Team-BHP - Mercedes-Benz Launches the G63 AMG @ Rs. 1.46 Crore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes-Benz Launches the G63 AMG @ Rs. 1.46 Crore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/132711-mercedes-benz-launches-g63-amg-rs-1-46-crore-2.html)

Am not sure it is credible to equate a G with any other offering from other companies. Yes, it looks boxy and I saw one yesterday and quickly got reminded of our good old Mahindra Bolero (the side profile is uncannily similar).

If you want a noble contender to the looks and opulence of the Landies, suggest you look out for the new GL class. The G wagon however is built for people whi want to drive one tire on the mountain whilst the other rests on sea next to it. I am not a fan of it either, and quite frankly I will go for the flying spur Bentley if I have that kind of money - but here in the Middle East, I have seen more Gs that Evoques, Freelanders or the type.

Whoa! Look at those figures. 536BHP, 760Nm of Torque. 0-100 in 5.4 seconds. 210kmph electronically limited. I would like to know what this beast is capable of doing, if it were not electronically limited.

The front three quarters resemble a sumo and the rear three-quarters resemble a Bolero. stupid: As a kid, when I first saw this vehicle in one of those action movies, I actually thought it was a Sumo. My dad laughed it off saying it was a Merc and it was Tata who ripped it.

Its indeed an impeccable vehicle but if I have that amount of money to spend I would rather spend it on a Range Rover or a Cayenne albeit I wouldn't get the exclusivity of the AMG badge.
I remember reading the G-wagon's review on Team-BHP where it was taken up North or somewhere for testing.
The local Tempo Trax and Sumo drivers asked "Trax ka caapy?" lol:
And when the driver asked about the power under the hood, the reply was
"Paanch Sau!" :D

-Bhargav

Pardon my ignorance but why is the AMG hugely overpriced? I see no other +ve other than the performance figures and the engine capacity. Agrreed that it is feature rich, but Merc itself has all these features even in the 50 Lac E-Class.

Why is it retro looking? The looks also are a mixed bag of Sumo & Bolero. IMHO its price should have been 50-60 Lac Max. Will it give an owership pride more than S-Class, Audi A8 etc? I doubt.

I may sound like a layman, but this is what I felt.

:deadhorse

Now only if M&M could take some styling cues from the G63 and do the needful on the Bolero, it would be great!

Grrrreat! If all super cars look this "beautifull", my life would be so easy. I would not envy the rich.:)

BTW, in lighter vein, its owners would have to put a big sticker screaming, " No. It's indeed a Merc and not a Bolero with 3-pointed star." At least, could they not take out those 90s rain-gutters ( rust-prone area )? Most of us criticise Lancer Evo and CRV for being over-priced. Well, what is this? Now I know why Mercedes is relegated to third spot behind Audi and BMW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akash_m (Post 3046322)
Pardon my ignorance but why is the AMG hugely overpriced? I see no other +ve other than the performance figures and the engine capacity. Agrreed that it is feature rich, but Merc itself has all these features even in the 50 Lac E-Class.

Why is it retro looking? The looks also are a mixed bag of Sumo & Bolero. IMHO its price should have been 50-60 Lac Max. Will it give an owership pride more than S-Class, Audi A8 etc? I doubt.

I may sound like a layman, but this is what I felt.

:deadhorse

Let's blame the price on the AMG badge, as well as import duties. As far as looks are concerned, it was never priority for this car. This thing can go anywhere, unlike the S-class.

Also, GL class was developed as replacement for this one, but the demand was so high that MB could not discontinue G-wagon.

Since looks was never a concern, MB has kept it the same (except minor tweaks and adding DRLs, perhaps). Other than looks, everything else has improved over the years (now please don't compare it to Safari Storme stupid:).

The new G-Wagen! Hmm... Instead of Wagen, they should now call it a Sports Wagen! Literally, the G-Wagen has it's performance figure right into sports car category! A timeless design, coupled with a touch of modern tweaks and off-road capacity of a Rangie, makes it suitable for army as well as private owner (if he could resist land rovers and other products of market). Way to go! Mercedes!

P.S. Time to watch 'A Good Day To Die Hard'! :)

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 3045971)
Wrong, the G class was produced for the German army!

The G-class was developed as a military vehicle from a suggestion by the Shah of Iran (at the time a great shareholder) to Mercedes.

So maybe I used 'order' instead of 'suggestion'. Still not sure whether ze Germans were the first customers or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...ss#cite_note-2

Cheers!
Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjalihal (Post 3046610)
The G-class was developed as a military vehicle from a suggestion by the Shah of Iran (at the time a great shareholder) to Mercedes.

So maybe I used 'order' instead of 'suggestion'. Still not sure whether ze Germans were the first customers or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...ss#cite_note-2

Cheers!
Rohan

Thanks, an interesting point to note. Most probably, the iranian connection was played down in 1979 when the Shah was overthrown

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octane_Power (Post 3046238)
I remember reading the G-wagon's review on Team-BHP where it was taken up North or somewhere for testing.

Here's the thread where Ajmat got to play with the G55 //AMG up in the mountains:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...0-amg-g55.html

cya
R

IMO the G63 AMG is the most pointless cars available in the Indian market today.

However they could make it up by launching the G350 BlueTEC Diesel (3.0 V6) Which shall make it affordable by atleast INR 30-35L (on ex-showroom prices)

This may be out of context but this car's meter console seems to have inspired an Indian Manufacturer (M&M) also. I always felt XUV500's console was quite unique but after seeing the G63's I am suddenly having my doubts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 3047336)
This may be out of context but this car's meter console seems to have inspired an Indian Manufacturer (M&M) also. I always felt XUV500's console was quite unique but after seeing the G63's I am suddenly having my doubts.

Rip Off - Looks like it is!
But where the one is Classy the other is ...
Having said that, this is not the only thing that manufacturers have ripped off, from a G, in India.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3047244)
Here's the thread where Ajmat got to play with the G55 //AMG up in the mountains:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...0-amg-g55.html

cya
R

Just to recap, the G55/ G63 is a hoot to drive on a straight road. Otherwise, it's old underpinnings shows up - whilst cornering it understeers and the ride is stiff. Off-road ability is limited due to the road tyres.

It has character by the bucketful. however a Merc G350 D if availalbe would be the most optimum one!