Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 15:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Spy pics: Quanto 4x4 Under test

Spy pics of the Mahindras Quanto 4x4.

Seems M&M plans to take on the upcoming Duster 4x4 which was also seen testing recently.

This test vehicle was spotted around the Pune bypass road.

Spy pics: Quanto 4x4 Under test-mahindraquanto4x46.jpg

Front wheel hubs (pic below) which read a pronounced ‘4WD‘ (4 wheel Drive).

Spy pics: Quanto 4x4 Under test-mahindraquanto4x47.jpg

^ Also note : Good to see the 4x4 Quanto wearing A/T Tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T) ,
where as the regular Quantos are running around on Normal Bridgestone rubber

Another thing to note is was that this Quanto appeared to be a 5-seater and was devoid of the rearmost jump seats. Hence, there is no foot step at the back to climb up.

There is a possibility of this Quanto carrying the bigger 4 cylinder motor from the Xylo as well.

Source: http://motorbash.com/mb-xclusive-4x4...sting-in-pune/

Last edited by karan561 : 29th March 2013 at 15:33.
karan561 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 11:58   #2
BHPian

SCOOP! Mahindra Quanto 4×4 spotted

Mahindra's 4x4 Quanto has been spotted testing in Pune by motorbash.com. It was a 5-seater version with no jump seats at the back. While there aren't any giveaway badges on the body of the vehicle, the eagle-eyed photographer caught the '4WD' inscription on the front wheel hubs. These auto-locking hubs indicate a Borg Warner part-time 4x4 with shift-on-the-fly controls.

The Quanto 4x4 is rumoured to be running a 2.2L mHawk diesel under its hood, as opposed to the Quanto 4x2's 3-cylinder 1.5L motor. We can safely assume about 150+ kilos in added weight. With a larger engine, the 4x4 variant will lose out on sub-4 meter excise savings which were the primary reason behind the Quanto's existence!

A BHPian had spotted the Xylo 4x4 being tested earlier (related thread), although it was never launched in the market. If & when the Quanto 4x4 debuts, the primary focus will be on export markets. Mahindra has plans to export the Quanto to Europe & South America.

Spy pics: Quanto 4x4 Under test-mahindraquanto4x46.jpg

Spy pics: Quanto 4x4 Under test-mahindraquanto4x47.jpg

Mahindra's compact SUV has clocked respectable numbers and has outsold its bigger sibling, the Xylo. Just over 8,000 units were sold between December 2012 and February 2013.

Link to our Mahindra Quanto Review

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2013 at 13:51.
Redline6800 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 19:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spy pics: Quanto 4x4 Under test

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...age-4-a-4.html

There was a SCOOP on Xylo 4X4 with the SAME hub cap stating 4WD. I think this has been a scrapped project.

I hope they do not Scrap the Quanto 4X4 also.

The trend has been that Mahindra MUVs + 4X4 have not gelled together.

I really wish a 4X4 quanto is launched to take on the duster, but trend shows this will NOT launch
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 23:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the saying that every successfull car maker produces at least one dud car is true, then Quanto is one such car from Mahindra's stable. After making super successfull and good looking SUVs like Scorpio and XUV, Mahindra has given us this bland looking car. No matter how hard I try, I do not find one angle from where this car looks good. Proportions are all wrong. It looks like a raised Wagon R. No wonder I do not see any on road in my town. You will have to be a big Mahindra fan to like it. After Duster's launch and impending Ecosport's launch, I do not know in what territory Quanto will fall.
Old 31st March 2013, 00:28   #5
BHPian

So let me get this right..

A Quanto 4x4.. But Why ??
I cannot figure out which is the targeted audience here.

Is it for the hard core Off-road enthusiasts ?? But wont they go and buy a Thar ?? Or if they want a bit more comfort then why not the Scorpio Lx 4x4??

Or is it for the casual offroader .. But if this is the question then why a Quanto? As the targeted customer is a casual off-road enthusiast, he would want a vehicle that can go off the road and at the same time behave rather well on the road. This is where the Quanto falls back as it is known to be a vehicle which rolls more than the titanic .

So in the end I ask again, who is the targeted audience??
This car beats me .

Last edited by Enigmatic : 31st March 2013 at 00:32.
Enigmatic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 01:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

This car will appeal in the hills, especially where it gets very slippery during rains and compact dimensions are a boon.
Old 31st March 2013, 08:10   #7
BHPian

Would also appeal to people with limited budget and who wanted a 4X4 in their kitty but was pulled back by the "jeep image" of the thar and boleros. " My car is a 4x4. I can go off the road if required" That feeling gives peace of mind to many.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 08:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If the saying that every successfull car maker produces at least one dud car is true, then Quanto is one such car from Mahindra's stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This car will appeal in the hills, especially where it gets very slippery during rains and compact dimensions are a boon.
Give this 4x4 a more contemporary & Modern look, and see how it can sweep away the Ecosport or the Duster 4x4. Mahindra has an established network - that's a huge asset. Now they only need to move upwards. Quite unlike Ford / Renault / Nissan, who have the product, but not the foundation to make the model a success. While Ford has a better network, it is actually the product itself that is holding / will hold up (In place) Renault & Nissan.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if there IS a 4x4 version, I dont think Mahindra would be targeting Indian audience with it.

This should probably be for export purposes, as IMO, the 4x4 would be JUST for an assistance in slippery ice and stuff.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Even if there IS a 4x4 version, I dont think Mahindra would be targeting Indian audience with it.

This should probably be for export purposes, as IMO, the 4x4 would be JUST for an assistance in slippery ice and stuff.
I agree

4x4 doesnt always mean off road ability.

This product may be on test for the Brazilian, African markets.

A report from Mahindras unofficial news site believes;

Quote:
The Quanto 4×4 will not fit into the excise duty category by the Government of India regulation who adopt stringent policies on cars structured below 4 meters in length. The Quanto will deliver not only the pioneering 4×4 function, but has also been captured with the 2.2 liter mHawk turbo diesel engine with amazing efficiencies of 120 bhp at 280Nm. This 2.2 liter turbo diesel engine could strengthen the weight of the Quanto. The Quanto may have certain drawbacks with the extra weight of 2.2 liter mHawk motor and 4 wheel drive function, and for a sub-4 meter length, the car is already on the heftier category which would make this car difficult to drive around and the 2.2 liter mHawk turbo engine deliver lower fuel capacities than the 1.4 liter twin turbo diesel engine. The other key area to notice is the small car with a bigger engine could increase the cost of the car to over 70,000.

With these downsides it would not be practical to introduce the 2.2 liter 4×4 Quanto with its higher price and larger engine. To combat the disadvantages, the sensible approach could be to export the car to international markets.The Mahindra Quanto 4×4 is tailored with different methods to create a small van like impact. The car is being built less than 4 meters with a dynamic 2.2 liter engine into a compact car which is a five seater. This system could cause certain difficulties in terms of driveability and driveability and drive quality.
^ Source : http://www.mahindracarsindia.com/201...t-testing.html

Last edited by karan561 : 31st March 2013 at 12:54.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 14:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Even if the Quanto 4 X 4 is made for export markets still with my understanding of mechanics I feel that Quanto is not a vehicle for 4X4 kind of off-roading. The tall design with comparatively tiny wheels seems unstable for any kind of off-roading .
I doubt the feasibility of launching it in Brazil given the need for gasohol engines, Africa makes more sense
Old 31st March 2013, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Give this 4x4 a more contemporary & Modern look, and see how it can sweep away the Ecosport or the Duster 4x4. Mahindra has an established network .
Yes, if it had the looks of Duster or ES, then it would have probably swept them away. But it just does not have the looks. I feel it is selling largely because of Mahindra badge and not because of any merits of its own. If it had come from the house of Tatas, with these looks, it would have not sold even 10 cars a month ( looking at the dismal performance of Tata cars ). This car is based on Xylo. Again, not a car known for its looks. Instead of making a mini-Xylo, why did they not think of making a mini-Scorpio or mini-XUV? Those two in mini avatar would have give Duster and ES sleepless nights.

In any case what kinda serious off-roading can be expected from such tiny 3-cylinder engines, if it is not a poser 4x4.
Old 1st April 2013, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

M&M were also testing the 4X4 Xylo in the past, but, they have not come up with any such vehicle in India. I believe the company is testing the drivetrain 1.5L 3-Cylinder Diesel for compatibility with 4WD system on future products like the Thar & the upcoming small SUV from the company IMO.
Old 1st April 2013, 15:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

I guess the 4X4 variants of the MUVs are aimed at the export market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
...Good to see the 4x4 Quanto wearing A/T Tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T) ,
where as the regular Quantos are running around on Normal Bridgestone rubber......
Nothing surprising there, since the 2WD Xylo has A/T tyres as well (something to do with CMVR, we were told).
Old 1st April 2013, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Seems M&M plans to take on the upcoming Duster 4x4 which was also seen testing recently.
According to cost & power, M&M has lunched quanto to compete with swift diesel segment. Duster is quite different.

Quote:
Another thing to note is was that this Quanto appeared to be a 5-seater and was devoid of the rearmost jump seats. Hence, there is no foot step at the back to climb up.
Yes.If this is 4x4 it must be 5 seater. Otherwise rear seat passenger will need to wear helmet (when 4x4 is in action).

Quote:
There is a possibility of this Quanto carrying the bigger 4 cylinder motor from the Xylo as well.
Then why not xylo itself? Although engine bay is similar xylo but hard 4x4 using may injuries to Quanto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
A Quanto 4x4.. But Why ??
I cannot figure out which is the targeted audience here.

Is it for the hard core Off-road enthusiasts ?? But wont they go and buy a Thar ?? Or if they want a bit more comfort then why not the Scorpio Lx 4x4??

Or is it for the casual offroader .. But if this is the question then why a Quanto? As the targeted customer is a casual off-road enthusiast, he would want a vehicle that can go off the road and at the same time behave rather well on the road. This is where the Quanto falls back as it is known to be a vehicle which rolls more than the titanic .

So in the end I ask again, who is the targeted audience??
This car beats me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Would also appeal to people with limited budget and who wanted a 4X4 in their kitty but was pulled back by the "jeep image" of the thar and boleros. " My car is a 4x4. I can go off the road if required" That feeling gives peace of mind to many.
Not many only a few.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks