Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 17:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

@ akshay: i am sorry if you dint like my comment. but i have also commented about 4 other innovas in my post. so are all innovas lemon, i dont think so.
well, i am impressed with its abundant space, ride quality, interiors, comfort and reliability.

@ cooldude: dont get me wrong dude. i very much like the innova, thats the reason i bought it. in my post i have stated that i am not impressed about its safety aspect and i think i am entitled to my opinions.

i have noticed that there are some cars which are among the fav list in this forum. as soon as anything negative is said about it, it is not at all appreciated. cmon friends, then why are we wasting our time in this forum if we are not interested in accepting or learning facts about some particular car. pls dont get offended so soon.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
i have noticed that there are some cars which are among the fav list in this forum. as soon as anything negative is said about it, it is not at all appreciated.
You are right about some cars being favourite here, but wrong when you say that the forum does not accept -ve comments about them (if they deserve it ie).

You tell us that the Innova looks like crap, almost all of us would agree. But if you tell us that it is not safe, just because of a couple of dings you had or based on stuff you heard or your driver says he saw, we won't take that stuff for sure.

And when you say it is not safe, against which car are you benchmarking it ? The Scorpio, Safari etc. I hope not, because that would be far away from the facts.

There are many favourite cars here, but believe me each one of them gets thrashed royally on the forum for the cons it has.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

no, i'll never benchmark it against a scorpio or safari. these SUVs cannot be termed safe at all. and my comment on the dings was to say that the body panel is really weak.
but more important to note is that many innovas have been burnt after an accident and the toppling of the car unexpectedly. such a car is not safe for me.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:40   #79
BANNED

A member has mentioned "body panels have been heavily dented in just minor shunts",in his post. This is a good sign, it shows that the car is crash worthy as it can absorb the impact, apart for being good for pedestrian safety.
SCORPIO & SAFARI, have hard steel bodies & dont show dents on minor impacts, but in case of a mojor shunt, because the body does not crumple, the whole impact goes on to the occupants. INNOVA is much-much more safer than safari & scorpio.
Both safari & scorpio topple at just drop of a hat. INNOVA is much more stable.

Last edited by bhp1 : 10th July 2008 at 17:41.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
A member has mentioned "body panels have been heavily dented in just minor shunts",in his post. This is a good sign, it shows that the car is crash worthy as it can absorb the impact, apart for being good for pedestrian safety.
SCORPIO & SAFARI, have hard steel bodies & dont show dents on minor impacts, but in case of a mojor shunt, because the body does not crumple, the whole impact goes on to the occupants. INNOVA is much-much more safer than safari & scorpio.
Both safari & scorpio topple at just drop of a hat. INNOVA is much more stable.
hey its me!
yes, i think this is true. innova will absorb a crash much better than the SUVs.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:43   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
no, i'll never benchmark it against a scorpio or safari. these SUVs cannot be termed safe at all. and my comment on the dings was to say that the body panel is really weak.
but more important to note is that many innovas have been burnt after an accident and the toppling of the car unexpectedly. such a car is not safe for me.
1. Regarding burning, there is not enough statistical evidence. Innova is one of the largest selling MUVs in the country, and the taxi market swears by it
2. Overturning in case of accidents. Its true for all SUV/MUV/High GC vehicles. Most vehicle testing authorities in Europe and Americas give higher rollover risk to high GC vehicles. Infact, if you drive a SUV in the US, there will be sticker inside warning you of rollover risk. If thats not acceptable you bought the wrong car.
3. Regarding comparisons, you cannot compare the Innova against cars. Of course its better than scorpio and safari as it sits lower, but still its a MUV, it will not have the handling of a corolla.

When buying a MUV/SUV you have to be aware that rollover risk is higher in these vehicles, and when a vehicle rolls over the risk of fuel leakage also increases.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

since when did the taxi market care for safety?
yes, even i do not have any statistical evidence but i am aware of such an incident and hence the comment.
overturning due to negligence of the driver such as a sharp turn or sudden steering movement is acceptable. but in the accident my driver witnessed, nothing of such sort happened.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:07   #83
BHPian

but what i feel is innova is a better MUV/SUV in the indian market at pesent when compared to others
Old 10th July 2008, 18:17   #84
BANNED

Can someone here define a safe car?
Old 10th July 2008, 22:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

A safe car is defined as a vehicle in which its occupants will come out unhurt or with minimal bruises in the event of a collision. lol...
Old 11th July 2008, 00:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
1. In any case the Santro driver should not have followed the Innova straight behind, when he was clearly doing a much higher speed. He should have staggered the path so that he could have had a view ahead of the Innova. Meaning vital extra reaction time, upon seeing auto brake, and also gotten vital extra road space (i.e. the length of an Innova) to brake. Both of these factors have saved my neck on several occasions when driving aggressively in traffic.
In other words, one should never NEVER tailgate a car, and one should always increase speed in proportion to the space and visibility up in front, right?

Sorry to go OT, but here's another aspect:

What I try to do is always increase the gap from the vehicle in front as I increase my speed. The problem is some idiot is always trying to squeeze in into my safety margin up front. At 60 kph, I will obviously keep more than one car length up ahead (almost two car lengths actually).

The other thing is that I am always mindful of the DIFFERENCE in speed between my lane and other lanes. In my traffic planing classes in college I learnt that a major cause for accidents (and traffic jams too) is trying to have two vehicles of drastically different speeds on the same road. If you reflect, a huge percentage of accidents are caused by a 100 kph vehicle hitting a 20 kph vehicle, both reacting in a manner that suits their speed. If the guys on the left are at 20 kph, they are more likely to swerve into my lane because they don't realise I am at 60 kph.

In India, most people never think of the other person anyways. I have suffered enough of high beam maniacs in my biking days, nearly got hurt many times.

Now I am really OT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
2. Did vkochar brake too hard upon seeing auto stop? Maybe, maybe not. One should try to make maximum use of available braking space to reduce possibility of accidents like these. Of course this is easier said than done, for our gut reaction is to slam the brakes in these situations.

Last edited by architect : 11th July 2008 at 00:59.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:19   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
overturning due to negligence of the driver such as a sharp turn or sudden steering movement is acceptable. but in the accident my driver witnessed, nothing of such sort happened.
dude i really think you have to stop listening to your drivers so much. in the other thread about the GV youve posted that a driver told you it was underpowered. over here your posting about something your driver saw. please post your owwn experiences or tell your driver to become a member of tbhp.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:50   #88
BANNED

Quote:
A safe car is defined as a vehicle in which its occupants will come out unhurt or with minimal bruises in the event of a collision. lol...
In all conditions? Please do consider a moron who was drunk in an Innova killed a whole family but came back only bruised. So the Innova is safer over a Indica.

The vehicle is as safe as the person behind the wheel.
Old 11th July 2008, 18:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
dude i really think you have to stop listening to your drivers so much. in the other thread about the GV youve posted that a driver told you it was underpowered. over here your posting about something your driver saw. please post your owwn experiences or tell your driver to become a member of tbhp.
so what is with the driver's thing? arent they capable of deciding how good a car is, like we do? and that do a driver who regularly drives a GV knows a lot about it, i feel. from my experience, i said that the engine felt very strained at high revs and not very eager to gain momentum.
Old 11th July 2008, 23:45   #90
BHPian

Toyota Innova turned turtle after colliding with a Maruti Alto

The Toyota Innova of former Punjab Minister Inderjit Singh Zira after it met with an accident at the Sector 38 and 40 crossing on Tuesday. Former Punjab Minister and Akali leader Inderjit Singh Zira had a providential escape this morning when his Toyota Innova turned turtle after colliding with a Maruti Alto car near the Sectors 38-40 crossing in Chandigarh.
The police said the occupants of both vehicles escaped with minor injuries. Spot inspection said the vehicles were at high speed. The front portion of the Alto car (CH-03-Q-2778) driven by Narinder Singh of Sector 38 was damaged. The Innova (PB-10-BM-8494) skid off the road and overturned. Zira’s driver Gurdev Singh was at the wheel. SHO of the Sector 39 police station inspector Nanha Ram Kadiyan said no case was registered as both parties resolved the issue amicably.
Source: The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories
(1 Year old news. FYI only)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed