Team-BHP - 2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/131279-2013-audi-q5-facelift-launch-report-short-drive.html)

Audi has launched the Q5 facelift in India, starting at Rs. 43.16 lakhs (ex-showroom) Delhi. The updated Q5 comes with 3 engine options:
1. 177 BHP 2.0 TDI Diesel
2. 245 BHP 3.0 TDI Diesel
3. 225 BHP 2.0 TFSI Petrol

The diesels are mated to a 7 Speed Dual Clutch Auto (S-Tronic in Audi speak), while the petrol gets a new 8 speed Torque convertor ZF8 Auto gearbox. All variants have the Quattro all-wheel-drive system.

The most prominent visual changes to this mid-life facelift are newer Headlamps, slight re-profiling of the front bumper, a new Hexagonal grille and slightly altered tail lamps. The new LED daytime lights now look more in sync with newer launches by Audi. The 2013 Q5 will be available in 6 exterior and 2 interior color options.

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0379.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0432.jpg

Changes to the interiors are almost unnoticeable, and mainly limited to chrome detailing on some switches. The interiors still feel fresh though. The front seats get full electric adjustments. The MMI interface isn't very intuitive to use; it took me a good amount of time to turn off the annoying navigation system.

The mechanicals get some updates too. All engines are a bit more efficient now, and gain some horsepower as well. Audi's Energy Recovery System has been added to the new Q5 to aid efficiency. The 2.0 TDI variant is rated at 14.6 kpl by ARAI.

The Drive Select system is standard on all variants, offering driving modes such as Comfort, Sport etc. They alter the engine, steering, gearbox and damper response as per your preference.

The earlier Hydraulic Steering has been dumped to make way for a new Electronic Power Steering that Audi (just like other VAG brands) calls the Electro-Mechanical steering.

Other additions include a parking system with an optional camera, Hill descent assist, Driver information system with "rest" suggestion and Navigation.

New Headlamps:
2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0463.jpg

New Grille and Bumper:
2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0464.jpg

Drive Select System:
2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-20130110_163301.jpg

MMI controls are confusing:
2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-20130110_140358.jpg

MMI Options:
2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-20130110_140410.jpg

I was given the top of the line 3.0 TDI variant to drive. Sound insulation inside the cabin is impressive. The most prominent difference over the old Q5 are the softer springs, which in Comfort mode now offer a far more absorbent ride (compared to the outgoing car). Move to Dynamic mode and the damping gets aggressive, but the ride loses its suppleness. Another big difference is the new EPS system. The feel and weight is very similar to the Q3's steering; it's light and vague for the most part. Even my Laura's electro-mechanical unit has more weight & feel. The 3.0 TDI engine has endless reserves of grunt. It starts pulling well from low rpm and post 2,000 rpm, offers simply amazing performance.

A stiff, lumpy ride was a concern in the older Q5. Audi has tried to address this concern by updating the spring rates and making them softer. My short drive on regular roads wasn't enough to draw out conclusions on road behavior. Even though the ride felt improved, it's still a weak point for the Q5 and isn't as balanced as that of the Land Rover Freelander2.

Audi had a custom offroad course prepared to showcase the Q5's skills. The first one was a steep incline and decline to demonstrate the hill start assist / hill descent assist (respectively). The 3.0 TDI climbed effortlessly and the hill start worked as expected. On the steep decline, the Q5 maintained the set speed without locking the wheels, the ABS system working quite aggressively. The Q5 comes with an auto-locking center differential and torque vectoring to direct power to those wheels with traction. Audi also had other obstacles with sand, slush and water. The Q5 clearly has a road-biased suspension setup with not much articulation and suspension travel, yet the Quattro system & electronics work smartly to make up for the deficit, without needing any sort of manual intervention.

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0376.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0378.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0384.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0388.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0395.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0402.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0404.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0412.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0419.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0422.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0427.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0431.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0435.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0454.jpg

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-dsc_0457.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the review!

Decent updates indeed, probably much better than what they have done with the A4 update (at least on the engine/gearbox options).But IMHO, it does look a bit aged when pitted against the likes of the ML250.

Thanks Anshuman for a crisp and well-structured review.

Although quite prominent, I'd say most of the exterior changes are pretty cosmetic really. I expect the 2.0 TDI to do most of the talking for the 2013 Q5 range.

However Audi seems to have given this a fair thought with some work going into the engine/gearbox options and also the behavior of the car. They've tried to address the shortcomings of the outgoing car which is encouraging.

BTW did any member of the troupe get to sample the 2.0 TFSI with 8-speed ZF8 Auto GB?

So...the DSG finally gets potent enough to deal with 580NM of torque ! Why couldnt they have done it a bit earlier ?? That gearbox in a super quick diesel is a dream come true ! The updated Q5 3.0 TDi figures are scarcely believable with a low to mid 6 sec dash to 100. Its almost impossible for anyone to come close to the looks of the evoque in this segment but having said it still looks pretty clean and pleasing.

Audi have launched the Q5 Business Edition again. This time though the price is 40L ex-showroom and 45L on-road in Delhi. The earlier Q5 Business Editions were priced at least 5L cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke (Post 3302828)
Audi have launched the Q5 Business Edition again. This time though the price is 40L ex-showroom and 45L on-road in Delhi. The earlier Q5 Business Editions were priced at least 5L cheaper.

Hey Guys,

Am in the market for a new Premium car and was looking at the New BMW X1 , AUDI Q3 primarily 48L budget. However this Business edition of the Audi Q5 Has come to my knowledge and the pricing is just 4L more than the Top end of Q3. So Am really confused. The Sales Rep says the only thing I will miss Is the Panaromic sun roof and wood trim in the Business edition of Q5. What Do you guys feel? stretch and go For Q5 or Settle with top end of Q3 need your advice. Also what Kind of Discounts can I expect on Q5 if am doing a corporate buy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shai100 (Post 3377085)
Hey Guys,

Am in the market for a new Premium car and was looking at the New BMW X1 , AUDI Q3 primarily 48L budget. However this Business edition of the Audi Q5 Has come to my knowledge and the pricing is just 4L more than the Top end of Q3. So Am really confused. The Sales Rep says the only thing I will miss Is the Panaromic sun roof and wood trim in the Business edition of Q5. What Do you guys feel? stretch and go For Q5 or Settle with top end of Q3 need your advice. Also what Kind of Discounts can I expect on Q5 if am doing a corporate buy?

IIRC the Q5 had some pretty tempting discounts on offer.
As an overall vehicle, I would go with the Q5 simply for the added space and convenience it offers. It may not be as chuckable as the Q3, or even as much fun to drive, but the space and value cannot be compared.
Another option worth checking out is BMW X3 Advantage edition - the 2.0TDi 2013 manufactured has some very good deals. Mumbai prices around 44L without negotiations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shai100 (Post 3377085)
Hey Guys,

Who needs the sunroof and wood trim? If that is all that is missing (I am skeptical) then go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 3377146)
IIRC the Q5 had some pretty tempting discounts on offer.
As an overall vehicle, I would go with the Q5 simply for the added space and convenience it offers. It may not be as chuckable as the Q3, or even as much fun to drive, but the space and value cannot be compared.
Another option worth checking out is BMW X3 Advantage edition - the 2.0TDi 2013 manufactured has some very good deals. Mumbai prices around 44L without negotiations.

Could you please, advise which one between the two - Q5 and X3 ( 2.0 ltr) is better overall in terms of performance, handling , comfort, reliability after sales service perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatrughna (Post 3377842)
Could you please, advise which one between the two - Q5 and X3 ( 2.0 ltr) is better overall in terms of performance, handling , comfort, reliability after sales service perspective.

The Q5 is more comfortable, and handles bad roads better. Performance and handling the X3 is better. After sales BMW offers you BSI, otherwise both are about the same in other aspects.

Keep in mind the X3 facelift is coming around the 2nd half of this year.

What are the differences between the business edition and premium model of audi q5

There is a 9lac difference in price , hence I would like to know whether the premium would be value for money for the additional features it
Provides.

I would be very grateful if any one can upload some photos of the q5 business edition model. (Tried googling but nothing came up)

I am currently using a loaner facelift Q5 3.0TDi as my RS5 is at the workshop for a warranty service, must say I am mighty impressed with the power it belts out. I am instantly reminded of my beloved ex-BMW E60 525d which had an explosive torque surge. There is a bit of lag but once you touch 2500 rpm or so you are instantly thrown back in your seat while the torque takes off. I have driven the pre-facelift 3.0 TDi Q5 but somehow that just didn't feel as explosive in nature. The car has a great driving position too and you get a commanding view of the road.
Besides that the car is average on interior design and pretty bad on the space utilization. The rear seat is cramped and surprisingly small for an SUV. Cabin space utilization has never been a strong point with Audi, even the Q7s seats and space at the rear are small for a car that big.

Audi has recently rolled out the one millionth copy of it's bestselling Q5 SUV from it's Ingolstadt plant in Germany. The milestone Q5 example is an SQ5 version in Sepang Blue shade which is made to order.

2013 Audi Q5 Facelift. Launch Report & Short Drive-audisq5istheonemillionthq5built.jpg

Originally launched in 2008, the Q5 has seen more than 1.6 million units assembled all around the world, including China and India. Now sold in more than 100 worldwide markets by Audi, the Q5 continues to be a strong seller with Audi delivering nearly 2,67,000 units to customers in FY2015 alone.

Now into it's 8th year of existence, the current-gen Q5 is slated to be replaced by an all-new generation next year (link), which will borrow design and styling cues from the Q7. (link)

Official Press Release:

Quote:

This Thursday, the one-millionth Audi Q5 drove off the production line at Audi’s main plant in Ingolstadt. The jubilee car, an SQ5 in Sepang Blue, will be delivered to a family in Germany. The international success of the Audi Q5 began in 2008, when Audi launched this model in the segment of mid-range SUVs – the second Q-model from the brand with the Four Rings after the Audi Q7. Since then, the Audi Q5 has developed into a favorite with the customers and is to be seen on the roads of more than 100 countries. Because Audi produces this top-seller also in China and India for the respective local markets, worldwide deliveries sum up to nearly 1.6 million vehicles.

The Audi Q5 is a genuine guarantee of success for us. For that reason, I am very proud that we have created a worldwide crowd puller with this SUV model from the main plant in Ingolstadt. One million Audi Q5 cars – that is due to the outstanding performance of our production team. We achieved it with great effort and commitment,” stated Albert Mayer, Plant Director at the Audi site in Ingolstadt.

Peter Mosch, Chairman of the Group Works Council of AUDI AG: “On behalf of the Works Council, I would like to thank all the colleagues who put our Audi Q5 on the roads. Their skills make this SUV into an absolute bestseller.”

The company handed over a total of 266,968 Audi Q5 cars to its customers worldwide last year, which is about eight percent more than in 2014 (247,446). The success of the Audi Q5 is steadily continuing, with a further increase in unit sales of 4.7 percent in the first half of this year. The Audi Q5 continues to be the bestselling premium SUV in its segment. Audi employees in Ingolstadt build more than 650 automobiles of this model every day.

In addition, the Audi Group produces this top-seller also in Changchun, China, and Aurangabad, India, for the respective local markets. Altogether, nearly 1.6 million of the Audi Q5 have been sold worldwide since the start of production in 2008. The SUV is especially popular in China, the United States and Germany.

Audi Ingolstadt is the lead plant and mentor for the new Audi plant in Mexico. The Audi Q5 will drive off the production line in San José Chiapa for the world market as of late September.