Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 14:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE 4X4 launched? EDIT : Nope

Perhaps this will encourage Tata to offer the LX 4x4 with ABS. If Tata prices it for 1L more than the LX 4x2, it will hit the showrooms at a price of 10.99L odd.
currently, if you want to buy Safari 4x4, you need to head to 14L+ territory.

Speaking of ride quality, I have ridden has passenger in both Scorpio 4x4 and 4x2, and both were very similar as far as ride quality is concerned.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 15:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I do not think so, going by the feedback from 4wd owners, 4wd has equally good ride quality, some of them even claim it to be better than coil sprung 2wd.
The handling is better than the 2WD Scorpio as the suspension is more rigid. However, the vehicle rocks side to side pretty violently on bad roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I hope you are not confusing torsion bar for leaf springs, torsion bar is not a bad setup for SUVs.
Torsion bar was the preferred method for IFS SUVs designed in the 90s and as you said, it is not a bad thing as Pajero 2.8, Land Cruiser 100 series etc are able to offer a fantastic ride with Torsion bars. However, with Scorpio this is not the case, maybe due to lack of Engineering skills to design a suspension with sufficient Travel. I think it is problem with Scorpio design rather than Torsion Bar per se.

I switched from a Scorpio 4x4 with Torsion Bar front and 5 link coil at rear to a Landcruiser 100 with similar set up and you cannot even compare how different the ride is. I have also travelled extensively in a Pajero 2.8 with the same suspension set up and it too was very comfortable. This leads me to belive that it is an issue with the Scorpio design.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 15:07   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Perhaps this will encourage Tata to offer the LX 4x4 with ABS. If Tata prices it for 1L more than the LX 4x2, it will hit the showrooms at a price of 10.99L odd.
currently, if you want to buy Safari 4x4, you need to head to 14L+ territory.

Speaking of ride quality, I have ridden has passenger in both Scorpio 4x4 and 4x2, and both were very similar as far as ride quality is concerned.
If TATA does with Storm LX 4wd, can be a hit

Last edited by Rajith : 8th April 2013 at 15:09.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy. Mahindra will not let TML breathe!

As ACM mentioned earlier, this new version ensures that Mahindra now offers an urban customer a 4x4 capable vehicle right from 8-odd lakhs(Thar) to 17-18-odd lakhs(XUV).

If they(TML) don't offer a competing Storme in the lower segments where Scorpio LX and SLE are present, all the 4x4 promotion might just backfire! With people getting interested in a 4wd version and the lack of options in TML's lineup, they may eventually buy something from M&M instead.

Also, I hope Mahindra take this a step ahead (or lower actually) and offer a nice kitted up Bolero 4x4 too.
Old 8th April 2013, 18:54   #20
BHPian

I'm not an expert at the 4x4 technical part.
But i have one question to the experts.

Why doesn't Mahindra and Tata sell their SUVs with tension-free manual 4x4 gear shifters instead of the electronic switch? Even after customers facing so many problems with it?
I mean higher end SUVs like the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport is still with manual shifter. Why not Mahindra and Tata?
sharc_biker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 20:05   #21
BHPian

I don't understand Mahindra's strategy. Is it that they are trying to make Scorpio a real Suv and safeguard against cannibalisation by future XUV varaints?
The problem will then become cannibalisation of their own top end 4x4 range which has highest margins and hence reduce profits in the Scorpio line of vehicles.
If they are trying to build a brand then it will be great to see how long can they sustain this offering
Old 9th April 2013, 10:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
I'm not an expert at the 4x4 technical part.
But i have one question to the experts.

Why doesn't Mahindra and Tata sell their SUVs with tension-free manual 4x4 gear shifters instead of the electronic switch? Even after customers facing so many problems with it?
I mean higher end SUVs like the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport is still with manual shifter. Why not Mahindra and Tata?
Pajeros and Fortuners dont come for 10L, do they ?
Old 9th April 2013, 10:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

First thing, they need to reduce ridiculous height of the Scorpio. Increase the legroom in the center seating area and provide better suspension, all this for the lesser mortals who are happy without the 4x4.

Agreed that the 4x4 is as added option and a welcome move, but it's seldom that most of us would take this for hard core offroading.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 10:57   #24
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Pajeros and Fortuners dont come for 10L, do they ?
No reason why a 10L SUV can't have a manual 4x4. The Thar already has it.
I honestly wonder if putting "ESOF" in the marketing brochure is the only reason why they don't have the manual lever. Maybe industry experts like Mr Behram may have an answer to why stick v/s switch!

The case for a LX Storme 4wd couldn't be stronger. Totally agree with Dry Ice's view about TML advertising budget eventually resulting in Scorpio Sales

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 14:20   #25
BHPian

The SLE 4 wheel drive is a Red Herring

Just spoke to 2 dealers in Bangalore (India Garage & Sireesh Auto) and they said that there is no SLE 4 swheel drive on sale at present. 4 wheel drive is available only on the base LX and top line VLX models only.

The India Garage person said that they have sent mails to the websites that have posted the incorrect info.

The dealers agreed though that such a variant would make plenty of sense! Pricelist of Scorpio variants on sale in Bangalore as of 6th April.

Mahindra Scorpio SLE 4X4 launched? EDIT : Nope-scorpio_pricelist_blr.jpg
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:58   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
The India Garage person said that they have sent mails to the websites that have posted the incorrect info.
Have they even asked M&M the reason for posting the wrong info on their official website?

There are screen shots taken by people proving this.

I somehow feel it was M&M's plan to launch it but going by the current situation it seems like it has been shelved, for now.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:35   #27
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Have they even asked M&M the reason for posting the wrong info on their official website?

There are screen shots taken by people proving this.
Checked the website now and there aren't signs of those 4WD specifications for SLE any more

Last edited by M35 : 9th April 2013 at 17:40.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:38   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Checked the website now and they are signs of those 4WD specifications for SLE any more
Which is what got me thinking. Looks like the plan has been shelved for now.
Old 9th April 2013, 19:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The handling is better than the 2WD Scorpio as the suspension is more rigid. However, the vehicle rocks side to side pretty violently on bad roads.
How is the Scorpio 4x4 on city roads? Uncomfortable for the family?

Thanks.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
4X4 Scorpio - front suspension has a torsion bar (like THAR CRDe) and 4x2 Scorpio front suspension has a coil spring !!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Then you can you can imagine the ride quality of Scorpio 4wd set up which runs with a Torsion bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Torsion bar was the preferred method for IFS SUVs designed in the 90s and as you said, it is not a bad thing as Pajero 2.8, Land Cruiser 100 series etc are able to offer a fantastic ride with Torsion bars. However, with Scorpio this is not the case, maybe due to lack of Engineering skills to design a suspension with sufficient Travel. I think it is problem with Scorpio design rather than Torsion Bar per se.

I switched from a Scorpio 4x4 with Torsion Bar front and 5 link coil at rear to a Landcruiser 100 with similar set up and you cannot even compare how different the ride is. I have also travelled extensively in a Pajero 2.8 with the same suspension set up and it too was very comfortable. This leads me to belive that it is an issue with the Scorpio design.
Agree totally with 4X4Addicts viewpoint.
A coil spring is essentially a wound up torsion bar.
The reason for 4X4s with IFS having torsion bars is one of packaging. In a double wishbone setup, the traditional packaging of spring on lower wishbone fouls the driveshaft. A torsion bar setup provides a neat, elegant solution. But like all engineering, has to be done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Having a 4X4 does not always mean,that the user will go and attend Hardcore OTR's with Jeeps and Gypsies.For someone who is into touring up north in Himalayas,a 4WD option is always a good to have feature in case of emergencies like muck and snow.I for one would sacrifice a bit of comfort for a more capable vehicle,and yes majority of the scorpio's i see in Himachal are 4WD.
My philosophy too. I see 4x4 as insurance. And hope I don't come across a situation where I have to use it.

In fact I fail to see the raison d'etre for the 2WD SUV. Instead get a sedan, or get a MUV!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks