Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 11:52   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press

Competition from online media, a tough economy and declining circulation levels have led to the sale of BSMotoring Car Magazine to the Delhi Press.

BSMotoring was part of the Business Standard Group for nearly 2 decades. At one time, it was the default choice for petrol-heads looking for writings by true enthusiasts. Today, Delhi Press announces the acquisition of the BSMotoring magazine. Rumour mills insist that the deal size is in the region of Rs. 10 crore. EDIT: it was actually less than 50 lakhs!

The car magazine will now move its headquarters from Mumbai to Delhi. Ex-Editor Srinivas Krishnan, who'd resigned from BSMotoring earlier this year, has joined Porsche India as Head of Communications. Pablo Chatterji will be the magazine's new Managing Editor.

The internet has made things incredibly difficult for print media. It's a global trend with even biggies like Newsweek Magazine ceasing print circulation.

BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press-bsmotoring.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2015 at 15:46. Reason: Correcting sale figure
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 11:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press

I feel sad for this mag. This is one magazine which had a "soul". It was not about glitzy pictures, posters and advertorials, but about real love of the Automobile.
I hope, in its new Avatar it can find its lost roots.
I have an attic full of this magazine, and a lot of others. Even now, I sometimes take out many year old issues, and glance through.
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:12   #3
BHPian

I am astonished at the "Deal size". Isn't this too less? Or the circulation has dropped so much that the price is right?
Old 18th April 2013, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Sad news.

There is a popular forum with same name BSMotoring (AFAIK associated with BSM mag) where many tourers right their travelogues and other travel related stuffs etc, what would be future of that?
Old 18th April 2013, 12:27   #5
BANNED

Really saddened by this news! I remember picking up my editions every time before a long Kolkata to X journey - and then marvel on the cars published. Distinctly remember the first Sonata (ala Jaguar) in Gold featured on cover of the magazine; then shrieking away to glory when i saw one on my trip to Singapore. (Dad asked how did i know - i quietly remembered that the picture of a Gold Sonata i saw on the mag).

As rightly pointed out by Tsk1979, this was a magazine with a 'soul'. Guess it has been transfused into each and every BHPian here; i am sure each and everyone of us has had a look at the last few pages of the magazine where they had the all-too-important 'Price' table. I must submit that ever since relocating out of India, haven't had a chance to get my hands on to one - but would love to dearly have the last edition in my study.

Last edited by methecupid : 18th April 2013 at 12:29.
methecupid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
There is a popular forum with same name BSMotoring where many tourers right their travelogues and other travel related stuffs etc,
Are you thinking of BCMTouring?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Are you thinking of BCMTouring?
Oh my bad, thanks for correcting.
I visited that forum for very few times and I do not remember when I last visited there, hence I ended up mixing the name of that forum with BSM
Old 18th April 2013, 12:48   #8
BHPian

I subscribe to the Business Standard, which is definitely the best business newspaper if one is looking for some analysis. A magazine style BS Motoring supplement comes with it every month, and that has been my auto mag fix for the last couple of years. But I remember train journeys a decade back when I used to pick up all the auto magazines at the railway counters, and invariably BS Motoring, which was not the thickest nor did it have the most number of posters ('value for money' - Overdrive was the thickest and Autocar India the posters), was the one which got re-read again.

One good news is Pablo is gonna be the editor. I remember reading about him joining as an intern in those days. He used to given the bike reviews when the editors used to have the luxury long term car reviews. Good luck man, you can say that we have been your colleagues through your career.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At one time, it was the default choice for petrol-heads looking for writings by true enthusiasts.

Ex-Editor Srinivas Krishnan, who'd resigned from BSMotoring earlier this year, has joined Porsche India as Head of Communications. Pablo Chatterji will be the magazine's new Managing Editor.

True - it was probably the only car magazine run by true enthusiasts unlike the others which blatantly carried favourable reviews of a car model with the same car model having a big ad right next to that review !

So many people joining Porsche recently from the car mag world ? earlier saw something similar on Sirish Chandran as well

so where is Bijoy kumar now ?
Old 18th April 2013, 13:29   #10
BHPian

It's a real sad news. First it was Mr. Bijoy Kumar who left BSM for M&M Adventures, last year and earlier this year, Mr. Srinivas Krishnan left for Porsche India. And these 2 men were really passionate about what they wrote.
I really wish Mr.Pablo Chatterji will keep that spark alive. Although print media is seeing a slump in sales, ACI seems to be doing pretty well for themselves.

EDIT - @ narayan, Bijoy Kumar now heads M&M Adventure Division

Regards,
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 18th April 2013 at 13:37.
powertrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 15:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

I donated 10 years of CAR UK magazines to them, wonder where that collection has gone?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 15:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

BS Motoring used to come out with these print ads sometime back with a tagline "Do you have it in your Blood?"

BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press-bsmotoringmagazinefootsmall61729.jpg

BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press-bsmotoringmagazinehandsmall96359.jpg

BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press-bsmotoringmagazineshouldersmall51522.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 16:00   #13
BHPian

Very true, this magazine carries "soul", recalling my earlier days where I used to read Bijoy's report almost breathlessly!

@ narayanan - Sirish is now with Autocar India too as Consulting motorsport editor
Old 18th April 2013, 19:08   #14
BHPian

Sad news! as someone rightly said, this magazine had soul. I have enjoyed reading Bijoy and Srini. I remember reading Pablo Chatterji in his initial days, he was different but i'm not sure if it was something i liked. I later found that he moved to BSM.
Good luck to the team and the new owners!
Old 18th April 2013, 22:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

I feel sorry for BSM. It was a great mag with a lot of character.

And Bijoy Kumar Y. was a true petrolhead.

I had an unforgettable experience with BSM many years back. Back in 2006, during Schumi' last season with Ferrari, Bijoy wrote an article on Michael called 'INSTANT CARMA'. He is not a fan of the German and it was evident in the article. And I am a BIG Schumi fan. Coupled with the emotion that Michael was going to retire from racing, I emailed back to Bijoy contradicting his views. Back then, I was very hot headed and it was a very strong letter.

But to my surprise, I got a reply from Bijoy soon after. We exchanged some mails and what happened next was truly astonishing. Bijoy threw me a challenge.
Quote:
Write a 1200 word story on why Schumacher should continue in Formula One - for our anniversary issue
My jaw was on the floor. After collecting my breath, I came to realize that it was an opportunity not to be missed. I worked on the article for many days and sent it to Bijoy before the deadline.

And BSM published it, word by word. Was a very proud day! I still have those emails and the anniversary mag itself.

Thank You BSM, for everything! Will definitely miss the mag.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th April 2013 at 22:39. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks