Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 17:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs

Worst looking steering on a sedan. A little contrasting logo should have helped.
Old 1st February 2013, 17:25   #17
BHPian

Looks nice indeed.

Wish they had introduced a diesel auto.(just like the cruze a/t ) ,that would have been fun

Definately better proposition to the maruti dezire.

Would be interesting to see how it competes with the honda amaze
Old 1st February 2013, 17:46   #18
BHPian

It looks stunning in pictures. I am compelled to say, Chevy nailed the pricing. A real value for money.However, the interiors could be lot better.
Old 1st February 2013, 18:11   #19
BHPian

Following are the turn down points for me.

1) Music system looks dated, my Vista has a better looking one.
2) Steering as someone pointed out looks dated.
3) Interiors are just ok, nothing to cheer about.
4) Power window switches ahead of the gear lever (and not on the front doors).
5) No driver arm rest.
Old 1st February 2013, 18:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Interiors:
The aging Aveo has a more premium looking steering wheel. This one looks very plain.
Attachment 1045904

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Worst looking steering on a sedan. A little contrasting logo should have helped.
Haven't looked at the steering closely on hatch but Looking at this picture, it appears that the steering is stitched steering, Is that a Leather Wrapped Steering? Also, does that steering LOOKS bad in pictures due to its colour or FEELS bad as well when touched?

To me if it is leather wrapped steering it will feel much much better than lot of rubberised/Plasticized Steering wheels in the segment. Also, is that steering common throughout the Sail Line-up or just at the top variant LT?
This car can as well be the best value for money in this segment and a segment above this.

Last edited by anu21v : 1st February 2013 at 18:15.
Old 1st February 2013, 18:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Not nitpicking, but, few things caught my attention:

1. The engine bay seems too big for the 1.2L Petrol engine... much like my own Santro Xing's engine bay. They should have plonked the 1.4L instead IMO.

2. In the image where both wheels (front & rear) are shown the Chevy logo seems slanted in the rear wheel. It appears from the images that the car was already in the place & not driven to the ramp for unveiling, they could have aligned the logos .

3. In one of the interior pics, the OVRM seems dirty. It seems that the cleaner forgot to execute his job properly.
Old 1st February 2013, 18:34   #22
BHPian

Bang on pricing!
Thanks Parrys for detailed report.

Somehow from other media & chevy website I'm getting impression that diesel & petrol are coming with different gear boxes. Is it so?
Old 1st February 2013, 19:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
On the first two counts, I agree with you, but with a caveat that the same parameters make the Verito a good contender too. On the engine front, I do not know how the Sail drives, but I don't find too much scope for improvement in the Dzire, at least going by my experience.
Yeah but the Verito is a very very old design with really pointless upgrades and facelifts. The Verito has no aspiration value associated with it whatsoever. it's downright boxy and it's like flogging a dead horse. Even the cabbies have moved to the Etios.

I drove the Sail U-VA and noticed the improvement over the Swift quite easily. There was lesser lag and it was pulling better below 2000rpm than the Swift. Performance is similar but drivability is improved.

Quote:
People, I am sorry if I sounded unreasonable, but at prices similar to the Dzire, or the Verito (5.16L - 7.19L), I was just thinking the Sail wouldn't be as much a success that it deserves to be. Look at what has become of the UVA- priced between the Ritz and the Swift, in no man's land, no stand- out USP- it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Ever thought what would have been the reaction if they had followed the Figo's 3.84L - 5.99L pricing instead of the now 4.44L - 6.62L?
The hatch segment is a different ball game altogether. When you have the Swift, i20, Figo and Polo, the only way you can make an impact is with a mindblowing product.

In the sedan space things are still developing. The Etios and Dzire are the only ones which are doing decent numbers with the Sunny D catching up.

Things will really begin to heat up when Honda comes out with the Amaze.

That said, I do not expect this car to be a block buster. It will be mediocre. It will take a few sales away from Dzire and Etios. People who need more space than the Dzire and people who want better quality interiors than the Etios will look at this closely. Buyers interested in brand will still prefer the Maruti and the Toyota.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 19:37   #24
BHPian

- Car looks attractive and better than the competition
- Pricing seems good when you keep in mind the "Chevrolet Promise".

Although it would have been good for Chevrolet if it priced it a little lower atleast until it can get some sales numbers
Old 1st February 2013, 19:47   #25
BHPian

I like the car overall barring few things like the steering wheel etc. as others have pointed out as well.
Looks well proportioned but has boring interiors. I don't know how long the market will appreciate it.

I keep a car for almost 5 years and the only thing that stops me from buying it, if it goes the aveo way. I don't want to feel like if i owned the aveo today.A car no one wants to buy. (Generally speaking)

Last edited by k2max6 : 1st February 2013 at 19:49.
Old 1st February 2013, 20:39   #26
BHPian

What is the level of chinese involvement in SAIL sedan and hatch sold in India?
Old 1st February 2013, 20:43   #27
BHPian

A couple of things struck me: Electric OVRMs and beading on the on the rear doors that tapers down all the way to the bottom. The latter will be a boon preventing dust from accumulating.

I feel the package is better than Toyota offerings in the similar category.
Old 1st February 2013, 22:05   #28
BHPian

The best looking entry level sedan. Seems solidly built, atleast in pics. This seems like a mini cruze to me, though engine options are for fuel efficiency; good strategy since the entry level sedan sales is driven by fuel efficiency and space.
If marketed well and aggressively, this has great potential. In future if they plonk a AT version under 8 lacs, even better.
Old 1st February 2013, 22:19   #29
BHPian

Very kool looking sedan i would say in the given price range.

The exteriors looks neat and composed unlike the verito and etios. Interiors could have been more appealing and classy.

The mills seem to be promising but cannot be a the best behind the steering!!

Needless to say the chevys 3/5 yr maintenance plan is to consider to chose this car.

Its not gonna create huge waves in the market but expect small ripples
Old 1st February 2013, 22:32   #30
BHPian

They should have just rebadged the Aveo and plonked the 1.3 mjd. The Aveo remains one of the best looking entry level sedans even today. Being an old model they would have been able to significantly undercut the Dzire as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks