Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 09:25   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo CNG spotted testing, launch soon

Though I've never driven the 1.2 litre petrol Polo, but I understand its underpowered, I wonder if CNG would take the driveability futher down.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:27   #17
BHPian

The existing engine is already anemic for a 1.1 ton car. I just wonder how bad it will be in the CNG avatar.

I had test driven the polo petrol, and I own a hyundai i10(80bhp/860kg). It seemed pretty underpowered, and now this!
Old 12th December 2012, 13:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Though I've never driven the 1.2 litre petrol Polo, but I understand its underpowered, I wonder if CNG would take the driveability futher down.
Sure as hell, it is quite underpowered and without a doubt, the CNG will pull the driveability down even more. Which is why, I'm a little surprised VW is getting the Polo in a CNG avatar in its current form. Sounds a little hasty and reactive to me. FWIW, VW is not a company known to get into something without thoroughly testing it out first. They're also pretty sensitive about the driveability and handling characteristics of their cars - often priding themselves for their engineering and setting very high standards globally about the same.

Ideally for the Polo at least, they should've moved away from the 3-pot motor before undertaking this step.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 12th December 2012 at 13:13.
Old 12th December 2012, 16:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento expected in CNG Avatar. EDIT : Now Polo too!

Supporting CNG for existing petrol car portfolios has not helped any manufacturer other than Maruti coz they have made a serious investment in getting a CNG car roll out right out of the factory. Getting clearance for all authorities, tuning suspension, ECU and other parameters needs time and effort and hence Maruti CNG cars are worth it.

Hyundai also supports CNG for i10 and Santro and similar but they are dealer options and not factory options. Didnt click very well for them.

Honda introduced the CNG in City's top avatar only. No enough analysis and research done. This too didnt click.

I am sure VW will also go for the dealer fitment option. With Polo's high kerb weight and dumb engine, CNG will never click plus VW are not knowing to price products appropriately in first go.

A Polo Diesel being priced at least 50k more than a Swift is unjustified.
A little offtopic comparison

1. Polo Highline diesel is 8.75 on road MUmbai without discounts
2. City CE + alloys + fogs will be 9.00. Add CNG and you are looking at 9.5 on road.

And the City will still have more boot space, more power, loads more space and still have lower maintenance.

Right now Wagon-R still remains the best bet for a small CNG car . This is best for people who commute around 30 kms daily. One refill over the 2 day weekend and your Monday-Friday is covered. Plus a Maruti due to its relatively hi-tech engines and lower kerb weight will always give you the best FE irrespective of the fuel used.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 11:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Internationally Volkswagen bets big on CNG. Automaker hopes natural-gas-powered TGI models can match success of TDIs.

Old 27th August 2013, 15:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

VW will launch variants and models of Polo and Vento to broaden their offerings in the market.
Polo variants are being released like thePolo GT TSI, the turbocharged petrol automatic Polo and then they very recently launched the supposedly-rugged Cross Polo which comes with an added kit which makes the hatchback look a little muscular.

For Vento, it is speculated the CNG variant being tested in Pune which carried conclusive evidence that the mule on test was CNG . Could this be the upcoming Vento CNG? or the 1.4TSI?

http://motorbash.com/is-volkswagen-t...-caught-again/

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th August 2013 at 15:10.

Most Viewed