Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 21:05   #1
BHPian

RTO inspection & registration for new cars at the dealership itself

A welcome move if implemented. It would be great for owners as their brand new cars would not be driven by rash drivers to the RTO for checking. Minimum 10-20 cars is also justified considering shortage of inspectors and so many dealerships.

Quote:
MUMBAI: Car dealers will not be required to bring brand new cars or two-wheelers for inspections to the RTO premises; inspections can now be done in the showroom itself, sources have said. This could be good news for car buyers as it may expedite the vehicle's delivery schedule.

"The special service will be provided for a nominal charge and will not only save the car dealer time and fuel, but will also ensure there is no over-crowding of new vehicles at the RTO," said transport commissioner V N More. The objective is to decongest RTO premises and use the open space primarily for driving tests.

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20402457.cms

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2013 at 12:58. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
Mr.Beat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 13:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: RTO inspection & registration for new cars at the dealership itself

Superb move and an absolute win-win for all parties involved

The customer doesn't have to worry about his new car being driven rashly, nor damage.

The dealer saves on fuel cost, driver salary, time and the risk of accidental damage.

The RTO can better use the limited space!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move indeed. That too, from the government! Looks like better days are ahead. Kudos to this novel initiative. Let us hope it is implemented well.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:14   #4
BHPian

So this service is chargeable! Does that means dealers will hike the RTO charges too?

In the end, the buyer has to pay more.. but yes, he gets trouble free RTO registration process.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:16   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Move for all parties - the customer, the dealer and the RTO.

Sadly the RTO officers would now also be able to take their "over and above amounts" for services (which they are duty bound to provide) offered in a safer comfy place. .
Old 5th June 2013, 14:24   #6
J.Ravi

This has been in vogue in Bangalore since many years. When I took delivery of my Linea on 8 October 2009 from Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle, Bangalore, the sales executive informed me that RTO authorities visit the dealership daily, inspect the vehicles, collect the documents, demand drafts for life time tax, etc. and furnish the registration number details the next day. The vehicles are not being sent to RTO. I mentioned this fact in my Linea's ownership thread.
  (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 14:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes this is being practiced in Bangalore atleast since 2007-2008 or may be earlier.
Old 5th June 2013, 15:08   #8
BHPian

But doesn't that involve lot of manpower requirement at the RTO side. I mean this facility would be available (guessing) for authorised dealers only. RTO reps going to each and every showroom to get the vehicle registered it's too good to believe.

Cheers
Old 5th June 2013, 15:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
But doesn't that involve lot of manpower requirement at the RTO side. I mean this facility would be available (guessing) for authorised dealers only. RTO reps going to each and every showroom to get the vehicle registered it's too good to believe.

Cheers
In practice how it works here is that dealer gets a register from RTO , Dealer staff enters all the details takes pencil mark of chassis number and on in afternoon some sahab comes and gives a nod so actually it is lesser work to do for them.
Also they fix perticular days in a week for each dealer when registration can be done for big dealers with lots of sales it is almost everyday.

RTO sends a set of numbers in advance to dealer which can be assigned. I got to choose a number from a pool of 4 over the phone from the dealer.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 16:05   #10
bhp
BHPian

This has been implemented in mumbai also since a long time now. Even my Hyundai i10 was inspected at the malad showroom of Modi Hyundai by a visiting RTO officer in August 2012.

This was informed to me by the sales team at Modi Hyundai.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just a few months ago, the dealers had complained that they had to take the cars to the RTO risking the state of the car. I have seen this demand by dealers multiple times as reported in the newspapers.

So this is news to me that it is already happening in Bengaluru Hope its not something non-official thing that is being done currently.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Good move. Though, I am thinking that now the RTO officer will also want in on the action at the dealership. "Buying a 10L car, why not give me 1k?" I know, pessimistic view. :(

Also, will we have to shake hands with the RTO officer along with the dealer guys when taking delivery? And give them gifts / sweets? j/k
Old 5th June 2013, 17:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Are there sufficient Motor vehicle inspectors to cater to all dealership across 2W & 4W across the state / city?

This is a welcome move though, but will add to the confusion. When at the RTO, dealers can start sufficiently ahead and reach the RTO in time for the inspection, which typically happends after the driving tests are over.

Now, in case of dealer to dealer visit, The inspector will account for travelling time from Dealer A to Dealer B, which may not be efficient.

This would add to bribery for prioritizing dealership A, which will result in increase in handling charges for a customer.

A Welcome Move indeed, but totally unplanned. Now there is another excuse for the dealer viz- Inspector is on leave and did not visit his dealership. In the RTO, we can be assured of another inspector, if one is on leave / tied up with other tasks

Last edited by scopriobharath : 5th June 2013 at 17:23.
Old 5th June 2013, 18:08   #14
BHPian

I think this has already been so in Pune. Surprised that this is happening so late in Mumbai.
Old 5th June 2013, 21:54   #15
BHPian

How does this work though? Considering the different companies selling cars with multiple dealerships, a decent sized city would require lot of RTO man power to provide the coverage for 'at site' inspection. Add to it the time at each dealership. Just curious...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks