this take on the Fortuner head-on! While i am sure Toyota's reliability will come into play but if we go by the recent trends, you might just make a dent in Fortuners free run!
Attached Thumbnails
Updated SsangYong Rexton!-ssangyongrextonw1.jpg  

Updated SsangYong Rexton!-ssangyongrextonw2.jpg  

Last edited by urajkumar : 26th May 2012 at 10:41.
urajkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 10:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Superb man... This actually looks great. The pic I posted dint do it any justice.

This looks like a proper SUV and not a softroader. I love the way the headlights and tail lights are designed and even the rear glass looks uber cool.

Also impressive is the way 'Rexton' is inscribed on the hatch. This SUV looks classy.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Looks decent, even though not as good as the concept rendering. But they seem to have not touched the interiors which looks quite dated
New SsangYong Rexton W - Gallery - Autocar India
Old 26th May 2012, 13:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Will be interesting to know if they call it the XUV 700 by Mahindra or they call it the SsangYong Rexton in India ?

I don't know if too many people will want to be drive around in a 20 L + Mahindra and on the other hand Ssangyong aint no aspirational brand.

The XUV 500 success may not be enough for Mahindra to pull off a 20L Car IMHO under the Mahindra brand.
Old 26th May 2012, 16:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Will be interesting to know if they call it the XUV 700 by Mahindra or they call it the SsangYong Rexton in India ?

I don't know if too many people will want to be drive around in a 20 L + Mahindra and on the other hand Ssangyong aint no aspirational brand.

The XUV 500 success may not be enough for Mahindra to pull off a 20L Car IMHO under the Mahindra brand.
Well if they put the twin turbo 220 bhp unit they are developing at Ssangyong with a 6 speed and the awd - then they could. It all depends on the value proposition. And in today's market no one comes close to Mahindra where VFM is concerned.

We all thought the same before the XUV500 , but how the tables turned overnight when the prices were announced.
Old 26th May 2012, 16:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Well if they put the twin turbo 220 bhp unit they are developing at Ssangyong with a 6 speed and the awd - then they could. It all depends on the value proposition. And in today's market no one comes close to Mahindra where VFM is concerned.

We all thought the same before the XUV500 , but how the tables turned overnight when the prices were announced.
Sir, the moment we are plus talking about 20L + ! Its no longer only about the VFM proposition. Features and Equipment are a given and brand value is very imp.

What the XUV 500 did was in fact offer a car no one had offered before and with equipment that was unheard of in even sedans of a similar price level. It filled a void in the market place. The Rexton on the other hand is entering a well established market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks