Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 17:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Ambassador Hatchback coming up in 2014

The last time I read on the thread of Ambassador CS, I recall somebody commenting that it seemed more of the car being banged against the wall rather than it being a design! This time I wonder whether the hatchback will have the rear tyres at all :(

I don't think there is really much to read into the February sales of Ambassador and say that it sold more than Fiestas and Lineas. Does it really make sense? HM is going nowhere with there attitude and like releasing BSIV complaint cars when BSV is about to come into force.
Old 20th March 2013, 17:54   #17
BHPian

Unless HM builds a brand new car from the ground up, I don't see this "Hatchback" find any takers.

Don't think any wants to be seen in a hatchback with the drag coefficient of a potato
Old 20th March 2013, 19:44   #18
BHPian

Amby's spec says, length is 4325 mm. If they just cut of the dicky alone (retaining rest of dimensions as is) it would be Amby-hatch! It would have all that people buy Amby for (except dicky). We may have some jugaad style competition of i20?

Per se, doesn't look to be a bad idea? (Am I making my path to Whacky mods thread?!)
Old 20th March 2013, 19:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Amby's spec says, length is 4325 mm. If they just cut of the dicky alone (retaining rest of dimensions as is) it would be Amby-hatch! It would have all that people buy Amby for (except dicky). We may have some jugaad style competition of i20?

Per se, doesn't look to be a bad idea? (Am I making my path to Whacky mods thread?!)
Competition to "Swift" too, with Amby's rounded edges ! Who knows ? Amby hatch might look as good/bad as these 2 hatches and possibly, Ritz !
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 20:29   #20

First, the "Pickup truck" looks like one from US of A in the 1920s.
Second, the Amby hatch is going to look like the first VW beetle if they're going to maintain the looks.

Either ways, there's not much progress on the looks front.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Old cars don’t die and go to heaven; they get sold in newer variants!

Now, Business Standard reports that Hindustan Motors is developing a hatchback version of the long-in-the-tooth Ambassador.
I can't wait to see what this new hatchback version of the venerable Ambassador looks like! The makers of the original would be flipping in their graves for the pickup truck version, the sub 4 meter version and now the hatchback version - what has come of their creation!

Jokes aside, I think it is a confused logic from HM to even consider making a hatchback of the Ambassador. What they needed to do was modernize the car platform first instead of trying to milk the cow dry. The buyers of the current Ambassador like it because of the space and trunk etc. If you are going to shrink it and take of the boot space, you are alienating the very few customers you have for the possibility of attracting fewer more. This product will probably be Dead on Arrival.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 21:05   #22
BHPian

HM has to be one of the most shameless companies in India. The WB government would serve the State and the HM workers far better by taking back its land, kicking the Birlas out, selling the land for a couple of hundred crores, giving VRS to the workers and rest to an already bankrupt State treasury!
crazydave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 00:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yes ofcourse, an Ambassador hatchback is the ultimate answer by HM to retain the brand in the urban market especially among the youth. I see the hatchback version to be a hit among those who aspire Mini Cooper like looks but at a fraction of the cost. Obviously the car may not have the performance of a Mini but nevertheless a 1.2L petrol and possibly a 1.5l diesel would be the engine options and adequate enough to achieve performance figures better than its modern rivals. At around 4-5 lakh rupees why would anyone go for any other modern hatchback over this is something I cannot understand

Great job HM.

Last edited by S2!!! : 21st March 2013 at 00:21.
Old 21st March 2013, 01:19   #24
NMM

I for one am quite excited to hear that HM is trying to resurrect the Amby. They should take a leaf out of mahindra's book. If the quanto can do decent numbers An Amby with a torquey efficient diesel engine with abs & moderately modernised interiors will give it a fighting chance to make it.
NMM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 02:03   #25
BHPian

Looks like HM folks took the famous Peugeot ad too seriously. Ony if it was that easy to make a hatch out of that domed monstrosity.
Old 21st March 2013, 05:27   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
It quotes MD Uttam Bose saying that 'R&D has already begun and the hatchback version of the Ambassador will have more features and better interiors'.
I wonder what the size of their R&D department is. Their resume would probably say - "Redesigned" the Amby to make a pickup truck, and a hatchback using a hack-saw blade and paint.

My uncle used to call his Amby - "Taj" - that dome always had a special place in his heart. Perhaps he would still buy this hatch.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I don't see an Issue with this. If they modernise the Amby both interiors, exteriors and the engine i.e. I'm just happy with it. Just how BMW re-did the mini cooper.
They gave it a new chasis and drivetrain too, I believe?
I doubt that's the case with the Amby!
Old 21st March 2013, 10:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

HM can do R&D??? You got to be kidding.

Just leave the car alone and let it sell as is. Get some quality control rolling for a change. For a car costing close to 6lac, its just junk and problem prone from day one. Get in touch with the Ambassador owners who love this car and listen to them on what all needs fixing at the manufacturing stage itself.

Its amazing that this car is still on sale today.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 10:52   #29
BHPian

If the new hatchback will look something like the mini cooper, then yeah, some might be intrested !
Old 21st March 2013, 10:52   #30
BHPian

Sometimes i wish some manufacturer copies the ambassador body (like them Chineese) and come out with a much more modern interior with leather and all, a new and refined engine ( the Fiat multi-jet, what else?), gear box, suspension leaving the exterior just like the old amby, and they would find many a buyer.

I would pre book a black one for sure. Even now a prestinely maintained shiny black amby would gather many an envious aahs and oohs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks