Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: A serious think needed about traffic manners !!

Post Deleted by the Support : Team-BHP STRICTLY prohibits any discrimination based on caste, creed or location. We advise you to keep your posts 100% neutral, and get rid of the bias.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 13:30.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Too many people and too fewer ( narrower ) roads. Population is biggest culprit. But most important is, we lack basic manners. Jumping queues to get ahead is in our blood. Our road manners are only extension of this impatient behaviour. If a guy is good off-road, he will be good on-road, too. The worst offenders are the uneducated lot of commercial drivers, like auto, cab, bus drivers. They are just pathetic. Equally pathetic are 2-wheeler riders and pedestrians. Car drivers appear most sober of the lot on road. But ironically, the best driver title goes to long-distance truckers. They are also Indians and also they are not educated type. Yet they are the best. No honking, no lane-cutting, no sudden braking/accelerating ( ok, their vehicles can't ) and when they stop, they give plenty of time to those behind and always park on road shoulder with their parking lights on. Why this difference here, then?
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:38   #63
BHPian

Its rather very easy to point fingers at others and blame others. The simplest way to make traffic management better with lesser accidents is to follow traffic rules individually without bothering about what the person next to us does. This basic mannerism can help save lives. Its not that people are unaware, but its just that they dont care to follow rules.

The least we can do, for example, is, if it is a red light, stop. Just dont care what the person coming from behind does. This will give out a strong message to people who are sensitive around you to be sensible in roads.

follow traffic rules and drive safe
HorsPwr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:21   #64
BHPian

To the people blaming it on population and too many cars and narrow roads, go to Bangkok is all I can say. Same conditions there, but no lane jumping, pedestrian safety more important and above smooth traffic and everybody sticking to their lanes even in traffic jams. If they can do it, why can't we? Education is the key. Anyone can get a license today in India by paying around 1000-1500 bucks. It has to start from there, don't give license if you are not good enough to drive. No wonder India has the HIGHEST road fatalities in the world today.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:21   #65
BHPian

Bombay was never a city and would never be a city of natives. Its been a Cosmopolitan city ever since its existence. So lets not be irrational and blame it on a section of people. I am sure the BEST driver you had that small incident with could be a local.

That apart, how many here can answer these honestly:
1. If you see an empty city road, would you or would you not break the speed limit (60kmph or 40kmph whatever it is).
2. Do you strictly adhere to lane discipline? What is your instant reaction 'at steering' when you are in the right most lane and the vehicle in front of you decides to take a U-turn OR if a vehicle is crossing across to the other direction, do you or you not take to the left lane?
3. Do you not honk if 'you feel' the guy in front is driving rather slowly?
4. How often would you stop or slow down to let the pedestrian cross? Don't your racing genes ignite, and you play that me-first me-first game with them?

I know these are all subjective. But the only way I see to better the traffic situation is to improve your driving style and road manners. Educate your friends, family, kids and acquaintances. It is not necessary to enforce law to bring about a change. Rules will be broken, howsoever strict they might become.

I'd also like to mention a small experiment I did. My office is 17.5 kms or 20 kms from my home, depending on whether I take the city route or a detour. City, as expected is crowded, 11 traffic signals out of which 5 being the busiest in the city. The detour has much lesser traffic, and just 1 major signal.
- I drove fastest possible, not rash, but fast on both routes, breaking a few of the above rules of course . 42 mins was my best in City. Close to 24 on detour.
- I drove as calmly as possible, not sluggishly, but calmly , trying not to break any rules, giving way to pedestrians, sticking to the lane, and did not honk at all! It took me 45 mins in City and 38 on the detour.

But saving those 15 odd mins on the detour, was far less comforting than the ease with which I drove in City. At places it was bumper to bumper no doubt, but I was much more relaxed(Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan were playing). A pedestrian or two did get on my nerve, trying to misuse my resolve, bikers cut lanes incessantly, ricks were a nuisance, and the IndiCabs zoomed past, and PMT's red-metal-boxes stopped in the middle of the road, but all in all it was very very satisfying for me.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 13:31. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
CareFreeKid is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:01   #66
BHPian

^^ +1 to that. I have realized that I am fresher and more relaxed when I drive calmly. And it just delays my commute by a few minutes. Of course at times I seriously get the urge to unleash the beast hiding in the engine, but that's a different story
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:13   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Time has come for the Govt. to introduce road safety and driving etiquettes as a subject in 10th Std board exams. Education is always the key.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:47   #68
BHPian

I feel that lawlessness on the road is attributed to the fact that the driving licenses are being doled out very freely. The driving test, quite frankly, is a joke. Also it is the duty of the driving schools to teach learners about driving etiquette such as lane discipline, honking etc.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:16   #69
BHPian

This is a never ending discussion among 5-10% people who believe they ahdhere to traffic rules and have a so-called road sense.

the rest 90% are not even serious about traffic rules or the other persons safety and convenience. and now with these fast turbo multijet diesels and super bikes, i think the person driving them feels that if he is not full-throttling the car/bike then he is doing an insult to the vehicle.

i have observed that people take pride in breaking traffic (or any other) rules in general now, no one is afraid of the traffic police anymore, the jump red-lights riding triple seat in front of the cops.

and frankly i see no solution for this. we talk about young india will make the future, in fact i see people of 22-25, who are just 5-7 younger than me, they are far more impatient, all time angry and always ready to pick a fight.

again, we 10-15% people discussing and fussing over it will not make any difference, whenever i try talk to someone about following traffic rules, the reply i get is "aaj kal time kisko hai rules follow karneko, agar humne sensible driving kiya to saari duniya humse aage nikal jaaegi".

in short, there is simply nothing that can be done, and things are gonna go from worse to worst.
Old 27th March 2012, 13:31   #70
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprico4 View Post
This is a never ending discussion among 5-10% people who believe they ahdhere to traffic rules and have a so-called road sense.

"aaj kal time kisko hai rules follow karneko, agar humne sensible driving kiya to saari duniya humse aage nikal jaaegi".

in short, there is simply nothing that can be done, and things are gonna go from worse to worst.
When I drove in India I felt that I was part of this minority. Yes do our bit by sticking to traffic rules & etiquettes AND by spreading the message within our peer groups. While I have often felt frustrated that it hardly made any difference, we ought to persist with our effort. Its all about reaching the tipping point. It will take a long long time given the shambolic state of road traffic in India.

There was mention about including road traffic education as part of school curriculum. This has the potential to be a step is in the right direction but not if treated as another 'subject' and taught by teachers who are ill-trained \ indifferent to the issue.
A real game changer would be a total revamp of the licensing authority (RTOs) and the training infrastructure (driving schools, Driving instructors)

We have been successful in brining in know-how from overseas to upgrade our skills. IT, Manufacturing, telecom and many other sectors are rife with examples of improvements in processes, products, infrastructure & attitudes. We upgraded our voting (EVMs) & banking (ATMs, online banking) systems - both accessed by the masses. So its certainly not outside the realm of possibilities that we could use the same broad formula to improve the traffic situation.

I believe that a significant reasons for the present condition is that a vast majority of road users simply fail to register that there is a grave situation on hand and that remedial measures are required.
Old 27th March 2012, 14:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
It took me 45 mins in City and 38 on the detour.
But saving those 15 odd mins on the detour, was far less comforting than the ease with which I drove in City.
Hello CareFreeKid,

That is very important analysis. It clearly proves that by driving fast on normal city roads (&trafffic) one does not save much time.

Yes, it is true that you took 15 minsutes extra to reach home, but the most important thing is the state of peace of mind in which you reach your home. People generally miss this point. They have couple of exchange of hot words with auto rixa or taxi drivers & some frowns from pedestrians & their mood is spolied.

Imagine you or I reaching home in frustrated state of mind & then when wife or kid approaches us for a small things we pour out our frustration on them, leaving them emotionally hurt for next couple of days (or lifetime!!).

When we drive easy we reach office or home in a good mood & are able to tackle situations / people in a different & better way. I have always experienced this personally.

Thanks,
Old 27th March 2012, 15:10   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

We Indians in particular, appear to be genetically pre-programmed and conditioned to try to "usurp" the "First" position as much as possible, everywhere, right from the classroom, to the queue, to the bus, train, aeroplane, at a shop, at a cinema etc. The same inherent conditioning kicks in on the road as well, causing chaos.

Think of it, people who are in an aeroplane when it lands - educated executives and suchlike cant even be bothered to wait for the seat belt sign to be switched off and for the doors to open, before standing up, opening the overhead lockers and dragging their bags out, stomping on each other regardless of age or gender and pushing each other aside in their haste to be the first one off the plane.
The same people push each other aside and form parallel queues and sidle up clandestinely and blind side others, in order to be the first to board the aircraft. Even in a scenario where one's seat is pre-allocated and no one else can hijack it, this is the prevalent situation.

Can it possibly be any different in terms of behaviour on the roads? I for one, lament the state of affairs, but frankly do not think there is an easy solution for it.

In our minds, there seems to be a "perpetual shortage" of everything that we want. This misconception, coupled with an inherently "acquisitive" "self nirvana seeking" nature, causes us to be extremely pushy for fear that one may not get what one wants if one allows someone else to go first! There is no place for good manners and so on in a "still developing/ evolving society" where one has to "seize the day, if not the moment" in order to get ahead.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 16:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In our minds, there seems to be a "perpetual shortage" of everything that we want. This misconception, coupled with an inherently "acquisitive" "self nirvana seeking" nature, causes us to be extremely pushy for fear that one may not get what one wants if one allows someone else to go first! There is no place for good manners and so on in a "still developing/ evolving society" where one has to "seize the day, if not the moment" in order to get ahead.
Hello Shankar,

Well Said.

But don't you think there is indeed shortage of everything in this Country? Just have a look at our Roads, Foods, Railways Tickets, everything seems to be in short supply & people have to rush to get their share. Indian Railways has increased booking period to 120 is a clasic example of this. Schools asking for thousands (& lacs) of Rupees in donations proves that school seats are short in supply.

I am not trying to offend to any particular class or creed in this country, but in general I think, we are taught & reminded of "Shortage" right from our birth.

As a child we are forced to eat whatever served to us stating that you are lucky to get this food & look at road side kids... Same happens in schools & colleges, we are always forced to get good marks or else we will not get seat in Medical / Engineering college & we are made to study in commerce / arts colleges. The result of this is well demonstrated in movie - 3 Idiots.

I mean to say that children here are always lured with some reward if they listen & agree to their parents. Children are always motivated to come first (first here means better than other in class & not better than you I did yesterday).

I believe this mentality continues for our lifetimes & we want to be first everywhere, in office, in society & on roads..

Thanks,
Old 27th March 2012, 16:29   #74
BHPian

I'm a guy who never floored the gas pedal. However, when I got into a Maruti 800 LPG (at the driving institute), I went, "OMG! Is my parking brake engaged?" It was my first time driving a stick (apart from a Nissan Sunny that I tried in a parking lot).

On the highway, in my Maruti Esteem Di, the pedal is always floored and I still can't keep up with some of the traffic, particularly when they accelerate around trucks so I just wait it out till there's nobody quick enough behind me before I overtake. At one time, I thought the Ambassador was the only vehicle slower than the Esteem - then they launched the Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprico4 View Post
the rest 90% are not even serious about traffic rules or the other persons safety and convenience. and now with these fast turbo multijet diesels and super bikes, i think the person driving them feels that if he is not full-throttling the car/bike then he is doing an insult to the vehicle.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
We Indians in particular, appear to be genetically pre-programmed and conditioned to try to "usurp" the "First" position as much as possible....
Add to that a pre-program for 'little adjustment' ("..bhaisahib, thoda adjust kerna please!"). Five people on a train berth instead of allocated three, ten separate queues converging on three railway reservation booking windows, people hanging out of corporation buses, a few thousand vehicles on (majority of) city roads and infrastructure designed for few hundreds etc. etc. etc.

That attitude is carried in driving as well. Auto drivers would swerve suddenly(instead of braking) and expect others to adjust and brake or swerve in coordinated motion. To cross the street the driver would park his car blocking traffic flow for a good length of time, hoping others would adjust and stop or move ahead from behind the car. Corporation buses would stop bang in the middle, hoping everyone else would also stop and adjust. A few extra vehicles would cross the signal even after the light turns red, hoping the ones with a green would adjust. The list is simply endless!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks