Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 13:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone identify the car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Try as much as I did, I could not identify the car in the picture, because the snap was taken such that the detatched wheel was in the foreground and the car in the background. It looked like a C-segment sedan though.
I managed to get the pic in question from the Manorama archives. Attached.
How safe is Innova?-caraccident.jpg
Can anyone make out the car (the one on extreme left and off the road)?
Headlights make me think its an Ikon, but did Ikon come with airbags ever ? Or a Getz ?
Old 8th July 2008, 13:27   #47
BHPian

Seems like a Toyota to me.
I see a "T" logo on the wheel cover.
Looks like a Toyota Corolla to me.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:27   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Attachment 27421
Headlights make me think its an Ikon, but did Ikon come with airbags ever ? Or a Getz ?
its definitely a toyota. see the wheel. it has the toyota symbol in the centre.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ah, you do have a point akshay. How come I missed that ?

So, one more brownie point to Toyota for passenger safety.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think that Toyota Innova is a safe car. Innova is built around the Toyota IMV platform ( correct me if wrong ). This platform is the basis of one SUV ( Fortuner ) and one Pickup truck. The platform is pretty safe, however the person behind the wheel of a car can also be blamed for accidents.

Second thing is that, in any modern car, if one is not wearing seatbelts, then chances of serious or fatal injury increases drastically. Even if the rear passengers are not wearing seatbelts, then also risk is there.

Personally I have seen one Innova accident near Saputara. Here the Innova was doing high speed around 90 kmph and it straight went into a stationary 407 truck. The rear passengers survived, but the front one didnt. It was later known that no one of the 8 passengers had their seatbelts on.

One more was seen at NE1 ( National Expresshighway 1, part of GQ between Vadodara and A'bad ), here the Innova went in a broken down S.T. bus. All the five passengers survived.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:54   #51
BANNED

Toyota innova is built on the GOA(global outstanding assessment) platform. This imparts it good safety standards. I have done a sort of case study on innova, as i own one also. This is my reading & people can go & verify on their own if they dont believe.
Innova weighs more than a normal saloon by about 4-500kgs. It is an MUV & hence taller than a saloon. The tyres used are more the same size of a saloon. Now, what all this does is , makes the braking job hard. INNOVAS, wheels lock up easily & it gets into a skid mode often, rendering it liable to a front end shunt. I have seen numerous egs. of innovas having front end shunts, as the car did not stop in required distance on applying brakes. Majority of cars that had front end shunts were without ABS (available ONLY ON V model).
On inquiring from one of the agencies, a toyota official on annonimity confessed to innova having such a problem. Toyota should offer ABS as an option on cheaper variants also, so , that most of the customers can benefit from the safety feature.
Whereas in comparison SCORPIO & SAFARI are extremely dangerous vehicles , contrary to what people believe. People generally think them to be safe because of all the solid iron & steel they carry on them. But in reality that steel only hurts in advent of a mishap because these vehicles are not crash worthy & their bodies are not designed keeping in mind crashes. These cars get sickly twisted in accidents.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have had a nasty accident in an Innova a few yrs back.

I was driving my friends new Innova in Delhi and near Dhaula Kuan on some flyover when an auto wallah suddenly jammed his brakes without any reason or rhyme. I also slammed the brakes there. I was doing about 40, I stopped.

Suddenly I saw the rear view mirrror and my heart skipped a few beats. I saw a speeding Santro ( must be at least 80 kph ), he did not see me stop !! He slammed into me hard ( at 80 kph !!! ) into a stationery Innova.

Luckily me and my friend were wearing seat belts. Can you beleive this - The Impact was LOUD !! We were pushed a few inches and that's it. Nothing happened to us, we were too stunned to realise what happened. Anyways, I expected the worst and got off the car and first thing I did was looked at the Rear of the Innova.

Now the best part - Nothing happened to the car, No broken glass, tail lights. Just a very Long Crack on the rear Bumper and a small dent on the Boot ( very tiny ).

The santro was completely damaged, radiator burst and bonnet & glass shattered.

What really happened was that luckily the whole Impact was taken by the Spare tire of the Innova. Causing no damage almost.

The guy in the Santro was completetly OK and came out scratchless. Best part was no one fought and we went our ways. Auto wallah ran away when he saw us getting out. Santro started and slowly came down the flyover where it stalled.

We went to Toyota and the Bumper was replaced after a few days. Total Damage was 1,700 Rupees I think ( after claiming Insurance ). As it was a plastic part.

I have high regards for the Innova since then.

Last edited by vkochar : 9th July 2008 at 10:28.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Suddenly I saw the rear view mirrror and my heart skipped a few beats. I saw a speeding Santro ( must be at least 80 kph ), he did not see me stop !! He slammed into me hard ( at 80 kph !!! ) into a stationery Innova.
Hard to believe that u were hit at 80kmph by a car weighing atleast 800kgs (I am not sure about the weight of a Santro) and all you had was a broken bumper and moved only by a few inches (metres might have been believable). For that matter the Santro's engine could be started again!! Crash tests are performed at around 40mph and I am yet to see a car which could be in a position to drive away after that crash.

If speed was indeed 80kmph, I think I am more impressed by the Santro than the Innova.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:30   #54
Team-BHP Support

also read a thread by gto where a speeding corolla rammed into one of his relatives innova.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

The santro braked hard and hit the innova. More would have happened if he had actually at 80kph.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Attachment 27421
Thats an Innova. What was the other vehicle that he rammed into ?
Old 9th July 2008, 14:09   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thats an Innova. What was the other vehicle that he rammed into ?
i dont think so. i havent seen those rims on an innova in any market. also the innova has 5 bolts not 4.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Could it be a Corolla ? Looks more like a sedan to me than a van.
BTW, it was a truck that it rammed into.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:25   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
Innova is sold worldwide, and i think safety norms are high in other countries when compared to India, and Innova has passed them
Safety Norms are certified with ABS+EBD... & 6 to 8 Airbags + Better stock tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
2 back to back accidents on the ECR involving Innovas have seen the occupants walking out unscathed while the occupants of the other car have died or been grievously injured. Innova is a safe car, but you got to be safe too.
If one bang the elephant with the horse, later dies. Samething applicable for Indica & Santro accidents mentioned in this thread. We can only compare if a Sumo or Tuscon are head on with a Innova ( I wish that never happens, I never wanted accidents to happen)
Old 9th July 2008, 15:02   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Hard to believe that u were hit at 80kmph by a car weighing atleast 800kgs (I am not sure about the weight of a Santro) and all you had was a broken bumper and moved only by a few inches (metres might have been believable). For that matter the Santro's engine could be started again!! Crash tests are performed at around 40mph and I am yet to see a car which could be in a position to drive away after that crash.

If speed was indeed 80kmph, I think I am more impressed by the Santro than the Innova.
You have to understand and apply physics to see the difference between this case described by vkochar and that of a car hitting a rigid wall.

Yes, the speed though would have been much lesser than what vkochar says simply because that driver would have definitely applied the brakes before the impact and though the car could not stop its speed would have fallen down drastically from its initial stages.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks