Team-BHP - SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/133395-scoop-pics-chinese-foton-tunland-pick-up-spotted-testing-near-pune.html)

When you see a big handsome pickup with chequered markings and emblems taped over, you take as many pictures as you can! Prateek did exactly that, scooping the first pics of this rather good looking Chinese Foton Tunland pickup on test in Pune, while on his way to work clap:

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-20130306_091345.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-20130306_091352.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-20130306_093118.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-20130306_093157.jpg

Foton Motors is actually Beiqi Foton Motor Co Ltd, China's largest commercial vehicle manufacturer. It announced plans in 2011 to invest Rs 1,676 crore in India to manufacture light, medium and heavy trucks. These plans seem to have slowed down due to troubles in the Chinese market, and the Tunland is now expected to be launched only around 2015.

Their manufacturing plant spread over 250 acres is located at Chakan near Pune, with a corporate office at Kalyaninagar, Pune. The HR department has been busy making offers to talent from Tata, Mahindra Navistar, Daimler India Commercial Vehicles etc.

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-tunland-landscape.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-tunland-interior.jpg

While it does look somewhat like Tata’s Xenon pickup on steroids, the Tunland pickup has some renowned component suppliers onboard. It is powered by a 2.8 liter, Cummins ISF turbo-diesel with 120kW (160 BHP) and 360 Nm of torque, that is designed to last 500,000 km! Foton already makes the 2.8-liter diesel in China under a 50:50 joint venture with Cummins. The five speed manual transmission is from Getrag Germany, axles from Dana and transfer case from Borg Warner.

The Tunland already competes with Mahindra’s Scorpio based pick-up in markets such as Australia and South Africa.

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-tunland-rear.jpg

Related Thread : Foton Trucks in India?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Great scoop! You sure have a very keen eye. I just have 2 questions:

1) If the planned launch is for 2015, then how is it that a fully ready test mule on the indian roads? Could it be that the launch has been brought forward?

2) Also what is this fascination by new entrants with selling Pick-ups in india? You had Isuzu entering with 2 Pick up models and now this. I mean how many pickups do they see on indian roads to make them come to the conclusion that Pick ups will sell in India?

Looks good and it scored 3 stars in ANCAP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo4J3my0es

There was an article about Foton setting up plant in Pune, may be it will be ready by 2015 to manufacture this vehicle!
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news-top...i-foton-motor/

It does look like Toyota Hilux! :D. 'Fortuner' version of this would be interesting.
Pic : Google search!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amrisharm (Post 3058616)

2) Also what is this fascination by new entrants with selling Pick-ups in india? You had Isuzu entering with 2 Pick up models and now this. I mean how many pickups do they see on indian roads to make them come to the conclusion that Pick ups will sell in India?

I agree,l used to run a plantation and Mahindra ruled over the Tata pickup.
The Mahindra was hardy, reliable, could carry much more than what the manufacturer specified. You could repair it at any road side garage!!

These stylish pickups are way more costly than what most Indian farmers can afford especially since they come in at Rs 8 lakh plus on road !!

Thats why Mahindra used to rule and still does in the rural market with the Double cabs and the Pik-ups. Cheap, tough, reliable and fuel efficient, whats not to like ?

The factory/ plant in Chakan is currently under construction.
The company will launch all types of vehicles - starting with commercial vehicles in 2015. There will be SUV's and cars too launched subsequently.

Source: I know someone who is responsible for marketing in the company.

With so many manufacturers and vehicle choices added each year, our development authorities are not doing enough. I pity our next generations.

The front end and the interiors look great. But, the whole butch stance goes for a toss when the Tunland is viewed from the rear. I just hope they do something to the rear end before launch.

The so called SUV avatar of Foton Tunland is likely to be more successful than this pick-up version on the cost front. The interiors appear more lovelier than the C segment entry sedans we see a lot today. The luggage box feels like an add-on to a hatch which is in a way suited to bulid on a covered SUV'ish third box.

Their head office is next to Aga Khan palace on the Pune-Nagar road in the same complex as BBQ Nation. I always thought it was at best an IT office, never thought it was their HQ and these were their plans!!

Thanks for sharing! Will keep an eye open for these trucks going forward. Any idea in what area of Pune were these plying when clicked?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 3060319)
Any idea in what area of Pune were these plying when clicked?

Nilesh, I spotted 'em on Nagar Road. We were together till Chinchwad station where I took exit to my office.

EDIT: one more picture where both the test vehicles are visible.

SCOOP Pics! Chinese Foton Tunland (Pick-Up) spotted testing near Pune-20130306_093641.jpg

I was wondering when I saw this vehicle on Alandi road today afternoon, and yes as usual we have a total details on TBHP of this vehicle :).

Kiran

These trucks don't rate high on safety... managed 3-star rating in ANCAP (link:http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...c1Jk5uZT0xNQ..).

Tunlands come standard with twin front airbags, an anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), three-point front seatbelts with pretensioners and force-limiters, a driver’s seatbelt reminder, anti-trap power front windows, child safety locks, reversing sensors, daytime running lights and a limited-slip differential, these need not be offered in Indian variants :Frustrati, so the safety rating of the Indian variant could be even lower.

Thanks for the information guys. It is good to see the Pickup Truck market is picking up in India. Would love to own one soon. clap:

Well the best of chinese copies now available in india at cheap prices.

Anyway i doubt it will have the quality of Toyota at such low prices in india.

Im glad i have the original..Hilux the Invincible!

Spotted this pickup in Pune on my way to office! Couldn't figure out the brand though.
It was loaded with lots of gallons being ON-TEST. Projectors and fog lamps gives it the "premium" look. It looked nice and sturdy from the front. Any idea which one is this?