Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 14:54   #1
BHPian

Hyundai India confirms compact-SUV and MUV plans. EDIT: expected 2014 & 2015

As the no.2 car maker in India, Hyundai has been conspicuous by its absence in the high volume UV segment. Hyundai offers neither an MUV nor a compact SUV.

The Korean giant is now waking up with new UV models planned for the Indian market. Times of India quotes Hyundai CEO & MD Bo Shin Seo stating that the company is planning to launch a compact SUV, MUV and a new hatchback. The hatchback he is talking about is of course the next gen i10 (Related news item) that will have petrol & diesel engines. i10 sales were down by 20% in February compared to last year. However, it remains the No.3 petrol car in India (after the Alto & Wagon R).

The MUV is based on Hyundai's new utility vehicle platform for emerging markets. Hyundai hasn't missed the fact that the Innova and Ertiga clock healthy numbers month after month. Mr. Seo also indicated that Hyundai won't launch any model below the Eon's price point. Our prediction is that the Santro will be discontinued, the i10 will move a notch lower and the new generation car will stand where the i10 does today.

Hyundai lost out on potential volumes by selling a petrol-only i10. The company has invested more than Rs. 1,500 crore on a new 300,000 engines / year production line. Both, diesel and petrol motors will be made here. This will also allow Hyundai to price its diesel offerings competitively, as diesel engines will no longer be imported. Hyundai currently imports over 10,000 diesel engines every month from South Korea.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2013 at 16:38.
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 16:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai India confirms compact-SUV plans for 2014 & MUV for 2015

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Old 29th March 2013, 19:02   #3
BHPian

The Hexa Space looks too Stylish/Futuristic for the current market. It will surely make heads turn if launched AS-IS. Interior seems be in a complete newness in the segment as well as for Hyundai itself.
ZigWheels say it will launch by Mid 2013, that's pretty soon. Would really love to see it in flesh once it arrives.

By the Way, What happened to the Tucson/ix35? I guess it might have been a good car in the missing segment that Hyundai has.

Last edited by vidyanand : 29th March 2013 at 19:23. Reason: Added content/question.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:59   #4
BHPian

Its nice to know that Hyundai have realised that to survive in the competition, they need to have diesel options across different segments. Among the asian players, Hyundai has been able to come out with solid diesel engines. Especially the previous Verna, Tucson. MUV was one option which was missing from their portfolio and if they get it right, they can eat into the sales of the Innova, Ertiga. However the key is the value proposition, pricing and positioning apart from a solid engine, good egonormics, the bells and whistles. After Maruti, they have the best service network coverage in the business. Lets wait and watch this space for more inputs
Old 30th March 2013, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Redline, thats a nice update. Guys any idea which car is it in the 2nd pic. It definitely looks bigger than a normal hatchback.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
...Guys any idea which car is it in the 2nd pic. It definitely looks bigger than a normal hatchback.
Next gen i10. It is dimensionally bigger than current i10 and in India, will sit between the current i10 & i20.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 14:26   #7
BHPian

I'm awestruck by the looks of that car. Hope the final one available to the Indian market looks like this. I'll be first in line to buy it!
Old 30th March 2013, 18:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is the car in the back(behind the two i10s) Hexa space ?

It surely looks bigger and has different design right from A pillar more like an UV.
Old 30th March 2013, 18:18   #9
M35
BHPian

Have a look at a couple of pictures of the MPV here.
Not really looking great those.
Old 30th March 2013, 19:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Is the car in the back(behind the two i10s) Hexa space ?

It surely looks bigger and has different design right from A pillar more like an UV.
If Hyundai could manage to produce fluidic-styled MUV's and UV's, then it would shake this boring sector of market completely, hence blowing a breadth of fresh air in this mundane segment. So, this means we could see a fluidic- bolero competitor and Innove competitor? Only time will tell. I guess engine-option would be Verna's 1.6 litre diesel and Elantra's 1.8 litre petrol engine.

Note to hyundai:-
  • Style it fluidically!
  • Load it to the brim with features.
  • Price it in the heart of respective segments.
  • Watch the market boom!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: The attachment has expired. Please upload it again.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2013 at 12:05. Reason: The attachment has expired. Please upload it again.
Old 30th March 2013, 20:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
...Note to hyundai:-
  • Style it fluidically!
  • Load it to the brim with features.
  • Price it in the heart of respective segments.
  • Watch the market boom!
I think you need to add only one point; that's the last one! The rest, they anyway do, by default now a days! It's so commendable how did they sealed a presence in every segment they are present, after initial backlash, while Maruti still struggles in-spite of the huge market share and first mover advantage.
Old 30th March 2013, 20:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
I

If Hyundai could manage to produce fluidic-styled MUV's and UV's, then it would shake this boring sector of market completely,
Hyundai has been abusing fluidic design so much that some times i cannot differentiate between Eon or Elantra Everything looks same.

Jokes apart, Hyundai has really taken the back seat when So many new auto makers have started offering new products and even home grown M&M might soon overtake them into No.2 spot.

They surely have alot of models, but somehow reluctant with our market
Old 30th March 2013, 21:12   #13
BHPian

That camoed SUV is probably Santa fe Sport.
Image from netcarshow.com
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai India confirms compact-SUV and MUV plans. EDIT: expected 2014 & 2015-hyundaisanta_fe_sport_2013_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg  

Old 30th March 2013, 21:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
...They surely have alot of models, but somehow reluctant with our market
Except for Santro, which is the car which is NOT bringing them numbers or reluctant to the market? The market share will ONLY go up once they join the MPV / Compact SUV race! I see Hyundai garnering more numbers and inching closer to Maruti and NOT losing out to Mahindra, any time soon.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th March 2013 at 21:17.
Old 30th March 2013, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Except for Santro, which is the car which is NOT bringing them numbers or reluctant to the market? The market share will ONLY go up once they join the MPV / Compact SUV race! I see Hyundai garnering more numbers and inching closer to Maruti and NOT losing out to Mahindra, any time soon.
No offense, but Hyundai has been No 2 since pretty long time now. They should have already launched
1. A sub 4m sedan to rival Dzire and next Amaze(Just like Verna which is doing so well)
2. A Compact SUV(Duster and Ecosport almost there)
3. A People mover(Innova is enjoying good sales alone out there)
4. A 7 seater mini MUV like Ertiga/Enjoy(when Chevy could do, why not hyundai?)

If Renault takes few years to consolidate their product lineup before bringing in likes of Lodgy it is obvious since they are new to market.

But hyundai is here since SRK was a college hero !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks