Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 15:02   #91
BHPian

Re: A serious think needed about traffic manners !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsherlock View Post
As someone else has rightly pointed out, even if I try to follow all the rules, due to irrational and irritating behavior around me, sometimes its really hard to keep cool and one is forced to take some actions that go with the flow
You hit the nail right on its head here. It so happens with me too sometimes, but if I come across an insensitive guy who honks behind me to keep moving, I just ignore him as if I never heard his horn, and once its green, I give him a smile, implying that I heard him honking.

We should try and think from others' point of view. Imagine, we are moving on green and some guy jumps the signal from the other side and comes in front of you, we feel frustrated and furious right. Thats how others might feel when we jump the signal. Jumping signal is just another thing which makes traffic woes all the more serious.

DRIVE SAFE.
Old 28th March 2012, 15:19   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The thought is good but lets take a scenario like what i have faced in Chennai. I stop at a red light be it night or day, Traffic or no traffic. People have abused me with bad words (i cannot use them here ).
i make a point to follow the traffic rules to maximum possible extent but a lot of time one has to suffer because of other's fault.
in last six months, i have been rear ended twice because i stopped at a red light and the guy coming behind me (he was not tailgating me, and i did not stop abruptly) could not brake in time as he did not expect me to stop; and on top of it, happened at not so busy intersection in mumbai during day time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
Is there no one here from Chandigarh following this thread?
i am from chandigarh and that town has, probably, the most civilized traffic in the country.
according to me, most of that we could attribute to two things:
1 - very strict law enforcement. hats off to Ch police for that.
2 - maintenance of roads/signage (all lane markers and zebra crossings are brightly visible, roads are good, appropriate signs are placed at places, etc)

Last edited by infotech58 : 28th March 2012 at 15:20.
Old 28th March 2012, 15:56   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
...in last six months, i have been rear ended twice because i stopped at a red light and the guy coming behind me (he was not tailgating me, and i did not stop abruptly) could not brake in time as he did not expect me to stop; and on top of it, happened at not so busy intersection in mumbai during day time.
I suggest you activate the "hazard warning lights" [temporarily] before coming to halt, to give a hint for the guys at the back that you ARE going to stop at the signal. At-least this is what I do when I see guys racing behind me when I near a red light. I have seen guys braking as soon as they see the hazard lights.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th March 2012 at 15:59.
Old 28th March 2012, 16:16   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I suggest you activate the "hazard warning lights" [temporarily] before coming to halt, to give a hint for the guys at the back that you ARE going to stop at the signal.
Rather than switching on the hazard lights everytime at an intersection (which of course takes your hand off the steering wheel) a much safer approach is to tap on your brakes 3-4 times before you press on to halt.
Research has shown that blinking red light is a highly effective traffic signalling to get the attention of the drivers behind you.
You can also install a device which blinks the brake lights for you everytime you press on the brakes.
karmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 16:36   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
Rather than switching on the hazard lights everytime at an intersection (which of course takes your hand off the steering wheel)
Didnt quite understand what you meant to say! I for one use ONLY my left hand for a second or two to switch on the hazard light, while I have my right hand still on steering wheel.

Quote:
...You can also install a device which blinks the brake lights for you everytime you press on the brakes.
How feasible is this option for the thousands of vehicle owners in India?
Old 28th March 2012, 18:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in last six months, i have been rear ended twice because i stopped at a red light and the guy coming behind me (he was not tailgating me, and i did not stop abruptly) could not brake in time as he did not expect me to stop; and on top of it, happened at not so busy intersection in mumbai during day time.
Did you slowdown before coming to a halt say, 40m before the signal.

What I do for these kind of of situation is, press the brake slightly say 40m before the signal(Just to warn the vehicle behind that I might stop), have a glance in IRVM to check if anyone is tailgating, If the signal is still green or amber say 15m(or 3-4 car length) before the junction, carry on.

I will apply the above rule if the junction familiar. If not, will stop once the signal turns amber. If committed and signal turned amber as soon as you starting crossing the junction, I will still continue.

Just a question, What will you guys do, in these situation? Is there anything wrong in my approach? The figures mentioned above are just rough values.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:05   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Did you slowdown before coming to a halt say, 40m before the signal.

What I do for these kind of of situation is, press the brake slightly say 40m before the signal(Just to warn the vehicle behind that I might stop), have a glance in IRVM to check if anyone is tailgating, If the signal is still green or amber say 15m(or 3-4 car length) before the junction, carry on.

I will apply the above rule if the junction familiar. If not, will stop once the signal turns amber. If committed and signal turned amber as soon as you starting crossing the junction, I will still continue.

Just a question, What will you guys do, in these situation? Is there anything wrong in my approach? The figures mentioned above are just rough values.

yes, i slowed down applying brakes in bursts to slow down gradually and also giving warning to following vehicles. fortunately those rear ending incidents did not cause any damage to my car (only 2-3 tiny scratches on the bumber).

according to the traffic rules (do they exist in any documented form in India?) if you have entered the intersection (crossed the white line) and the light turns amber, you must not stop; if you have not yet entered the intersection and the light turns amber, you should stop.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, i slowed down applying brakes in bursts to slow down gradually and also giving warning to following vehicles. fortunately those rear ending incidents did not cause any damage to my car (only 2-3 tiny scratches on the bumber).
Then you cannot do much mate, what more should we do to warn these idiots.

Quote:
according to the traffic rules (do they exist in any documented form in India?) if you have entered the intersection (crossed the white line) and the light turns amber, you must not stop; if you have not yet entered the intersection and the light turns amber, you should stop.
Thanks for the info.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:11   #99
BHPian

How can we get a celebrity to ensdorse traffic rules?

I sincerely feel that if we can have Road Safety Campaign endorsed by filmstars across different states spreading the same message in local language, we will see a big sea of change.

Isn't there any team Bhpian who is related or is a friend of any high profile filmstar in Bollyood / Kollywood / Tollywood / Sandalwood and other states?

If team-bhp can come up with the safe practices content, we just need their support and we can make a big change.

In the meantime Guys, we all can make a difference by following rules and being patient on the road.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2012, 18:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
I said it is an option for the people who feel lazy to tap on their brakes and those who can afford. Flashing hazard lights is cumbersome while driving. If someone can't afford, then the simple solution is a 3-tap on the brakes.
I have been using this ever since I learnt driving and trust me, it works every single time no matter where I drive, inside India or in a foreign country.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:56   #101
BHPian

Haven't had that happen to me (being rear-ended) even once in 2 years of driving.

If I see a red light, I just make sure to stop slowly and gradually. That's all.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:23   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
How can we get a celebrity to ensdorse traffic rules?
In Kerala this is already running for some time. Movie stars do come up during some breaks and provide some safety tips or Do's & Dont's of driving. Not sure it is done in any other state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Haven't had that happen to me (being rear-ended) even once in 2 years of driving.
It's either that you live in a much more civilized place or more to do with luck if you ask me. I know different cases where stationary cars were rear-ended and NOT because of sudden braking. And some cases because some one tries to move thru the amber light and changing their decision last minute involving sudden braking.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:15   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can also install a device which blinks the brake lights for you everytime you press on the brakes.
Quote:
Wiring in such a way would void the warranty for new car. We need to cut and splice the wires to do this.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:30   #104
BHPian

The apologetic situation of this country is as such that the cops themselves break most if not all the regulations.
Old 30th March 2012, 00:10   #105
BHPian

Surprisingly every major road in India has its own mannerisms considering the traffic rules and driving style. . Take two examples: Bangalore mysore road and nice road , 100ft road and salem -coimbatore.

All these roads are needed different degrees of alertness and methods to negate any accidents(minor or major).

Some are having the issues of two-wheelers always overtaking simultaneously thought left and right. All are having crossing issues(be it a pedestrian or a moped or a cow ). All these are having junctions and cross junctions without any signs before it.
You can name so many issues that is valid only to one particular road or region..

One funny example i will quote: From lifestyle to garuda mall in bangalore, you have to take a right turn and drive though the right side of the road...No signs or any indications. Once you negotiate the curve , you will be surprised to see vehicles coming straight to you if you have gone to the left.

So one thing i practice after two accidents(and i am innocent as all convicts say):

I honk in every turn. I dont want any biker or cab causing me a three digit bill and three weeks of travell by auto.

I use high beam . Same reasons as mentioned above plus i dont like somebody flashes unnecessarily into my eyes.(i am well equiped to do the same if provoked

I use each and every gap to get through or to take a right/left turn as nobody shows any manners especially in Bangalore. I tried the wanna be nice guy stuff for quite some time and learned the truth in the hard way.

And one more ..i dont want to be late every day in office or to start by 7 in the morning to reach office at 10.

So accept it ..we live in India and its a country filled with people who have a middle class income and high class ego...

Btw drive safe and pay your insurance . That helps all the time!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks