Ford Figo 28 6.28%
Toyota Etios Liva 12 2.69%
VW Polo 17 3.81%
Honda Jazz 4 0.90%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 21:15   #1
BHPian

Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?

Hi
Kindly vote on the basis of your experience the hatchback in present scenario under 10 Lac with best suspension setup to provide most comfortable ride even on bad roads with decent handling.

Last edited by superbhikari : 18th November 2012 at 21:20.
Old 18th November 2012, 21:46   #2
BHPian

re: Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Hi
Kindly vote on the basis of your experience the hatchback in present scenario under 10 Lac with best suspension setup to provide most comfortable ride even on bad roads with decent handling.
Great thread!

Please include Liva, Figo and Chevy Sail. Otherwise the list will be incomplete. All three of them have much better ride compared to the listed likes of i10, Brio, Micra and few others.

Last edited by sups : 18th November 2012 at 21:48.
sups is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 21:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

You seem to have missed two hatchbacks with arguably, the best ride-quality today! The Toyota Etios Liva and the Chevrolet Sail U-VA.

The Punto is pretty good. The Fabia / Polo aren't bad. Same goes for the i20. But the Santro, i10, the Brio, the Jazz are some cars with the worst ride you could get in a small car.

Everything else is 'middle of the road' IMO.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 21:49   #4
BHPian

Ya mate, you forgot the Figo and the Sail, two cars I strongly believe are one of the best handlers in the country. Road manners, suspension and handling these two have in abundance.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:10   #5
BHPian

Chevrolet Sail has received very good reviews to have the best ride quality on bad roads. I am using Tata Vista from past one year and it handles bad roads very well but at low speeds only.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:17   #6
BHPian

If comfort is the top priority, I think it has got to be the Fabia. Great suspension setup, very cosy front seats, and lots of legroom at the back; but the back seat's a bit narrow.
The Punto strikes a good balance between ride and handling. My favourite.
The Polo is very good too.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:17   #7
BHPian

Nothing beats Fiat in terms of ride quality. Be it the Palio or the Punto.

I'm also surprised that Ford Figo is not included in this list !!
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 22:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thread. This voting should ideally be done ONLY by those who have actually driven all the cars included in the list. Else there is a chance that the voting may be biased or not 100% correct.

Among the listed cars, I have never been in Polo / Fabia, which are known for ride + handling combo. Among other choices, I will pick Punto. Have heard good reviews about Liva / Sail / Figo (never drove those though). Also t-bhp official review says the current gen Swift also scores high on ride quality unlike previous gen's stiff ride & is in the range of a Punto. The option for Swift might be required to highlight 'Current Gen'.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 22:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for swift any day. It comes with rally suspension as they advertised when it was launched first

Swift suspension is surely stiffer but it works wonders for me. Ensures that it won't scrape bottom if i drive fast on bad roads.

Only bad point is on those badly designed speed bumps it makes rear seat passengers curse the driver. But then its the un scientific way the bumps are made
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 22:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Simply voted for Punto as this was the best I have experienced.

Definitely not against other ones listed here, the Liva was pretty sorted too, but a bit on the softer side.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Punto, its got the best balance between having a good ride quality and impeccable handing. Dismisses bad roads without a hint of nervousness and no pitching, bouncing etc.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Voted for the Punto.

It simply blows away the competetion when it comes to ride & handling. Very comfortable to drive in. I'm happy with the suspension.

I would rate Polo after the Punto.
Old 19th November 2012, 00:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Not voting as my experience with more than 50% of the models in the list is very limited and I dont want to vote based on online reviews. Here are my 2 cents on those that I've experience with:

Swift is good in the front seats and okay for the rear seats, but its one of the best handling cars I've driven, especially after upgrading to 185/70 rubber. If I leverage the turbo kick on DDiS more often, I hear my mom complaining from the rear about unsettled ride- so that is another factor that contributes to ride comfort. She was actually happier with non-turbo Indica's rear seat as it was impossible for that car to go through sudden acceleration-deceleration cycles, something that becomes necessary on busy 2-lane highways in Kerala if you have any plans on overtaking.

I would consider i10 as a good 2 seater for city thanks to light steering, nothing more. Even the Santro Xing felt more comforable in the rear than the i10 - may be just my perspective.

Have driven and sat on the Punto for multiple short trips and felt it sturdy and comfortable. That said, driving and parking a Punto in city can be a real pain thanks to the turning radius (IIRC, it is 5.5m as against Swift's 4.7m) Probably a good highway car but not an all rounder IMO.

Figo is definitely a very decent handler and very comfortable in the front seats but I dont have experience with the rear seat comfort.

Not commenting on other cars as I dont have much experience with them.

Now the question is how much can the handling be compromised. May be its my driving style - having learned to drive in a Zen and then experienced the Swift pair after that, my expectation levels in handling department is probably a little higher than what would be acceptable to most people. I feel a lot unsafe to drive a car that doesn't follow the line that my mind says. Zen and Swift never deviated from that line while Indica never seemed to know where the line was!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 00:23   #14
BHPian

Voted for Punto, even Palio holds good when compared to the vast majority of the hatchbacks available now. The only hatch that comes close is Figo.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 00:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari
Hi
I can comment only on cars which i experienced my self. Most of the maruti hatchbacks(swift,rit,wagon r)have a comfortable ride and absorb the bumps well at speeds below 40kmph, slightly faster and the suspension tends to crash into the bumps.The swift being a slight exception here .
The i20 too has a comfortable ride but only at lower speeds.

The fabia also has a comfortable ride but its slightly on the stiff side, more or less like the swift.

The figo also has a stiff ride so the bumps are felt more at low speeds as compared to the rest but at higher speeds the ride is much better than The ritz, wagon r, i20. The figo score well in the handling department but ride quality is a downer.

I see the punto has got the highest vote but sadly i have not sat in the punto long enough to comment on the ride.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 19th November 2012 at 00:56.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks