Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 14:47   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Flop cars in our market

This thread is too long to read and digest the information. However, I went through the recent posts and am confused thoroughly since there are multiple opinions about the same car whether it is a failure model or success model.

But, I could not get a firm basis on, how is the opinion formed when deciding successful car or failure. Whether are there any deciding factors to be considered to declare a car model is success?

Is it only the sales and revenue?
Or is it the popularity and population in a city?
Or is it people's opinion?
Or is it the technical features, repairs, niggles, issues in the car/performance?
Or is there any x factor, ie., Not a measurable parameter but it decides?

Last edited by gkveda : 26th May 2017 at 15:00.
Old 10th June 2017, 11:36   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Are you still holding the same view that S-Cross is a flop?. After an year you made the comment, it still sells in 2.2 - 2.5K unit per month. (Note that it comes only in diesel).

S-Cross is a great car to enjoy the drive. It actually does not matter whether it sells 2K and the competition sells 8K.
Absolutely. Maruti estimated 5K per month and they are struggling to do even 50% after that even after price cut. Creta is consistently doing 8K per month and is a higher priced product.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 11:50   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Absolutely. Maruti estimated 5K per month and they are struggling to do even 50% after that even after price cut. Creta is consistently doing 8K per month and is a higher priced product.
If 50% of the company targets qualifies for a flop show, this thread would be flooded a 100 pages by now.

I feel they will jump up by a good figure with the introduction of the facelift. 4k or more a month is my prediction, if they bring in the petrols as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 12:11   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
The way I look at it, its the best crossover in terms of sales, it sells more than the pseudo crossovers like i20 Active, Etios Cross, Avventura and Cross Polo.

Probably for a car with Suzuki badge, its a slow seller, but considering the body shape (Cross over) and the price tag, its more than decent.
Old 10th June 2017, 12:20   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
The way I look at it, its the best crossover in terms of sales, it sells more than the pseudo crossovers like i20 Active, Etios Cross, Avventura and Cross Polo.
--
Also compare the numbers with Duster, Terrano, and the very recently launched BR-V, the consistent numbers are decent enough considering a only diesel option and selling through the limited reach of its premium outlet - Nexa .
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 13:27   #471
Senior - BHPian

Considering the plain looks, lack of a petrol option, lack of any automatic variant, the S-Cross clear-cut crossover styling that doesn't even try to look like a pseudo SUV, the consistent sales figures that it is raking in are pretty acceptable.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 13:32   #472
BHPian

Maruti may have missed a point by not having the correct pricing to start with but the car is definitely one of the best products from Maruti and they are doing decent numbers today. I understand the 1.6 L is a gem of an engine. While I understand that looks of S Cross is love it or hate it but as a product the car is brilliant and as rightly pointed out by many is doing decent numbers as compared to many cars already named. While Creta has been a top seller for quite sometime but it's unfair to call the S Cross a flop by any stretch of imagination. Going by that logic many cars will find a place in this thread if we start comparing them with the numbers of Vitara Brezza! I don't own a S Cross but going by the fun to drive experience shared by my father after doing a TD and my fellow Bhpians, I would love to drive a 1.6 L once.
Old 1st July 2017, 03:10   #473
Team-BHP Support

Time to include Tucson in the list, for a second time (generation)?

Hyundai had high hopes with this launch, with the Creta doing more than 8000 cars a month. And it looks like Tucson will settle down in double digit figures instead, thanks to the over optimistic pricing strategy.

Infact, have barely seen a couple of them on the roads here in Bangalore.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 14:59   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Time to include Tucson in the list, for a second time (generation)?

Hyundai had high hopes with this launch, with the Creta doing more than 8000 cars a month. And it looks like Tucson will settle down in double digit figures instead, thanks to the over optimistic pricing strategy.

Infact, have barely seen a couple of them on the roads here in Bangalore.

Hyundai has the financial muscle in India to bring down the prices of the Tucson, the question is, will they bother to do it? May be when the compass's prices are announced and if it happens to be at the speculated price of 15+L exshowroom for the base variant, Hyundai will have to react. Would be a shame if they didn't coz the Tucson is a pretty good car on its own and by reducing the prices a bit they can hope to increase sales to at least to a respectable 500 units every month.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 15:22   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hyundai has the financial muscle in India to bring down the prices of the Tucson, the question is, will they bother to do it?
Hard to revive sales once the initial momentum is lost, but if they want to try - the best time is now.

Customers would assume that the prices post GST are very competitive indeed, and if the 1000 initial bookings of the Compass shows the sales prospects for that price segment, Hyundai can surely steal some sales with better features and a good diesel automatic option. And of course - the Hyundai brand which is way more established and confidence inspiring.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st July 2017 at 15:24.
Old 15th September 2019, 14:59   #476
BANNED

Tata Harrier
Nissan Kicks
Renault Captur

The Harrier sells less than the almost decade old Duster and the XUV, and roughly the same as the much more expensive Compass.

The Harrier had a head start over the Hector and the Seltos, and should have consolidated its position.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 15:03   #477
BHPian

Nissan Kicks

Good Car but a failed brand associated with it.

VW Ameo

Ameo DSG is an excellent value for money car.

Toyota Etios Platinum

Failed to impress the private buyers. A winner by a big margin in the Taxi segment.

Tata Hexa

Great value for money car, but haven't put the sales chart roaring as expected.
Old 15th September 2019, 17:12   #478
Senior - BHPian

Flop cars in our market

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Tata Harrier
Nissan Kicks
Renault Captur

The Harrier sells less than the almost decade old Duster and the XUV, and roughly the same as the much more expensive Compass.

The Harrier had a head start over the Hector and the Seltos, and should have consolidated its position.

I do not think you can call the Harrier a flop, not yet. It is in a segment where volumes are not that high. We easily compare Seltos and the Creta to the Harrier, but these cars start much lower in terms of entry level models. Secondly, the Hector is an aberration, it has managed to surprise everyone, customers and the manufacturers.

I think Tata will work on the Harrier in terms of fit and finish, offer an AT and may be even add a few features. I think it will find more buyers then. The Harrier has all the traits to be a cult SUV like the Safari, in the right ways. And its numbers are not so bad like the Kicks and the Captur, which can be gotten for as low as 12 lakhs on road vs the Harrier which costs close to 17L.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 17:21   #479
BHPian

Toyota Yaris - only due to very optimistic pricing
Old 15th September 2019, 18:42   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Toyota Yaris - only due to very optimistic pricing

Not only that the car is quite old as well.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks