Local workshop 7 24.14%
Known/experienced mechanic at home 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2006, 12:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
In an Ideal world, that would be the case. However there are far too many reports of dealers charging for work done, oil changes, filter changes etc, but not actually doing the job. The last time I had my car there for some work, they threw out my Pipercross filter and put in a rubbish paper filter! This after i specifically told them about it.

Also, lets not confuse a local garage with your roadside/alleyway/flybynight mechanic who's idea of tools is a hammer and screw driver. There are excellent independent garages out there with good equipment and knowledgeable staff. These are the places you should look out for.
Last time the ASC threw out my Mobil1 after telling him not to, he promptly agreed to 2 future free oil changes. And yes, I did check and he had done them.

Nobody is talking about flybynight. However, most garages with good establishment are still using the roadside a heck of a lot. I have had good experience with a couple of local garages for my cars, but also with ASC. So even if stuff can be repaired, but should be replaced, I go to ASC, otherwise to the local garage. e.g. minor bumper skirmish in swift - I am getting it done at good garage (he has colour matching) in 1500, where ASC will ask for replacement+paint at 8k+

The other issue is that cars are getting more and more complicated. Swift ZXI - are you really going to trust any independent garage to handle any ABS/Airbag/EPS issues presently? Say, even minor problem with horn, with airbag, local fellow cannot touch. Maybe in a few years from now, they will also upgrade.
Old 28th July 2006, 15:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO it all depends on the car.
For eg -
Fiat Palio - Independant garage after bad experiences with ASC. When we sent our car to Shaman for servicing, the state in which it was returned was pathetic.
There was dust all over the car and all over the interiors and it took close to 3 hours to clean it.
Sadly our driver went to pick it up so there wasn't much one could do about it.
Mercedes Benz E270 CDI- ASC all the way. No one would want to take a risk if anything goes wrong.
Mitsubishi Lancer - Independant Garage. For regular services the ASC is quite good and they throw in a interior polish and all but ask for some work to get done under warranty and they refuse.There was some issue with the suspension for quite a while and they didn't do anything.
However when we sent it to our local garage they fixed it within a day and it is now working like a charm.
Honda Accord - ASC
Fiesta and corolla - ASC.

It all depends on the free services were taken care of. If you aren't happy with the free services then go somewhere else. Thats what i believe.
Old 28th July 2006, 19:14   #33
BHPian

i had this very bad experience for my esteem at the ASC.

I got my clutch plate and pressure plate changed from them
and they charged me around 7500 rs. i took the test-drive after the work was done and i was satisfied, but after a week i started facing the same old problem and was really pissed and i felt that i was cheated royally.

I really hate ASC.........................
Old 28th July 2006, 21:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

If the Independent Garage is good and has all the techy stuff, then i'd be more than happy to get my car worked up there. Just in case i need some body parts, i can get it from the ASC.
Old 28th July 2006, 21:19   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz_rules
i had this very bad experience for my esteem at the ASC.

I got my clutch plate and pressure plate changed from them
and they charged me around 7500 rs. i took the test-drive after the work was done and i was satisfied, but after a week i started facing the same old problem and was really pissed and i felt that i was cheated royally.

I really hate ASC.........................

Hi,

I think you got ripped of as a clutch/pressure plate set does not cost more than Rs2500.

Viper
Old 9th October 2007, 10:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

bumping up an old thread.......

I think it is time this discussion was renewed since we have seen some unfortunate incidents of late with Tata, Ford, Fiat and Skoda at their A.S.C.s

also, to make the discussion more meaningful, how about members post a list of competent independant garagesin their city based on experience/reputation of the garage so that other can benefit from this information.

thanks

himanshu
Old 9th October 2007, 12:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

I think most of the local mechanic shops are not quite equipped with the equipments to deal with services. I would rather prefer to stick to A.S.C. Moreover, the mechanics in the ASC would be trained by company itself.

Only old horses like amby/fiat/maruti would be good with local mechanics. Now a days, much more hi-tech cars are into the market and the local mechanics would not even know what is there inside the power plant unless they read/have experienced servicing the cars.

Anybody owning a skoda and other top end models will seldom take risk with local mechanics. Anyways, this is my idea....
Old 9th October 2007, 12:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Any thoughts on Ali Garage in Kormanagala 4th Block, Bangalore?
I have heard a lot of good things about these folks but have so far resisted them.
Old 10th October 2007, 09:49   #39
BHPian

From my experience with my Indica, I find that independent garages are more effective and cheaper at resolving problems. I had a persistant engine problem which the showroom ASC could not resolve properly for over 4 months. Finally, a local 1 room garage down near my house solved the problem. Since then I have been giving to independent garages.

In anycase, my waranty is over........
Old 10th October 2007, 11:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Hey there Team-bhpians. When servicing your car, where would you go? An Authorised service centre or an independant garage? Would love to know about your experience at both.

Drifter
While the car is in warranty, then it's definitely at the workshop of a dealer 'cause of better availability of spare parts and easier settlement of warranty issues. After warranty period, it's my time tested garage for regular oils, filters n fluids changes at every 5K Km. Though after every 15K Km I take it to a A.S.S. for peace of mind of getting a more thorough inspection. Been doing that for my Indica (1 Lac+ Km), M800 (~80K Km) and will do the same for my Esteem (7K+ Km).
Old 6th January 2009, 09:30   #41

where do you service your cars??

Does everyone take their cars to authorised service stations?? Am sick and tired of paying through my nose everytime I take my 4 year old optra for service to GM. If you live in mumbai, please suggest a reliable local garage for my car. I live in andheri and a garage close to home would be ideal.
I would also like to replace my drivers seat to one with lumbar support. The oem version costs Rs.36,000!!!. Do I have to buy an optra seat or are 3rd party seats availaible???
Old 6th January 2009, 11:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

@Schumacher, if you want discuss about A.S.S vs TP service centers, pls do a search. There are quite a few threads around.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ou-prefer.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-party-sc.html

If you want to discuss about replacement seats, pls search here. There should be something somewhere.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

I do take my cars to the Auth Service Centres when they have the first year free services.

After that if it does not have a major problem, I'd take them to a good reputed service station ( not necessarily an authorised one ).

Delhi - I can recommend an excellent place for people looking to get their cars serviced at a good nominal cost and while doing it drooling at imported cars also.

The pump at Vasant Vihar has an Authorised Hyundai service station behind, you can get non hyundai cars serviced as well.

If all imported cars like Merc's & Beemers can come here then what's wrong with our vehicles - they should be a piece of cake for these guys.

The Auth Service Centres nowadays are robbing customers blind. I was recently quoted 4000 Rs for my Verna's second free service !! Shocking !!
Old 6th January 2009, 12:55   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Schumacher, if you want discuss about A.S.S vs TP service centers, pls do a search. There are quite a few threads around.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ou-prefer.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-party-sc.html

If you want to discuss about replacement seats, pls search here. There should be something somewhere.
Thank you condor. will someone recommend a good garage in mumbai preferably bandra to andheri.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:21   #45
BANNED

I will prefer a competent independent any day. He earns his corn by giving you good service at a good price. The dealer makes most of his profits in car sales, and has a captive clientèle. One good intermediate option is an xASS, if one exists.

The problem with independents is that most manufacturers guard the service documentation like mama bears. I am sure this is illegal since I as a buyer have right to maintain the vehicle as I see fit, and not be prone to the monopolistic whims of the vendor. May be TEAM-BHP can take this isseu up, or at least facilitate easy availability of good third party manuals like Haynes.

While in larger cities spares are available, in smaller towns getting these may also entail delays.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th January 2009 at 14:22. Reason: minor addition
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks