Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 16:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Was the older model better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
I still think that there hasn't been a better driver's car than the old Octavia vRS in our market. It looked awesome with the bodykit, it was a rocket, it handled beautifully and it was quite well priced. The old vRS was something that a normal person could aspire for.
The new vRS may be better in all departments, but has a stratospheric price tag and it still does not pull at the heart strings like the older model.

SUPER point. I was driving my Cruze the other day at very naughty speeds and I was taken down hard by a vRS (the older model). Granted this thing had some very evident stage-3 mods on it, but the fact remains that it handled beautifully and went like stink.
The new vRS, on the other hand, isn't as much of an upgrade over the stock model as the old vRS was. So the Skoda Octavia / Laura vRS goes down in my book as an example of the older one being better.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:36   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

SUPER point. I was driving my Cruze the other day at very naughty speeds and I was taken down hard by a vRS (the older model). Granted this thing had some very evident stage-3 mods on it, but the fact remains that it handled beautifully and went like stink.
The new vRS, on the other hand, isn't as much of an upgrade over the stock model as the old vRS was. So the Skoda Octavia / Laura vRS goes down in my book as an example of the older one being better.
THe new vRS is faster than the old vRS in its stock from. It is technologically quite superior too. It delivers Japanese car FE figures while delivering blistering perfomance at the same time. Plus it is much more relliable and easier to live with. Looks are always subjective. I still prefer the old vRS's looks over the current one. Skoda has increased the ride height of all Lauras for our market. I wish they had maintained the Euro Spec ride height and tyre & wheel size for the vRS at least. The absence of these two thing is what hurts the Laura RS's looks IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
The old vRS was something that a normal person could aspire for.
The new vRS may be better in all departments, but has a stratospheric price tag and it still does not pull at the heart strings like the older model.
Pre worshipped Laura TSi's are going for hugely discounted valuations. Just pick up one and get some mods done and voila! you've got yourself an RS. The earlier TPi engine had a lot of reliability issues. As I said earlier the TSI engined Laura is much more easier to live with.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Oh I can think of SO many cars that were better when they were older.

Zen
WagonR (its just me - I liked the old design)
Santro
Swift! (it deserved that exclamation mark)
Honda City (the oldest one is my favorite)
i10 (the facelift is downright ugly)
i20 (same as above)
Ikon (dislike the latest headlamps)
Bolero (dislike the new design)
Sumo (dislike the Grande more than the plain old Sumo)
Ambassador Avigo

New Passat
New CRV (what were they thinking?!)
2012 Civic (don't like the subtle changes they've made - they take away that elegance)
BMW 328i (bigger car and 4-cylinder engine? Really? That's sooo not BMW)

In bikes:
Pulsar (the old one was sooo nice)
CBZ
Scooty (I like the old one's simple design more than the Pep)
Old 1st August 2012, 13:28   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THe new vRS is faster than the old vRS in its stock from. It is technologically quite superior too.
Yup. The new vRS is improved in every way. I guess when they launched the older vRS, we hadn't seen anything like it in the market. That's why it got a special place in many people's hearts.

Quote:
Pre worshipped Laura TSi's are going for hugely discounted valuations. Just pick up one and get some mods done and voila! you've got yourself an RS. The earlier TPi engine had a lot of reliability issues. As I said earlier the TSI engined Laura is much more easier to live with.
Hmm... that is a very tempting thought. Must start saving...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks