Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 19:37   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post

I don't see how you can say that, would you care to further elaborate?

As I see it,

1. Hyundai is known for overloading their cars with features that's one of their main selling points.
2. When I bought civic a year ago it's features we're in line with most of its competitors in the segment and still is and it's cost though increased was still quite less than most of its competitors at 13.15L on road for the S variant.
Add to that a brilliant engine, which was economical too (Current FE has never gone below 11, which is pretty good in my books), Honda Warranty, Honda Assure, and Honda Road Side assistance, I never understood why it never sold well in the end.
I am not talking about the car and its capabilities. Surely it is one brilliant car.

When I talk about features and value:
- Equivalent corolla altis is significantly cheaper and like Honda offers good image and ownership experience. Cruze with its diesel engine advantage was priced almost at par when launched. It too offered better gadgets.
- There is hardly much equipment difference between City and Civic. Let alone cars from Hyundai. When cars from lower segment start offering features like ACC,auto folding mirrors, bluetooth connectivity, rear cameras etc people tend to expect cars in range where Civic belongs to should have all those things and even more.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda removes Jazz and Civic from its website

I wonder whether this move could improve resale value of the Jazz. A friend of mine has one in pristine condition and recently has got a job offer in Mumbai. Have suggested to him to sell the car in Chennai rather than take it to Mumbai and sell maybe 2yrs later at a low resale value which is typical of Mumbai/Delhi markets
Old 5th April 2013, 12:09   #33
BHPian

I really liked the Jazz as a car, was rather unfortunate that we didn't see more of those on the road. Does anyone have any clue as to when we're likely to see the replacement of the Civic in India?

Also, it seems to me that this would be the ideal time to buy even a used Civic. My search is currently on for an OHC VTEC or a pre-owned Civic.

My assumption was that people will be more likely to sell their Civic now for fear of ownership issues, but in truth, support from Honda isn't likely to diminish over the next 5-7 years, at least. Right?
Old 5th April 2013, 16:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone think this will boost the resale value of the Jazz? Not that I am worried as I have committed to use it for min 5 years.
Old 6th April 2013, 23:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Don't think so, it might go down imo. But stick to it, it's a great car. I wanted to buy it but the price was roo steep at launch, so settled for the Punto.

Now, I have 2 cars, one the Civic which has been discontinued, the other the Punto, rarely any presence. I'm loving the exclusivity
Old 19th April 2013, 17:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Honda to pull the plug on Civic

Hit by falling sales Honda has decided to stop selling the Civic in India . We had already discussed on the forum about the diminishing marginal returns on the D1 segment which is adversely impacting buyer sentiments thus translating to anemic sales http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2820542
I guess that was partly blame for Honda's decision besides other factors like Civic perceived low fuel economy , low ground clearance and cannibalisation by the C2 segment which includes its sibling City.
Personally for me the Civic's digital dash was possibly the most gorgeous of any car on the roads in India and it had a sleek stance with a cool presence. so I am sad to see it being pulled out .
Link to the media report can be found here Honda pulls the plug on Civic

Last edited by souravc : 19th April 2013 at 17:32.
Old 19th April 2013, 18:23   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda to pull the plug on Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Does anyone think this will boost the resale value of the Jazz? Not that I am worried as I have committed to use it for min 5 years.
No do not expect this to boost the car price. If anything it will decrease it. Although even that should not be the case since you plan to keep the car for 5 years. By then there would be a new Jazz around. Remember that Honda has just discontinued Jazz for the time being and not abandoned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Personally for me the Civic's digital dash was possibly the most gorgeous of any car on the roads in India and it had a sleek stance with a cool presence. so I am sad to see it being pulled out .
+100. The digital dash was something so unique to the Civic and added to its character. I absolutely loved the digital dash and cockpit like dashboard. Infact I remember staring at other people's civics at signals to see there digital speedometer function.
Old 19th April 2013, 18:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda to pull the plug on Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Link to the media report can be found here Honda pulls the plug on Civic
How true! Me, too. I was floored by its digital speedo read-out, too. Around '06 when it was launched, it was beyond my budget. Now, pristine used ones ( like most petrol sedans ) are so affordable. I sometimes think of picking one, just to own one for 1/2 years. But I wish my city roads were good. Morons have built pyramid like spead-breakers. My previous Lancer with skirtings scraped every bump in town. So, no more sedans for me. Which is why I'm waiting for Ecosport. Let us see what the Ford delivers. Now, if only Ford throws in paddle-shifts to that DCT.
Old 19th April 2013, 18:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

True that. The ddigital dash is still an eye puller. And the sleek design. It's still the best petrol sedan in that segment, atleast for me.

Here's an article, paying tribute to the car:
http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/car-...mporary-pause/

The future Honda line-up: plan for the next 3 years

Brio -petrol only

Amaze - petrol and diesel

New Jazz - petrol and diesel (launch 2014)

New City - petrol and diesel (launch late 2014)

Brio MUV - petrol and diesel (launch 2014)

Jazz SUV - petrol and diesel

CR-V - petrol

Accord - petrol

and according to reports, Jazz based Suv priced between 11-15lpa to be replacement for civic. Pity.
Old 19th April 2013, 19:16   #40
BHPian

Here is something interesting. While Jazz & Civic do not feature in the Honda India official website, the duo are still present on the Whitefield Honda web site. Does this mean they are still receiving new units or they have old stock left (think this makes more sense). Magnum Honda, another dealer does not have Jazz & Civic listed on their website.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda removes Jazz and Civic from its website-civic-still-sold.png  

Old 19th April 2013, 19:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Is it only the lack of a diesel heart that killed the civic? Honda manages to sell decent numbers of the City with just a petrol option. Moving up a segment one would think that higher running costs should not worry the car owner. But in India it seems a 'Diesel engine' is perceived as a luxury commodity. Something the Mercs and BMW have . When I bought the Laura with a petrol engine, people were like "You paid so much for a petrol car!"
I really doubt that, if that's the case all manufacturers shoulve stopped manufacturing their petrol based D1 models.
And based on your comments it looks like Petrol is a luxury commodity, not diesel. . People keep asking me why I hadn't bought a diesel car but then since it's the Honda City I've bought they don't frown upon it too much.
Old 19th April 2013, 22:22   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer
I really doubt that, if that's the case all manufacturers shoulve stopped manufacturing their petrol based D1 models.
How many petrol D1 sedans are actually selling well?

Altis sales have dipped recently. Of that reduced number about half the cars are diesel. I bet if Toyota equipped it with a proper 2L engine, nobody would touch the petrol Altis. The Elantra's petrol - diesel split is unknown, but its anybody's guess that the diesel would dominate. The Jetta TSI sells in very small numbers, the Laura TSI is almost dead. Other manufacturers have not even bothered with the petrol option.
Old 19th April 2013, 23:19   #43
BHPian

Actually, I can still see the Civic on the Honda India site (when you click on the "Prices" link:

LINK

And it shows the price as well. Does this mean that they selling it till stocks are exhausted?

Honda removes Jazz and Civic from its website-screenshot-20130419-231728.png
Old 20th April 2013, 01:02   #44
vcx
BHPian

I for sure know one can still get Civic if interested , dealers can work out good offers for the ones in stock.

No doubt it's the best looking car miles ahead even compared to the current D segment by looks, quality, space, styling and butter smooth rev free engine like gem.
Old 20th April 2013, 10:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Couple of clarifications as these two things keep repeating in this thread.

1. Regarding 'huge discounts' on the dealer held Civic's. This is highly unlikely to happen except for some local cases. Reason being, Honda never had pile up of assembled Civic's clogging their yards. The kits they might have, can be consumed in as their supporting inventory for the service and spare department. That said, one could get pre worshipped Civic's with some really good deals, from owners who get into the herd mentality and try to sell off their cars given the present day conditions.

2. Comparison of City and Civic by saying that City offers 70-80 % of Civic etc. To put it very lightly, these two cars are having totally different driving dynamics. No, not on paper, but on road. Just drive them through and its very easy to gauge the huge difference in the way both handle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks