Team-BHP - Mercedes-Benz Launches the G63 AMG @ Rs. 1.46 Crore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes-Benz Launches the G63 AMG @ Rs. 1.46 Crore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/132711-mercedes-benz-launches-g63-amg-rs-1-46-crore-3.html)

Old the G Class maybe, but IMHO it would be stretching things a little if we call it "obsolete". It is so advanced, and Mercedes have updated it comprehensively, that many vehicles in its price- bracket are yet to catch up with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 3047320)

However they could make it up by launching the G350 BlueTEC Diesel (3.0 V6) Which shall make it affordable by atleast INR 30-35L (on ex-showroom prices)

The G63AMG costs Rs. 83L in Germany, without considering the import duties we have to pay in India. And even the G 350 BlueTEC goes at 52L there. Germans pay a VAT of 19%, and the prices with VAT are 98L & 62L respectively.

For that 30L, Mercedes would sell a teeny- tiny GLK 220CDI in Germany. And while at it, we may recollect that Hyundai asks 27L ex- showroom for a Santa Fe AT. :)

OMG. Now who will buy the Sumo?stupid:

This car doesnt corner well nor is it a good off roader nor it has 7 seats

I was wondering why does this car make sense any way at this price tag ?

POWER ?

Then why not the Audi Q7 6.0 V12 Tdi ?

Its about 500 horses of diesel power & 1000 NM of Torque

Will get to the 100 in the same time.

Will corner equally good if not better

Will be almost as capable if not better on off road / ground clearance.

And top speed @ 250 km/h (unlike the G63s 210 km/hr)

Anddd should be shy under 1 crore (ex-showroom) when launched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 3048056)
This car doesnt corner well nor is it a good off roader nor it has 7 seats

I was wondering why does this car make sense any way at this price tag ?

POWER ?

Why not? Coz it's not the G. A lot of human decisions go beyond rationality. Probably buying the G63 is one of them. And I mean it in a good way.

I don't mean to disrespect the Q7 v12 in any way. Its probably brilliant but certain purchases aren't just a sum of parts. Also, let's face it, a Q7 with even a W16 engine will not (never?) elicit the same reaction as a G63.

You probably make way more practical sense than me here but I disagree completely :D. Now only if I had the money to put where my mouth is....:Frustrati

Cheers,
Adi

Quote:

Anddd should be shy under 1 crore (ex-showroom) when launched.

Its not going to be launched, Audi has stopped use of the V12 tdi now since it does not meet Euro 5 norms (or was it Euro 6).

The G63 is aimed at people who want only a Gelandewagen, and those people will not consider any other cars instead of it. Its got a big enough fan base, and people comparing this to a Range Rover are not the target audience of this vehicle. If there is one word for this car, its Gangsta.

Quote:

Audi is not going to Launch it in India due to the bad quality of fuel. There would not be enough units sold to justify it being brought to India. If its brought in as a direct import which someone who wants to own it has too, it would not carry any warrenty here. This means the owner has to pay for service and parts at a dealership service center or find an indipendant garage qualified to work on it.

The next best thing if someone wants a diesel Suv would be the Porsche Cayenne S Diesel with 350 or 380 Bhp and 850 nm torque and a 0-100 times of 5.6 seconds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR (Post 3048088)
Why not? Coz it's not the G. A lot of human decisions go beyond rationality. Probably buying the G63 is one of them. And I mean it in a good way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 3048120)

The G63 is aimed at people who want only a Gelandewagen, and those people will not consider any other cars instead of it. Its got a big enough fan base, and people comparing this to a Range Rover are not the target audience of this vehicle. If there is one word for this car, its Gangsta.

agree:

It is the G brand which is working. The fan base is too strong which will make this vehicle sell at astronomical prices too (But IMO Mercedes is taking way too much advantage of the fan base)

But what my point was, that what can one buy in that kind of money(or less) to do a similar kind of job and be equally awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 3048123)
The next best thing if someone wants a diesel Suv would be the Porsche Cayenne S Diesel with 350 or 380 Bhp and 850 nm torque and a 0-100 times of 5.6 seconds.

Yes, that is an equally astonishing car too :thumbs up

Mercedes reveals an $450K addition to its portfolio. Expected volume: 20 or 30 initially. ( I call these the 'why?' cars. As one reader comments, the first batch will be sold out in LA and NY, where this thing is absolutely unnecessary :))

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...173918528.html

On a different note, I have always had an issue with calling an 'introduction' a 'launch'. Lamborghini 'launches' in India...to sell 10 units per year ?! Doesn't make sense.

Saw a (pearl finish) White G-Wagon (AMG) near Kalindi Kunj, Delhi. Once can easily confuse it with a Sumo (on steroids) though stupid:, as it has much better finished, has much bigger alloys & wheels & a rear mounted spare.

Here is a cheeky test by Chris Harris to show the pulling prowess of the monster.

Ford Fiesta ST v. Mercedes G63 AMG, Sort Of. :p Enjoy!

Ford Fiesta ST v. Mercedes G63 AMG, Sort Of.