Team-BHP - Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/124466-audi-launches-a8-l-4-2-tdi-official-launch-report.html)

Today, Audi has launched the A8 L 4.2 TDI q variant.

Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q001.jpg

Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q003.jpg

Priced at INR 1,00,75,000 (Ex-showroom Maharashtra)

Engine:Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q043.jpg

High Points on the A8 L 4.2 TDI q:
More from the event:
PS: The car shown in all the pictures below is exclusively customized for Abhishek Bachchan, so the actual version might vary a little. Also, this car has been bought by him and is not a token of appreciation for endorsing the brand.

Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-ab-a8.jpg

Exteriors:
Lots of chrome at the front. No cutting edge design, plain and simple.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q005.jpg

No fog lamps on the lower bumper. Chrome inserts instead.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q006.jpg

The side profile has minimum muscle, the wheel arches are subtle and maintain the classy design. Also notice the optional LED headlights.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q007.jpg

Its definitely a task to drive such a big car in the city. Forget driving, I had to walk a couple of steps backwards to fit the car in the camera frame.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q009.jpg

The only significant crease line is seen on the bonnet.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q010.jpg

Panoramic sunroof.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q011.jpg

Homogenous LED tail lights.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q012.jpg

Notice the exhaust pipe on both LHS and RHS. Bumper has chrome accent too.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q013.jpg

The 4.2 TDI quattro badging.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q014.jpg

Cast aluminium alloy wheels with 235/55 R18 rubber.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q015.jpg

Boot space : Notice the refrigerator protruding out from the back side of the seats.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q017.jpg

Interiors:
The A8 L on display had a very unique interior trim. This interior colour combination is customized for the Bachchans. A little too red? The steering definitely would have looked better if it was in black instead.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q019.jpg

Steering wheel with audio controls. Also notice the paddle shifts for the gearbox.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q020.jpg

Pop out MMI screen.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q022.jpg

MMI controls for the driver sit just below the AC controls.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q030.jpg

Sunroof controls surrounded by white ambient lighting.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q032.jpg

Electric seats - memory buttons on the driver door.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q033.jpg

Glove-box has the 6 DVD changer.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q035.jpg

Notice the rear entertainment package: Screens for both the rear passengers aesthetically mounted behind the front seats. You can see the under thigh support.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q025.jpg

MMI controls for the rear passengers. Also, the controls to adjust the rear seats. The A8 L also offers a massage-seat functionality as an option.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q026.jpg

Lots of features at the rear. Notice the 3.5mm jack in the MMI controls and the AC controls as well.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q031.jpg

A glimpse of the individual rear seats. The car is meant for 4 only.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q036.jpg

Refrigerator housed between the rear passenger seats.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q037.jpg

Rear door has an ash tray. Also notice the buttons for reclining the seats and opening the sunroof.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q038.jpg

AC vent on the B pillar for the rear passengers. Just below that is a tweeter.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q039.jpg

Ambient lighting.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q040.jpg

Even the rear passengers get a vanity mirror with illumination.
Audi launches the A8 L 4.2 TDI : Official launch report-audi-a8l-4.2-tdi-q042.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene section. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome interiors, a terrific engine, the only problem is the red leather, possibly the worst colour to have in a car of this class. This car is officially the best diesel money can buy, although, 350 a year in global sales seems a bit too low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avira_tk (Post 2860877)
the only problem is the red leather, possibly the worst colour to have in a car of this class.

As mentioned in the report, the red leather of this car was customised for the Bachchans. It's not stock.

So this is the Car he has bought for his daughter !

The interior colour is out of whack for the car. What are the default colours that Audi offers to sane people?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 2860935)
So this is the Car he has bought for his daughter !

The interior colour is out of whack for the car. What are the default colours that Audi offers to sane people?

In Audi's traditional choices you should be able to pick black, brown, beige and gray.. The usual color palette. The red is of course a custom job, I wonder if it would even be possible for a normal non celebrity person to buy one like that!

The Bachchan's do have a thing for Audi don't they?? But they've overdone it this time! That red interior looks garish. On a GT or a sports car it looks good, but in an A8? Naah. :Frustrati

Anyways, this car otherwise is quite a luxury barge ain't it! I remember the Top Gear feature on the older model when Jeremy drove it from London to Edinburgh in 1 Tank of diesel! Impressive!

I somehow like this more than the S class. Not that I have any experience with any of them. I never have even been in one stupid:, but the Audi seems to have more character than the S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2860924)
As mentioned in the report, the red leather of this car was customised for the Bachchans. It's not stock.

I forgot to explicitly state that, customization or not, this shade of red is hopeless. Audi could have displayed a car with saner leather/wood, especially that yacht deck style veneer.

This is the only large car where I like the interior better than the exterior. That rear seat, with the optional package, is to die for - even if you are a petrol head.

A good option to the 3.0 V6 diesel version.
But, the 3.0 would still count for the volumes.

A decently loaded spec like the one shown will touch 1.5 Cr OTR.

And come on Audi - LED headlights on your flagship sedan is optional (extra). Not done.

How much is the 4.2 FSI in comparison ex-showroom. If it works out 15 lakhs cheaper OTR than the diesel, I feel it would be a better choice than the diesel.

oooh, this should appeal to the kanjoos who wants his neighbors to see that he has a 1 crore car but doesn't want to give up on a lac or so worth of government subsidy benefits created for agriculture and freight.

The only sore point in that particular car are the alloys which look pretty sad! They could have given 19inch wheels as standard but then again the stiff ride may have been an issue for the back seat customers. I remember seeing an A8L with awesome looking wheels, that must have been the W12.
For me, the best looker in this segment is the Jaguar XJL hands down!
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrys (Post 2860651)
PS: The car shown in all the pictures below is exclusively customized for Abhishek Bachchan, so the actual version might vary a little. Also, this car has been bought by him and is not a token of appreciation for endorsing the brand.

So Abhishek Bachchan allowed all the media/press contingent to sit inside his car ? Doesn't he already own the 4.2 fsi A8L in white? There are pics of it in the Bollywood Stars & their Cars thread.
Btw, any news on Audi launching the A8(swb) anytime soon as they were testing it in Mumbai?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2860924)

In that case the car has been customised pretty badly. I mean the red leather would look good, IF the carpets and roof were black/dark grey and the wood was piano black.

I can't get over how no one picks up better rims for the A8. I mean the stock rims look so bad.

But good to see the A8 4.2tdi launched here officially.