Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 13:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti workers to go on strike (again!!) Hunger strike this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
please answer where in the world are murder and arson suspects reinstated into their jobs, before the investigation and trial is over?
Any legislative body in this country!!
Old 7th November 2012, 13:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Only consolation with this strike is that its a hunger strike and nothing to do with violence.
Well though that is a noble aspiration to start with, one never knows. Industrial disputes are wont to get really ugly really fast. One false comment which hurts sentiments, and bang, there you are lying in a pool of blood with your head or some other part of your anatomy cracked open!!
Old 7th November 2012, 13:56   #18
BHPian

Whats wrong with Maruti's Manesar Plant.

Being Satarical here, I guess hightime, Maruti needs to check Vastu of the Plant.

Welcome Sail, red carpet for you.

Maruti in Catch 22 Situation. They off-boarded 500, they in trouble. They on-board those 500 (or some from them), still they will be in trouble.

I am smelling rat here. Come festive time and the strike starts. I mean you dont have to be scientist to take a wild guess. Is that another sabotage in making?

So all in all not a good 2012 year for India's No 1 Car maker.
Old 7th November 2012, 14:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Time for Maruti Suzuki to get out of Haryana and move to the Detroit of Southern India or go to Gujarat. Modi surely knows who to run his state. Strike or no strike even down south, I think it is better. Everything had just come back to steam with team bhpians reporting just a three week waiting period for a petrol Swift, forget a diesel.
Old 7th November 2012, 14:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruthi workers to go on strike (again!!) Hunger strike this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Ahh!! Back to the good old days when one must wait months for the Swift!!

Honestly, after all the debate that took place in the previous thread regarding the story published by one of the workers himself, this doesn't seem too surprising. The discussion was heavy there about how much each of the sides was at fault. I am kinda getting ready to see that whole argument rekindle here all over again.!!
When was the Swft ever available off the shelf? When I booked one in 2010, way before the strikes, I still had to wait 3 months.

You're right, the debates and arguments will start again about which camp is right, but hey, atleast no one disputes that there is an issue. Thats a major improvement in itself over the last time. I also wonder if anyone in HR will even agree to talks in person with the striking workers. What if there is a repeat of last time?
Old 7th November 2012, 14:20   #21
BANNED

One major reason may be the infinite time it takes for a case to come to trial and judgement. Also, the impression (at least partly correct) that everybody is up for sale does not add to the confidence.
Old 7th November 2012, 14:43   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I am more on the side of the management than the workers or the unions here.

yes 500+ employees may not all be guilty but the unions and most workers sure know who are the really guilty guys and they should be identified by the unions themselves (though possibly some of the leading lights will be sure to be trapped in such a list) and if such a list were to be provided to the management proactively by the unions stating that these are the guilty guys and the union and workers are prepared to testify agaist them then surely the management would definately consider taking the remaining workers back.

Work conditions may be bad but are they any worse compared to China? Also if the workers had better paying jobs or farming as an option they would not be working for Maruti so while it is easy to point fingers at the work conditions for any specific job at any level the simply fact of the matter does remain that if there were better options the workers would not be taking that job up.

Lastly here we are talking about Murder, if it was a mass action that bystanders within the factory did not stop and infact added fuel to by displaying anger on property in the factory then the least punishment should be loss of job.

Yes there will be conspiracy theories of other manufacturers paying off union leader (and that could happen in theory but not so often) - that is not likely to be true in this case - infact the same was being said against Maruti during the time Nano from TATA had to move out of Bengal.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:33   #23
BHPian

Ahh man, not again MSIL

Just when things started to look up for Maruti this strike comes up again and what timing chosen by the Workers Union over here the peak of festive season when all the car manufacturers are trying to get rid of as much inventory as possible.

On the hindsight, MSIL may not have much inventory to show at the end of this year and thus won't offer too many discounts come December !!

I hope this strike comes to an end sooner rather than later !!
Old 8th November 2012, 14:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Time for Maruti Suzuki to get out of Haryana and move to the Detroit of Southern India or go to Gujarat. Modi surely knows who to run his state. Strike or no strike even down south, I think it is better. Everything had just come back to steam with team bhpians reporting just a three week waiting period for a petrol Swift, forget a diesel.
What ? http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4074812.ece

1) Singur 2008
2) Greater Noida (Graziano Trasmissioni ) 2008
3) Rico 2009
4) Hero Honda 2006-12
5) Exide 2010
6) Hyundai 2009-12
7) Ford 2011-12
8) GM 2011-12
etc

I think things have to get much worse, for people to open their eyes. Hint: Maoists are behind all these "strikes".
Old 8th November 2012, 16:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Well, found the other thread to be closed, so beginning a new one.
saw this article in a Malayalam daily today.

Translation : " [i]A section of maruthi employees are preparing for a strike again. 548 employees were dismissed by the management during their last strike. This strike is to force the management to take them back.
This is not the only demand. Three demands have been laid down by the protesting workers: a. an impartial inquiry into the violence at the plant on 18 July by a retired judge of the High Court, b. release of the 149 workers who have been jailed, and c. re-instatement of the 546 permanent workers who have been sacked.

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by ACP Ravinder Kumar Tomar have concluded that the violence at the plant was due to internal issues between the management and workers and ruled out external influence, which the company had suspected. Now the workers have come forward in demand for an impartial probe to fix the responsibility.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Only consolation with this strike is that its a hunger strike and nothing to do with violence.

If the person arrested is not guilty he could be taken back. But again the call is with Maruti.
my thoughts exactly!! If they were guilt free why would Maruti not take them back? And what sort of blackmailing is this? Sitting on a hunger strike/dharna to get back their sacked jobs. Its a different aspect when a honest man sits for hunger strike against corruption, the entire concept cheapens when criminals (or say accused criminals) use the same strategy to get what they want.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks