Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 13:10   #16
BHPian

re: Mumbai RTO : Tinted Glasses Drive from 11th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Small correction, as per Apex Court all sunfilms are illegal.
Infact if the court were to be asked this question, they would rule that even the plastic shades are illegal - the wording of the rule is very random.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have removed all the tint from the side windows. Only the one of the back glass is still there, though I could remove that if needed.

Removed it out of necessity as a cousin was using my car around town for a few days and didn't want to have to deal with the stress of cops.

Still see a lot of cars around Bangalore with tint. In fact, I would have kept it if there was no need to drive during the day and seen how long I could have pushed my luck.

Am guessing this drive was motivated by Diwali.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

In CG the cops are charging 2200.00 if they manage to catch you with tinted glasses in your car. At the same time they will simply tear off the film from the glass and won't listen to you. So most of the people have already taken off the films from their cars.

But all the Govt. cars are moving with their tints including police cars.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the cops here in Cochin, no films are allowed. I see cops checking cars everyday on my way back from office, but I still manage to spot atleast 2-3 cars with tints. Time to get hold of removable sun shades which is becoming a major hit here.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:30   #20
BHPian

I agree with all of you that we need to stick to the legal procedure and follow the rules. But as someone said rightly, are the rules of any logic?

Also I asked them what are the rules and they said 70% and 50% but personally this 70% and 50% are useless. I dont see a point in going for these as they wont serve any good against heat or rather against anything. No point in going for them,, unless they are as efficient as V Cool, not to mention it will drill a deep hole down your pocket.

Anyways my only point is why are cops being so strict on a petite issue like the tints and harrassing the common man, but not doing anything about the huge scams which are more dangerous.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Did they insist on removing sunfilm entirely (in line with the SC judgement a few months back)? Or are they okay with sunfilm confirming with the quoted specifications?
They're abiding by the SC judgment. No sunfilm what so ever !
Old 12th October 2012, 13:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Infact if the court were to be asked this question, they would rule that even the plastic shades are illegal - the wording of the rule is very random.
No, You should read all pages, it says you can not put anything on you glass, you have to keep it as OEM/Factory fitted. Its the people and the local police and some portion of media twist the wordings to complicate matters.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:56   #23
BHPian

Saw the police stopping cars at least in two places on my drive to office today - One in front of TISS, Chembur, and the next to BPT road.

One of the police guys walked across and took a good look at the tints of the car in front of me before letting it go. Means, they are catching only the dark tinted ones.

I have a 70% on front & 50% on sides, and honestly I am thankful to the cops for not enforcing the ruling verbatim. The tints, howmuchever light they are, do make things easier.
Old 12th October 2012, 14:00   #24
BHPian

I don't mean to be rude but, ARE WE NOT GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES?

The Supreme Court issued a statement earlier this year that sunfilms of any transparency are BANNED. Whether one likes it or not.

An individual must be insane to HUG this rule and say you are in "love" with it because nobody likes driving around in a baking oven. More importantly, why would anybody willingly like to burn more fuel to have the compressor running for longer periods?

We all unanimously agree that the rule makes no sense. But it is the rule now.

Some may argue that we live in a democratic country and that rules cannot be imposed on one. Agreed. But there are other ways to revolt. By not removing the tints or applying tints, you are violating the now-law and are liable to be punished / fined. And if you end up coughing up a bribe, please understand...it's your own fault.

Surprisingly, I've seen some window tinting companies open new brand shops. What are they thinking!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Time to get hold of removable sun shades which is becoming a major hit here.
Woho! Be careful, friend. I had to cough up 100 bucks even for that. The removable shades are also illegal it seems. So, I now leave them on only if I had to park the car in the sun for longer periods, but now while driving. Though, i agree the removable shade does do the job well.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th October 2012 at 18:03. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th October 2012, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As per the cops here in Cochin, no films are allowed. I see cops checking cars everyday on my way back from office, but I still manage to spot atleast 2-3 cars with tints. Time to get hold of removable sun shades which is becoming a major hit here.
Yes absolutely true. I had to cough up a fine when the MVD caught me near the Kakkannad Collectorate traffic lights. Still majority of cars have sunfilms on.
The greatest difficulty is experienced during night when the trailing cars are on high beams.
The law should allow for having sun-films at least in the rear rear windshield.
Old 12th October 2012, 14:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The greatest difficulty is experienced during night when the trailing cars are on high beams.
Even with the 70% transparency levels, the high beam glare would still be distracting for the driver.

IMO, Day/Night or anitglare rear view mirrors would turn out to be cheaper than sun films for this purpose.
Old 12th October 2012, 14:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Woho! Be careful, friend. I had to cough up 100 bucks even for that. The removable shades are also illegal it seems. So, I now leave them on only if I had to park the car in the sun for longer periods, but now while driving. Though, i agree the removable shade does do the job well.
Is it? Man! I'm anyways planning to buy. Cant bear the heat here and moreover I park my car outside when am in office. Have to put these atleast when it's parked.

Quote:
Yes absolutely true. I had to cough up a fine when the MVD caught me near the Kakkannad Collectorate traffic lights. Still majority of cars have sunfilms on.
Some cars just do that. Have seen many cars having tints at the rear alone. BTW, I havent removed from front windshield tints. I have been stopped many times since my windshield is dark but on seeing the side windows clear they let me off.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 14:45   #28
BHPian

What do you have to say about this? I was in the local accessory shop looking for an arm rest and he offered me to put sunfilms. He said sunfilms are back sir, RTO people have got a meter now and they are allowing 70% tints. I didnt believe him, but guess what there after I have seen at least 2 cars putting the sunfilms ON! Yes, I am sure they were not removing it, they were putting it on.

Any changes in Bangalore traffic rules recently?
Old 12th October 2012, 14:53   #29
BHPian

Well, don't know where this is heading to, law abiding citizens take a conscious call and follow the rules, which is good but when these citizens see whats happening around them, with people getting away just because of their contacts or nativity, then the objective of the law is gone for a toss.
Slightly off topic but another good example would be the helmet rule, I think Pune is a safe haven for riding without helmets, because the cops just don't want to implement the rule.
But ask this to a biker with another state registration and he would be promptly stopped.
The same is true for Filmed glass as well, the people who are going to be targeted the most would be other state/city registered vehicles.
I haven't seen any checking going on so far in Pune, but yes of course festivals are approaching!
But seriously this needs to be relooked, because hey, even if I have a 'tinted' glass as fit by the manufacturer, is that really going to improve visibility (for cops) if I travel in the night? I think it would still be pretty difficult to see inside. What we need is better and sustained Policing with greater empowerment and equipment to cops which is currently missing or not implemented with rigidity.

Last edited by Trojan : 12th October 2012 at 14:54. Reason: Added City
Old 12th October 2012, 15:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai RTO : Tinted Glasses Drive from 11th October 2012

Quote:
The solution to your difficulty is in the small adjuster provided in your rear view mirror. Use that during nights and you will not have any issues with high beams of cars behind.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks