Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 11:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Ssangyong Rodius spotted in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Whoa !! Access to the 4th row would be quite a task though.
May be thats the reason why there is travel offered in the 3rd row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
There is a big market for such vehicles elsewhere as Airport cabs and maxi cabs. But such market is yet to open up in india i guess. We Indians anyway pack 11 adults in a car like Omni and for those who want space there is Force traveller(or TT)

It will be interesting to see how M&M prices it. But i strongly feel families would not require such big vehicle for personal use. Also this would make car like Innova appear perfectly sized and may boost its sales if M&M prices it more
This can classify into the taxi business only if it will be priced 10-12 OTR (or may be a strip down version will be planned for the cab market)

Also theres nothing beating the Innova IMO majorly because its a Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
This one looks much better when compared to the old one. SsangYong is making an effort to ditch the ugly car maker image. The new Korando looks nice as well.
I remember the previous gen Rodius had won the dubious distinction of being voted "the ugliest car ever made" in 2005;

SCOOP: Ssangyong Rodius spotted in Mumbai-rodiusnewv4.jpg

^ The car also won the Top Gear Magazine *** Award for 2009.

Top Gear Magazine had described this as a car "that looks like it got bottled in a pub brawl and stitched back together by a blind man"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Rodius

Last edited by karan561 : 6th June 2013 at 11:29.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 11:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra indeed has plans of launching the Rodius II in India. In fact, the Rodius could arrive here before the Korando as the second Ssangyong vehicle for the Indian car market. I remember Dr Pawan Goenka making positive noises about the Rodius II for India in 2014, at Geneva 2013. I'll fish out details soon.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 12:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Gosh that is humongous! I think it can slot in just above the Innova as a 8-11 seater. On the other hand, if they are going to market and price the machine as an SUV, then it is going to be a swift farewell for the Rodius.
Old 6th June 2013, 13:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

There have been talks that the All New Innova will be priced a notch / segment higher than what its proced now, so An Innova V might ending costng upto 22 lacs on road. Currently the only MUV available is Innova and the next in Line is the soon to be removed R class (Mercedes R350)

Rodius will offer Gadgets and space to compete with bullet proof reliability of /toyota and Rodius if assembled in India, will be competing with the all new Innova.

I expect rodius to be priced 20-22 lacs ex showroom.
Old 7th June 2013, 08:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quite right, though M & M might also not thinking of volumes from such products. Its the overall band of products that they would like to offer. Now with Vibe, Mr. Mahindra has already placed his hat in the crowded hatch market - its seems that he is getting ready for all market segments.

A one stop shop for any kind of vehicle right from rural use, small family hatch, Sedan, SUV, Premium SUV, UV and Premium UV and yes electric.

They have done fairly well with diesel engines either through in-house production or K9K. The only thing which is missing as of now is a small petrol motor (less than 1.2l) which I am sure would be in making soon (considering reduction in gap between petrol and diesel prices)

They are better planned than Tatas as of now, and will continue to do good business, the monthly sales charts are going Gaga on their sucess for quite some time now.
Old 7th June 2013, 09:57   #21
BHPian

If there is anything to go buy Rexton pricing, the Rodius is going to be priced to undercut the yet-to-be-launched new Innova. A 11-seater that does not look like a bus would sell well in our market. Where Aria failed to provide fair competition to the Innova, Rodius might succeed and bring some sanity into the high-end MPV segment.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:12   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If they do bring it to India they should do away with the last row seats completely and keep that for the luggage. (That would save significant money and make for a better priced version.) They can keep the fourth row seats an additional cost paid option. The Travel range on the third row would make this have the most spacious third row - Even better than the Merc GL.

I like the front better than that of the Aria - It is more SUVish and bolder, though the rear is not to my taste - especially the bumper treatment.

Last edited by ACM : 7th June 2013 at 10:13.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 15:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
May be thats the reason why there is travel offered in the 3rd row.

This can classify into the taxi business only if it will be priced 10-12 OTR (or may be a strip down version will be planned for the cab market)

Also theres nothing beating the Innova IMO majorly because its a Toyota

I remember the previous gen Rodius had won the dubious distinction of being voted "the ugliest car ever made" in 2005;

Attachment 1093464

^ The car also won the Top Gear Magazine *** Award for 2009.

Top Gear Magazine had described this as a car "that looks like it got bottled in a pub brawl and stitched back together by a blind man"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Rodius
Rightly said. Thank God that they got a decent design this time. Looks good to me at least. Check this out: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/06/2...o-geneva-2013/
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 17:22   #24
BHPian

I think this vehicle has tremendous potential in the Indian market given our penchant for size! I totally share Mr. Anand Mahindra's enthusiasm on this one and i dare say that this may bring in tremendous volumes for Mahindra.

It checks most boxes:

1. Decent Power Specifications
2. Sufficient leg room in all 11 seats (atleast from the pictures and videos)
3. AWD/4x4
4. Automatic Transmission

As regards pricing i feel this may just slot in the gap between the XUV5OO and the Rexton which may be on the higher side but not a total deal breaker for most. Mahindra may pitch this one on one against the Innova.

The biggest question mark on Ssangyong products is their reliability and will probably be the biggest hindrance to its success.

Definitely worth a look for that large family considering the Innova.
Old 10th June 2013, 19:32   #25
BHPian

Also I was having a casual discussion about this vehicle with my neighbor and he happened to mention something about a RTO rule where vehicles with more than 9 seats need to be registered as a "mini bus".

Request the gurus to clarify if there is any truth here.

Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 19:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
But i strongly feel families would not require such big vehicle for personal use.
I'm sure this would be a boon for those that still live in joint families.
Yes, now we do have the Force Traveler, but that's nowhere as upmarket as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
If Mahindra pitches it as a "people" then I see it doing good numbers. If they want to pitch it as a Luxury MPV or something like that. I dont see there will be many takers for it. Personally Speaking, I wont pay more than Rs 12-13 lakh for this.
You're right, it should do decent numbers as a people carrier. Mahindra/Ssangyong is not a luxury brand name by any shot, and I can't imagine the richie richs would be caught dead in one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
They could though sell it as a proper 7/8 seater with boot space to spare unlike most other options and let people decide if the last row need remain or go.

If the last row can be folded down, then perfect!
Old 11th June 2013, 13:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I think this vehicle has tremendous potential in the Indian market given our penchant for size! I totally share Mr. Anand Mahindra's enthusiasm on this one and i dare say that this may bring in tremendous volumes for Mahindra.

It checks most boxes:

1. Decent Power Specifications
2. Sufficient leg room in all 11 seats (atleast from the pictures and videos)
3. AWD/4x4
4. Automatic Transmission

As regards pricing i feel this may just slot in the gap between the XUV5OO and the Rexton which may be on the higher side but not a total deal breaker for most. Mahindra may pitch this one on one against the Innova.

The biggest question mark on Ssangyong products is their reliability and will probably be the biggest hindrance to its success.

Definitely worth a look for that large family considering the Innova.
I am Sure they would not offer 4X4 / AWD since no one would take a minivan off road / on bad terrain. I think 20-22 is more reasonable. No way they would price it between Innova and XUV. It is too much car for that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Also I was having a casual discussion about this vehicle with my neighbor and he happened to mention something about a RTO rule where vehicles with more than 9 seats need to be registered as a "mini bus".

Request the gurus to clarify if there is any truth here.

Thanks
Nope - We have 11 seater Taveras and Force Gammas/Toofans, which are NOT registered as a Mini Bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I'm sure this would be a boon for those that still live in joint families.
Yes, now we do have the Force Traveler, but that's nowhere as upmarket as this.

You're right, it should do decent numbers as a people carrier. Mahindra/Ssangyong is not a luxury brand name by any shot, and I can't imagine the richie richs would be caught dead in one of these.

If the last row can be folded down, then perfect!
This would target families who want an upmarket Not so tall MUV.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 13:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

11 seater? Beats me why anyone would buy it!
Getting to the 4th Row would be a unpleasant task and it does not make sense to the taxi segment as well since no one would want to be seated in the last row.
And Comparing this to the Aria is not right. Aria's prices have been reduced and its now more or less at par with the Innova. If the Rexton is at approximately 20Lakhs, why would this be cheaper? Unless they made it in India at the Mahindra facility they have no chance of pricing it at the 15Lakh bracket.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:04   #29
BHPian

O God! Deja Vu.

Can spot nearly 5 designs of different of different brands in that 1 LSUV!!. Aria being the most prominent.
Old 12th June 2013, 16:50   #30
BHPian

Why are we going overboard with the pricing?20-25 lakhs is not a good price,it's marketed as a cheap MPV elsewhere.Its priced at oz$ 30,000.So,I don't think it should be priced above the Innova,Aria.We are going back to the mentality that more metal means more price.
I hope Mahindra position it the same way Ssangyong has positioned it everywhere else and also launch it with the Rodius badge and not the Korando Tourismo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks