Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 17:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP! All-New Mercedes A-Class caught testing in India

Mercedes-Benz is all set to launch its all-new A-class in India on May 30.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/341...-may-30.aspx/3
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 18:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes-Benz is all set to launch its all-new A-class in India on May 30.
With this, and the CLA and the GLA that will follow suit, I have a strong feeling that Mercedes-Benz is going to rock the Indian market big time. The A-Class looks terrific in person, will give the regular Japanese models in that price range a run for their money apart from giving the exclusivity of owning a three-pointed star. Bring it on Mercedes-Benz!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 18:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
With this, and the CLA and the GLA that will follow suit, I have a strong feeling that Mercedes-Benz is going to rock the Indian market big time. The A-Class looks terrific in person, will give the regular Japanese models in that price range a run for their money apart from giving the exclusivity of owning a three-pointed star. Bring it on Mercedes-Benz!
Thats quite a statement there.
I don't think this will be the case however. Not unless the cost of ownership will be comparable, which I seriously doubt arvi. Actually I'm unsure if they will be able to price it to what we feel would be 'competitive' pricing for a small car at all, unless this car is 100% localised which I don't think it is.
Old 30th April 2013, 18:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Thats quite a statement there.
I don't think this will be the case however. Not unless the cost of ownership will be comparable, which I seriously doubt arvi.
You are right. My statement would be invalid if the A-Class isn't launched with a competitive price tag (say, close to INR 25 Lakhs). And, when I spoke about giving the Japanese models a run for their money, I was talking about the features to price ratio, not the size for price ratio nor the cost of ownership. The A-Class, in all probability, would be loaded with all regular Merc features, including the all-important safety features.
Old 30th April 2013, 19:03   #35
BHPian

Definitely a good looking car. Reminds me a little of the VW Sirocco from certain angles.

I also don't really expect Merc to have a very high sales target for this car, which means it's probably going to be priced on the higher side. Affordable for many, but still more than what it's probably worth.
Old 30th April 2013, 20:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
You are right. My statement would be invalid if the A-Class isn't launched with a competitive price tag (say, close to INR 25 Lakhs). And, when I spoke about giving the Japanese models a run for their money, I was talking about the features to price ratio, not the size for price ratio nor the cost of ownership. The A-Class, in all probability, would be loaded with all regular Merc features, including the all-important safety features.
Indeed.
Yes, I felt you had that price tag in mind but that's just it. I personally find paying 25L exorbitant for a small car.
Do you feel the Indian market is mature enough to pay more than 15L for a small car? Regardless of badge? Even with the features its quite possible that it may just be viewed as a small car and the price tag associated with it.
Or is it just me : ) ?...
Old 1st May 2013, 10:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

it cant be priced at 25 L because that would make it at par with the B class. My guess is that the petrol will start around 17-18L, which is still expensive IMHO. You have to look at the customer Psyche here. Apart from a few die hard enthusiasts, most will think 18L exshowroom for a petrol hatch (even if a Mercedes)- why not get a D segment sedan instead.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dimensions and weight - A Class vs. Hyundai i20
Length (mm) 3883 vs. 3995
Width (mm) 1764 vs. 1710
Height (mm) 1593 vs. 1505
Wheelbase 2568 vs. 2525
Thats "1.5 A160 Blue efficiency Classic SE Hatchback 3d 1498cc" vs. "Hyundai i20" current gen sold in India in terms of dimensions.

Quote:
A- Class
Cubic capacipty (CCs) 1498
Brake horse power (BHP) 95
Number of cylinders 4
Camshaft SOHC
Number of valves 2
Fuel type Petrol
Fuel aspiration Normally Aspirated
Fuel delivery Multi-Point Injection
Driven wheels Front Wheel Drive
Number of gears 5 Speed
Transmission type Manual
Max torque (lb ft) 103.26
Max torque (NM) 140
Max torque RPM 3500
Vs.

Quote:
i20 1.2 Kappa
Engine 1.2L Kappa
Displacement (cc) 1,197
Max. Power (ps / rpm) 84 / 6000
Max. Torque (kg·m / rpm) 11.6 / 4000
Number of cylinders 4
Valves of cylinder 16
Valvetrain Type DOHC with Dual VTVT
Transmission Type Manual 5
Suspension
Front McPherson strut with Coil Spring & Stabilizer Bar
Rear Coupled Torsion Beam Axle with Coil Spring
Fuel Consumption Fuel Type Petrol
Fuel Tank Capacity (L) 45
Now is that enough to state that the cheapest A-Class (according Top-Gear) should not cost 18lac Ex-showroom? Maybe not cause there is a price tag on craftsmanship and that's what you get when you buy a Merc i think.

Not that i'm can afford one any time soon but I always found Mercs, esp the current gen, a handsome lot. And i think luxury car makers will not necessarily target premium sedan buyers with their smallest products. While these products may be small, they aren't meant to be necessarily cheap. Thats the whole point of luxury. So am sure that Merc will price it right but not exactly to woo the Jetta buyers maybe. Those who can afford Mercs "can" afford them i guess. The only question they might face is which one and how luxurious.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 1st May 2013 at 11:17.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
My guess is that the petrol will start around 17-18L, which is still expensive IMHO.
Even if the price of under 20L is expensive by standards of a hatchback car, it may find some taker considering the Mini has sold 55 cars which are much more expansive in the first quarter of 2013.

Quote:
You have to look at the customer Psyche here. Apart from a few die hard enthusiasts, most will think 18L exshowroom for a petrol hatch (even if a Mercedes)- why not get a D segment sedan instead.
When I agree with you on the normal mindset part, still I would like to put that how many of the sedans under 20L offer such sporty and luxury feeling the A class offers (what I have seen in some review photos and videos). And afterall its Mercedes.

Mercedes has emotional brand value in India and still holds much more value over other two giants in many hearts. Many of us have grown seeing Mercedes since our childhood and many of us may have dreamed of owning a car from this great brand but the expensive price tags kept theirs cars out of reach for many. Now when they have some 'affordable' offerings, I believe they may find some takers just on the basis of the emotional brand value Mercedes holds in India.

But I strongly feel that if they offer sedan version of the A class without adding too much amount, it will have potential to become popular and sell in more numbers over the hatch.

BTW do we have any data of how many B class have been sold since it's launch? Mercedes have gained 2nd position in India after a long time by beating BMW so I guess B class may have played in that performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thats "1.5 A160 Blue efficiency Classic SE Hatchback 3d 1498cc" vs. "Hyundai i20" current gen sold in India in terms of dimensions....
Now is that enough to state that the cheapest A-Class (according Top-Gear) should not cost 18lac Ex-showroom? Maybe not cause there is a price tag on craftsmanship and that's what you get when you buy a Merc i think.
Even the car feels underpowered compared to many other lower segment cars on papers, it doesn't matter too much in case of cheaper offerings by big brands because its the brand value and other factors like build quality, luxury feel etc which drag some buyers. And not everyone willing to use the car for highway drag races. Mercedes must be targeting a different class with this offering, the class which want to own a car from one of the most reputed brand and the rich class which is looking for another small city car which can give proud company to the other expensive cars they have in their garages.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st May 2013 at 11:37.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:23   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Received an invite for the launch event organised by Auto Hangar, Prabhadevi on May 10. Will possibly attend the same, unless last minute travel intervenes. Shall keep you posted.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek
Received an invite for the launch event organised by Auto Hangar, Prabhadevi on May 10. Will possibly attend the same, unless last minute travel intervenes. Shall keep you posted.
My invite from Metro Motors, Hughes Road is for the 4th of May. Is there some change in date or just multiple preview dates!
Old 1st May 2013, 17:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thats "1.5 A160 Blue efficiency Classic SE Hatchback 3d 1498cc" vs. "Hyundai i20" current gen sold in India in terms of dimensions.

Vs.

All the dimensions quoted are incorrect, probably you have provided the dimensions of the old A-Class. The new A-Class is significantly larger :
Length : 4292 mm
Width : 1780 mm
Height : 1433 mm
Wheelbase : 2699 mm

Its not really a small hatch and coupled with those drop dead looks and an 18L price tag , I would grab it in a flash !
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 18:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

All the dimensions quoted are incorrect, probably you have provided the dimensions of the old A-Class. The new A-Class is significantly larger :
Length : 4292 mm
Width : 1780 mm
Height : 1433 mm
Wheelbase : 2699 mm

Its not really a small hatch and coupled with those drop dead looks and an 18L price tag , I would grab it in a flash !
Thanks! It only makes the A class' case even more stronger now. Which was the intent of my post.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:08   #44
Team-BHP Support

Terrible of Mercedes to only bring the 180s over here. A 110bhp diesel and 120bhp petrol? Really Mercedes? Anyone who spends 20l on a hatchback will drive it themselves and want more power than this. Yes the Mini convertible too is only 120bhp, but then that's a convertible and is known by girls the world over.

Hope Mercedes gets the 200cdi if not the 220cdi.
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Don't give up!. What I heard is, they will bring the A200 cdi AMG Sport later this year along with A 45 AMG which will definitely cost a bomb

Last edited by myavu : 2nd May 2013 at 01:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks