Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 20:43   #1
BHPian

*Rumour* : Volkswagen Discontinues 1.6 MPI Petrol Polo- Update: now confirmed!

Perhaps its time for consolidation in Indian Car Scene. After the demise of Civic and possibly of Hyundai Accent, now the Polo 1.6 Petrol is the one that has been axed.

Quote:
...Our sources inform us that Volkswagen has stopped production of the Polo 1.6 in India. The German automaker has discontinued the Polo 1.6 variant from the Indian market due to poor demand. Dealers will be having a few units of the Polo 1.6 with them and will be offering discounts to clear stocks....

.....For just Rs. 26,500/- you get a much faster car but buyers in India always put mileage over performance. If you do the excise maths, the Polo 1.6 is priced lower then what it should be. Could VW be absorbing lower margins on the Polo 1.6?

Another reason for the poor sales of the Volkswagen Polo 1.6 could be the diesel Polo. The Polo 1.2 TDI Comfotline is just Rs. 8000/- more than the Polo 1.6........
What an anomaly? Cars like Ambassador, Lancer etc. that should have been axed generations ago continue to soldier, but cars for enthusiasts.......

However, as it is always said in business - its the game of survival of the fittest. However good may be the technology, the market always rules.

Source:Volkswagen Discontinues Polo 1.6 In India | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 21:23   #2
BHPian

re: *Rumour* : Volkswagen Discontinues 1.6 MPI Petrol Polo- Update: now confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Perhaps its time for consolidation in Indian Car Scene. After the demise of Civic and possibly of Hyundai Accent, now the Polo 1.6 Petrol is the one that has been axed.

What an anomaly? Cars like Ambassador, Lancer etc. that should have been axed generations ago continue to soldier, but cars for enthusiasts.......

However, as it is always said in business - its the game of survival of the fittest. However good may be the technology, the market always rules.

Source:Volkswagen Discontinues Polo 1.6 In India | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
That could also mean we have the 1.2 auto on the way? There are plenty rumours floating about polo automatic.

Last edited by 999 : 5th August 2012 at 21:26.
Old 5th August 2012, 21:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: *Rumour* : Volkswagen Discontinues 1.6 MPI Petrol Polo- Update: now confirmed!

Quote:

Probably this could be to give way to the 1.2TSI Petrol, which indeed is the global replacement for the old 1.6. If so, probably a good move!
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 21:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but cars for enthusiasts.......
No offence to anyone - but IMO that tag is misleading. I dont think Polo 1.6 was such a big enthusiast's car. VW's stonking 1.6 diesel would have been a different story. Anyways, to each his own.

VW made a big mistake in selecting the engine options for Polo. A 1.2 petrol and 1.5/1.6 diesel would have been a perfect choice - similar to what Hyundai offers on the i20. A powerful diesel engine would be preferred by enthusiasts and regular costumers alike. (Skoda Rapid, VW Jetta, Cruze etc for example).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th August 2012 at 21:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 21:34   #5
BHPian

Polo 1.6 would have fallen in the higher excise bracket and have to be priced higher and so VW could have phased it out. I would not feel sad about this as this 1.6 is a older generation engine if I am right. VW has smaller capacity engines like 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI which have higher performance and better fuel effeciency and they should bring it in Polo and Vento. In my opinion VW should stop competing with Maruti, Hyundai etc and position itself as a affordable premium brand for those who cannot afford Audis, BMWs and equip its cars with good engines, handling and safety features and charge premium. It should instead let Skoda compete for volumes (after improving its service ofcourse).
altius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 21:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

I hope the reason to discontinue the 1.6L Polo is because they are making way for the 1.4TSi (122PS) or the 1.2TSi (105PS). I know many people who would not mind paying 10L for a Polo with a nice petrol engine like the 1.4TSI coupled with a DSG box. Fun to drive and practical.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 23:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I hope the reason to discontinue the 1.6L Polo is because they are making way for the 1.4TSi (122PS) or the 1.2TSi (105PS). I know many people who would not mind paying 10L for a Polo with a nice petrol engine like the 1.4TSI coupled with a DSG box. Fun to drive and practical.
It's mentioned that the car is being discontinued due to poor market demand. If the car could not gather enough sales at Rs.6.5L, I'm not sure how will it gather any more sales with a 1.2TSi+DSG, which will push the cost up by atleast another 1L. Sure, some people will buy it due to the DSG, but equally some others will be deterred by the increased price. I guess, this also means Skoda will pull the plug on the 1.6 Fabia soon.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 00:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

If the Vento will continue to be available with the 1.6 Petrol, then VW should have offered the 1.6 Polo too. I don't see VW saving too much money by this move. They should have axed the 1.2 Petrol!
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 01:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Polo 1.6 just cannot be compared to the Baleno or the Palio 1.6 for a fun to drive car, it is a drab to drive and if it is returning less Kmpl, the only way for it is OUT and VW know that much better than most of us here. Good move VW, bring on the mileage crunchers.
Old 6th August 2012, 01:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No offence to anyone - but IMO that tag is misleading. I dont think Polo 1.6 was such a big enthusiast's car. VW's stonking 1.6 diesel would have been a different story. Anyways, to each his own.
As a package (for an enthusiast) the Polo 1.6 has few rivals, in my opinion.

Sure, the engine is dated and is not efficient. It lacks the punch people were looking for. But let's not take away from it, the fact that it was a brilliant car with respect to handling and feel. The steering, gearbox and pedals are an absolute joy to use. The Polo is also known for its near-perfect driving-position.

So it's still an enthusiast's car, just not a very powerful one. Not as much as the figures suggest at least.

Also, how many properly powerful hatchbacks have we had in this country? I can count them on my fingers. There was the Palio. The Swift is reasonably good too but let down by skinny tyres and an engine that tilts towards delivering economy rather than outright performance. The Punto has brilliant dynamics coupled with a superb steering, but the petrol engines lack refinement and punch. Also the gearbox is not up to the mark.
Old 6th August 2012, 07:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like VW is gearing up for the festival time with a rejig of products to be followed (hopefully) with the long-awaited Polo refresh. Even though Polo sales have picked up in July, fact is that the comparable diesel Figos are priced nearly 90k to 1 lakh cheaper.

Add the launch of the refreshed Figo, and Polo sales can potentially take a bad nosedive again. They should quickly launch the refresh and add a few features to convert the premium hatch buying crowd.
Old 6th August 2012, 07:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes another good one going the Indian way like many predecessors.
Take a look at Maruti, the Swift has never been fitted with a more powerful engine so far.
Performance is not preferred but an acceptable mileage which do not perforate the pocket is the one for the masses.
VW should have catered to those who preferred the fun of driving.
Old 6th August 2012, 07:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It's mentioned that the car is being discontinued due to poor market demand. If the car could not gather enough sales at Rs.6.5L, I'm not sure how will it gather any more sales with a 1.2TSi+DSG, which will push the cost up by atleast another 1L. Sure, some people will buy it due to the DSG, but equally some others will be deterred by the increased price. I guess, this also means Skoda will pull the plug on the 1.6 Fabia soon.
Poor market demand is there for the Polo 1.2L as well. Have a look at the July numbers.

Even the Vento with the ancient 1.6L should be rejigged with the new gen 1.4TSi technology.

When Honda have the latest i-vtec in the City and Hyundai have the VTVT Verna why is VW/Skoda trying to dump ancient 1.6L engines that guzzle fuel.

Offer the customer the latest tech with much better fuel sconomy and they may even sell the Petrol variants.

When you have a 1.6L petrol that gives 9kmpl in city conditions and a 1.6L diesel that gives 15+kmpl in the same traffic, it's obvious that no one will look at the Petrol even if it 1lakh cheaper. But, if a 1.4L TSi engine can give 12-13kmpl in traffic, then you get the customer thinking, "Do i really need the diesel?"
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 08:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Poor market demand is there for the Polo 1.2L as well. Have a look at the July numbers.

Even the Vento with the ancient 1.6L should be rejigged with the new gen 1.4TSi technology.

When you have a 1.6L petrol that gives 9kmpl in city conditions and a 1.6L diesel that gives 15+kmpl in the same traffic, it's obvious that no one will look at the Petrol even if it 1lakh cheaper. But, if a 1.4L TSi engine can give 12-13kmpl in traffic, then you get the customer thinking, "Do i really need the diesel?"
I doubt if they will think of getting the 1.4 TSI into Polo/Vento. AFAIK, the only Polo variant with 1.4 TSI is the GTI.

A Polo 1.2 TSI** (105bhp) have a claimed FE of around 16kmpl. And if it’s the 90bhp variant, the claimed figure goes up to around 18kmpl.
As you mentioned, these kind of figures could actually bring back some buyers to the petrol market.

**7-speed DSG variant
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 09:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
...The steering, gearbox and pedals are an absolute joy to use. The Polo is also known for its near-perfect driving-position.
The steering in the Polo lacks feel, which is not VW'ish at all if you have driven the one sold in Europe. Its a good chassis with good dynamics, but that lifeless EPS and the not so exciting 1.6 motor in the Indian VW takes away all the fun and it cannot be a petrolheads love machine!

I am glad VW stopped it!
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks