Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 12:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver

I know some people who got a dummy Seat belt clip made so they can insert it in and turn the Seat belt warning OFF while they are not wearing the seat belts..... what do you say for that ????
License to Commit Suicide!!

or

(Near)Dead Man Driving

Last edited by durvasa : 20th April 2006 at 12:48.
Old 20th April 2006, 13:21   #17
BHPian

in general all SUV's are known to turtle if u steer sharply, seen Landcruisers, patrols, Pajeros turned turtle many times.
The little exception being Range Rover.
Cayenne, x5 seem more stable than all of the above more car like handling

Nothing is safe anywhere in todays world and when u r on the road its even more vulnerable.
Old 20th April 2006, 13:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Most modern cars are pretty safe in head on collisions. this includes the premuim hatches, indigos, innovas, NHCs etc., The problem is that people do not use seat belts. If you are sitting in a truck and have a collision you can die. The truck may be totally undamaged but deacceleration will ensure you hit something hard as you fly off your seat. I earlier posted a thread there Overdrive mags innova went and hit a traffic island at 100kmph+. It ploughed through stones etc., and undercarriage was badly damaged. Seatbelts ensured nobody got injured. Just the driver got back problem as the shock was transferred through the break pedal to his spine.
I have seen indicas with minor damage in which the driver was seriouly injured and also cars with lots of damage but no injuries due to seat belts.
So as long as you buckle up you are relatively safe, otherwise even being in a tank wont save ya.
Old 20th April 2006, 13:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I earlier posted a thread there Overdrive mags innova went and hit a traffic island at 100kmph+. It ploughed through stones etc., and undercarriage was badly damaged. .

They sem to have a record - their Indica was writen off/badly damaged when a reporter fell asleep and drove off the road
Old 20th April 2006, 13:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Hmmm... maybe innovas are designed keeping stray dog safety in mind coz i have run over a few dogs in my time in my zen and there has hardly ever been any damage to the car! Nitin, are you sure about the suspension damage and that the innova hit the dog only and nothing else??
Amitoj

Yes, quite sure about the dog as I was in the passenger seat.. this happened in Salt Lake City (Calcutta), wide 6 lane road and nothing else in sight.. Am also sure about the suspension as the Innova started making a huge grinding noise on turns after that.. This wasnt the broken bumper hitting anything.. It seemed something on the suspension was bent.. Didnt have time to investigate details as I was running late for a flight..

I have known an Accent which hit a dog, radiator sump broke, coolant leaked out and engine seized up..
Old 20th April 2006, 14:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
in general all SUV's are known to turtle if u steer sharply, seen Landcruisers, patrols, Pajeros turned turtle many times.

Nothing is safe anywhere in todays world and when u r on the road its even more vulnerable.
Another stable one is the Subaru Forester.
Old 20th April 2006, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
Another stable one is the Subaru Forester.
Isnt the Forester' more of a softroader ?
Old 20th April 2006, 15:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
I have known an Accent which hit a dog, radiator sump broke, coolant leaked out and engine seized up..
whoa! wot breed was that dog? St Bernard????
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2006, 16:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

dont rememeber the magazine ,but this months issue carried an article on the diff SUVs available under 10 lakhs in india ...amongst them it was the innova that handled the best ....i dont think the innova handles as bad as the scorpio ...just because you heard of 2-3 accidents involving an innova doesnt mean its unsafe
Old 20th April 2006, 16:20   #25
Team-BHP Support

It was Autocar India apr issue. They have Elk tests and Slalom tests for Scorpio/Tavera/Innova/Safari and innova sails through those. Safari is the worst, New scorpio is better than the safari in elk and slalom timings

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th April 2006 at 16:26.
Old 20th April 2006, 16:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If Innova sustained so much damage by hitting a dog i am sure that the innnova hit a DOG statue and not a dog
Old 20th April 2006, 16:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Very low center of gravity!
small correction brother, it has a higher center of gravity which makes it unstable. a low center of gravity will makes a car more stable.
Old 20th April 2006, 17:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
it was a stray mongrel.. Accent hit it at 110 kmph.. the radiator sump in Accent is made of plastic!!!
Old 20th April 2006, 19:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
These SUV's are exately designed solely for off-roading. They are more like road or track cars. They gor 400+BHP and can kiss a@@ of most indian cars priced btw 10-20lacs.

But yea they cost arnd 5times as much
Old 20th April 2006, 19:27   #30
BHPian

I have driven innova over 15k and found that it handles quite well . As far as safety is concerned, no car is safe without seatbelts. Always wear your seat belts even if you are travelling in the safest car of the world

Hitting a dog at high speed can damage any car. For that matter if you had hit a bucket of water even then it can give some serious damage to the car depending on what speed you were travelling. Remember the BMW hit and run case in delhi, the BMW was travelling at high speed and collided with some people at the bus stop. Around five people were killed and the front of BMW looked like a crash test vehicle!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks