Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 12:19   #16
BHPian

Re: VW launches limited-edition Vento 'Style'!

Special editions do not make sense unless they make it a compelling buy. For example, rather than offering chrome grill, dual seat cover, blah blah blah, add value by say offering airbags on Trendline TDI.

For a customer who's in the market for diesel mill in C2 category, the trendline TDI with airbags slots it very well for someone with a budget of say 10 lakhs.

Even if, such value added for a limited time not only would they ensure sales but could push sales of base variant, which under normal circumstances remain dull.
Old 17th April 2013, 12:27   #17
BHPian

As far as pointless things go, we have another from VW. It makes one wonder though, maybe these Limited Edition Nonsense works. I mean Maruti does it, Honda does it, Toyota does it and well even VW is doing it. If it didn't work wont all of them stop this practise.

Something tells me there are people out there who are easily impressed with these things. I mean a badge saying Style or Regal or such diminutive words will not mean anything to most people but maybe there are folks out there who say, oh I just bought the Vento Style or the Dzire Regal.

I would be happy if they can just translate these savings as a discount to the end user as that is the thing most people would look for. I will happily take a discount of 15,000 compared to Chrome crap worth 30,000. Something to think about VW.
Old 17th April 2013, 12:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
As far as pointless things go, we have another from VW. It makes one wonder though, maybe these Limited Edition Nonsense works. I mean Maruti does it, Honda does it, Toyota does it and well even VW is doing it. If it didn't work wont all of them stop this practise.

Something tells me there are people out there who are easily impressed with these things. I mean a badge saying Style or Regal or such diminutive words will not mean anything to most people but maybe there are folks out there who say, oh I just bought the Vento Style or the Dzire Regal.
It's more to create a buzz.

VW has been selling the vento for a long time. If they keep putting the same ads of the vento in the paper, fb page, etc, the buzz will die. If i see the same vento ad in the paper day in and day out, i'll automatically skip going through it.
Social media is also a big thing with companies putting in bigggggg money to garner likes and interests in their fb pages.

Thus, they need different strategies. Change the product a bit here and there and create the buzz.

If you see any FB fanpage, there are two parts. X number of people like this and Y number of people talking about this. Usually companies try to have atleast 4-7% of the likes talking about it to be considered good in marketing circles.
How do you do that? By something new everytime. Else why would someone visit your page?

See the likes and shares on the Style post on the VW facebook page:

Name:  Screen Shot 20130417 at 12.38.31 PM.png
Views: 2289
Size:  116.7 KB

And it works elsewhere also: we have a thread now discussing vento "style".

Game. Set. Match to VW marketing.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:50   #19
BHPian

Also, did anyone notice the headlights in the print ad? They miss the black inner coating?

Is this some kind of old components put together and re-badged as style??
Old 17th April 2013, 14:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

VW has been selling the vento for a long time. If they keep putting the same ads of the vento in the paper, fb page, etc, the buzz will die. If i see the same vento ad in the paper day in and day out, i'll automatically skip going through it.

And it works elsewhere also: we have a thread now discussing vento "style".

Game. Set. Match to VW marketing.
Even though what you said is valid, how much of an increase in sales does such an exercise actually yield?

When the time comes to plonk your hard earned money, such gimmicks seldom end up being the deciding factor IMO. The monthly sales figures post such release should be an indicator enough.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 14:58   #21
BHPian

NEWS:

The VW Vento Style limited edition is available at 815792 INR for Petrol and 931532 INR for Diesel. Since the Highline already comes with above mentioned features (Alloys, Chrome grill, etc), this Style edition is most probably an alternative to the Trendline and Comfortline models, which look too basic in front of Highline variant.

BTW The prices of the normal Vento trendline is:
Petrol: 729168
Diesel: 851689

Prices for normal Vento Comfortline is:
Petrol: 793728
Diesel: 902028

(Average ex-showroom prices from Carwale.com)

At a price point in between CL and HL Vento, Style is sure to attract buyers looking for the Vento with more features at a price below the HL variant, i.e. a variant between CL and HL offering most features of the HL at a better price.

Here is the VW Official link to the Vento Style (Though it does not show much details):
http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/model...nto-style.html

Last edited by Loud : 17th April 2013 at 15:01.
Loud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 22:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
NEWS:

The VW Vento Style limited edition is available at 931532 INR for Diesel.

Comfortline
Diesel: 902028

(Average ex-showroom prices from Carwale.com)
Alloy wheels (+ other stuff) for about 30,000/- extra over CF model? CF comes with steel wheels right. Aren't the VW Alloys costing quite high (15-20k each?)? what am i missing ?
Old 18th April 2013, 08:54   #23
BHPian

Be it Hyundai or MSIL or now VW , all of them are dumping normal cars with stickers , logos, a lil chrome here and there on us. I wonder when will we ever get actual limited edition with a replacement performance oriented ecu, black alloys, different body colors, truly themed interiors, projectors, tweaked exhaust noise, sticker free cars. Suzuki swift sport, the one sold in UK , is quite decent and looks evil !
Old 18th April 2013, 10:20   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This does not seem to be as well thought out as it should be. A SE in times like this needs to also come with a better price point. They may do this as a stop gap arrangement to counter present market situation. But just adding chrome and logos will not get them anywhere. Earlier offers from VW included major improvement in the Infotainment section, this one has nothing substantial by way of technology, also nothing like special Spoilers, skirtings etc. to justify the Style aspect.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Also, did anyone notice the headlights in the print ad? They miss the black inner coating?

Is this some kind of old components put together and re-badged as style??
I think the Polo and Vento Trendline models still come with these silver headlights.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I think the Polo and Vento Trendline models still come with these silver headlights.
Yes, you are right, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Alloy wheels (+ other stuff) for about 30,000/- extra over CF model? CF comes with steel wheels right. Aren't the VW Alloys costing quite high (15-20k each?)? what am i missing ?
The price difference, for instance, in the Vento petrol Comfortline (Rs. 815000) and Vento style petrol (Rs.793000) is around 20k, right?
Now, difference between Trendline petrol (Rs.730000) and Style is around 85k (TL is cheaper ofcourse). Now, add VW alloys (I also know they are around 15-20k) 15kX4= 60k+ 20k (for Seat covers and other chrome bits)= 80k.
Thus, the Vento Style is complete VFM and Valuable (being a Limited Edition).
When compared to CL, adding things to make a car look like Style edition would cost a minimum 50k. But, VW offers the same (an intermediate form between CL and HL) on the Style at a difference of 20k.
Since a buyer who wants alloys+chrome thingy, etc. from VW would have to shell thousands of money for the HL which normally comes equipped with the same. Instead, VW launched a variant between the Two (For Eg. : Hyundai has launched Magna Option which comes with the unique features of the Sportz at a better price, i.e. is in between Magna and Sportz) for attracting buyers to the Limited Edition.
I now also don't know why VW has not given smoked Headlamps, New alloys, an Elegant LIP SPOILER, etc. Maybe that's the reason you are getting such a minimal price difference.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 16:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Yes, you are right, mate.

The price difference, for instance, in the Vento petrol Comfortline (Rs. 815000) and Vento style petrol (Rs.793000) is around 20k, right?
Now, difference between Trendline petrol (Rs.730000) and Style is around 85k (TL is cheaper ofcourse). Now, add VW alloys (I also know they are around 15-20k) 15kX4= 60k+ 20k (for Seat covers and other chrome bits)= 80k.
Thus, the Vento Style is complete VFM and Valuable (being a Limited Edition).
When compared to CL, adding things to make a car look like Style edition would cost a minimum 50k. But, VW offers the same (an intermediate form between CL and HL) on the Style at a difference of 20k.
Yeah but if the buyer chooses to go the aftermarket route then all of these accessories can be bought at a much cheaper cost.
Eg you can get really good alloys for 30k for the whole set. Here you save about 30k if VW alloys cost 60k for the set. Seat covers cost around 10k and those chrome bits cost 2-5k.

I think VW should have added stuff like ABS EBD, black headlights, and maybe some different design alloys to make it a proper special edition.
Here it feels that they just want to get rid of the old alloys stock by launching such special variants.
StrangeWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 16:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Yeah but if the buyer chooses to go the aftermarket route then all of these accessories can be bought at a much cheaper cost.
Eg you can get really good alloys for 30k for the whole set. Here you save about 30k if VW alloys cost 60k for the set. Seat covers cost around 10k and those chrome bits cost 2-5k.

I think VW should have added stuff like ABS EBD, black headlights, and maybe some different design alloys to make it a proper special edition.
Here it feels that they just want to get rid of the old alloys stock by launching such special variants.
Yes, you are also right! I agree with the statement above in bold.
I feel the Comfortline is the best buy from the lot. These LEs are just to give a boost to the car sales, attracting buyers to get alloys, chrome, etc. who are spending on a CL. For 30k difference between the CL and Style, it seems pretty fair.
A suggestion to VW:
What about launching a SE Vento Sport?
The car can be launched 20k below the HL variant and must be available in only white. Features should be Alloys in Grey/ Matte finish (6 spoke/ 8 spoke/ whatever), Black headlamps, a spoiler (body colour), some badges of sport, interior theme of black and red including normal seat covers in black, OEM HU. No chrome bits, nothing. I think that would fetch better than the Style.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Very correctly put. This is exactly why they create Limited editions with small cosmetic changes here and there.

But charging a hefty premium for the limited edition is a different matter.

Just like the recent Hyundai i10 special edition. Saw the ad- special edition, more features etc, got my attention otherwise which I wouldn't even have given a second glance, read it thoroughly.. and decided I would not buy it just for the sheer iTech body graphics and red interiors!! But that is my personal choice. Someone else might take a fancy or two!!
Old 19th April 2013, 12:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Vento doesn't have any safety features except on the top model. The Comfortline with ABS would have made sense, this sorry excuse of a variant can be done far better with after market accessories.

That said, safety features hardly sell in India, the sales folks have convinced a good number that ABS is needed only at "high" speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks