Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 17:58   #1
BHPian

Honda issues recall for faulty power window switch on 2nd-Gen City

Report:
Honda Cars India Limited (HCIL) has today issued a recall alert for the 2nd generation Honda City. HCIL says that the power window switch of the car could malfunction in case water or ‘any other liquid’ enters the driver side window.
Given that most parts of India have witnessed heavy rainfall in the recent days, it’s almost inevitable to open your door without getting drops of water inside. And it so happens that the power window switch mechanism is right in the line of fire.

HCIL says that no problems have been reported yet from anywhere in India. The affected part will be replaced free of cost.
A total of 42,672 units of the Honda City (2nd generation) are being recalled. They would have been manufactured in the year 2007 and 2008.
If you think your Honda City might be one of the affected cars, you can head to a HCIL dealership as all dealerships across India would carry out the free replacement. Honda also says that the affected owners would be contacted individually, in a phased manner.
The current Honda City (3rd generation) is not affected by this recall. Nor is the Honda Jazz, at least in India.
Honda is carrying out the replacement as part of a global exercise by Honda Motor Company.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda issues recall for faulty power window switch on 2nd-Gen City-2007hondacity.jpg  

Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 23:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda issues recall for faulty power window switch on 2nd-Gen City

Is this a never ending business for Honda? Replacing power window switches after so many years the car has been sold? Why are they so late in identifying the issue and making the recall? Is this a marketing exercise to show case that they care even after these several years? Earlier, it was the 2005 to 2007 batch and now till 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Report:
Honda Cars India Limited (HCIL) has today issued a recall alert for the 2nd generation Honda City.
Can you please also share the source of the report?
Old 29th June 2013, 23:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Can you please also share the source of the report?
http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle4863521.ece
Old 30th June 2013, 00:45   #4
BHPian

I have a 2nd gen city and as far as I remember the recall was first initiated in 2009. When i went in for service after recall the part was not replaced but in 2011 during service they replaced the part after checking it them self. I don't know how the recall has surfaced again as most of the cars would have already done it during the service, or the replacement parts might have been again defective??
Old 1st July 2013, 11:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Honda City ZX (NHC) recalled in India for power window glitch

Honda Cars India Limited (HCIL) has announced a voluntary recall of the 2nd generation (in India, and 4th generation globally) City sedan, popularly known as the New Honda City (NHC) and the City ZX. The current (3rd generation) Honda City model is known as the All New Honda City (ANHC) in India.

Honda issues recall for faulty power window switch on 2nd-Gen City-honda-city-zx.jpg

The recall of the 2nd-gen City sedan has to do with a faulty power window switch. Upon entry of liquids into the driver side power window mechanism, the switch has been observed to fail in certain 2nd-gen City cars. The power window switch will be replaced at no cost to the customer.

Honda India claims that this problem hasn't surfaced on the India-built 2nd-Gen City sedans. However, as a preventive measure, the Japanese car maker is carrying out the recall exercise, which is a part of a global recall for the 2nd generation City sedan.

The cars, numbering 42,672 units, which are covered under this recall are the ones manufactured in 2007 and 2008. Honda India has instructed its dealers to begin recalling the cars in a phased manner. All affected cars will be covered in the next few months with customers being notified of the same.

The Honda City ZX was sold in India between 2005 and 2008. The car came with two engine options: a 1.5 liter i-DSI engine (with twin spark technology) good for 77 Bhp, and a higher powered VTEC version that outputted 99 Bhp. The City ZX enjoyed a very short run at the hustings (in terms of product cycles in India), with the car barely managing to be on sale for 3 years in the country before being replaced by a new model.
Old 1st July 2013, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City ZX (NHC) recalled in India for power window glitch

It seems to be little too late. But am quite happy to see that Honda is caring for a plugged off model after discovering this malfunction in their product.

Cheers Honda.
Old 1st July 2013, 14:26   #7
BHPian

Wasn't this recall done around 2011? My car was recalled and the power window switch changed during that time
Old 1st July 2013, 14:34   #8
BANNED

Hey Jayprashanth! How did you got this information so late? Were you hiding beneath a rock for the past few years? This recall is more than 1 year old, and i think by now all cars would have already got this part replaced. I got one replaced under warranty too more than 6 months back.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:11   #9
BANNED

Re: Honda issues recall for faulty power window switch on 2nd-Gen City

Source : http://www.hondacarindia.com/mediace...aspx?pr_id=281
Quote:
New Delhi, June 26th, 2013: Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL), today announced that it would carry out preventive part replacement of Power Window Switch of 42,672 units of previous (2nd) generation Honda City, manufactured in the year 2007 and 2008.

HCIL will proactively replace Power Window Switch which may malfunction incase water or any other liquid enters the driver side window.

HCIL is carrying out the part update as preventive measure although no such problem has been reported from any where in India. The replacement would be carried out free of cost at HCIL dealerships across India, and the owners will be contacted individually in a phased manner.

HCIL is carrying out the part replacement as part of a global exercise by Honda Motor Company to ensure stringent quality standards for its products.

The 3rd generation Honda City currently sold in India is not affected and does not require any part replacement. Also, global recall does not impact the Honda Jazz in India.
Very good initiative taken by Honda India.

The H logo is straight and they have a spine.

on the other side, even though the customers reported problems in steering and clutch related parts, Hyundai never bothered to recall any in public. The symbol says it all. H

Start respecting your customers. Its your bread and butter.

Last edited by wildon : 1st July 2013 at 15:13.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Hey Jayprashanth! How did you got this information so late? Were you hiding beneath a rock for the past few years? This recall is more than 1 year old, and i think by now all cars would have already got this part replaced. I got one replaced under warranty too more than 6 months back.
Press release came in today morning.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 1st July 2013, 17:58   #11
BHPian

The car is discontinued and still honda wants to replace the parts. Gives the positive message that it at least cares for the customers.
hrishig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 18:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
The car is discontinued and still honda wants to replace the parts. Gives the positive message that it at least cares for the customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Press release came in today morning.

Cheers,

Jay
I don't know how the news comes out again, but Jay is actually right. The recall comes the same day the US subsidiary of Honda recalled its cars. The news reads & I quote "This is the second such campaign for the 2007 and 2008 Honda Fit hatchback, which was recalled for a similar problem in January 2010."
Here is the entire article published 2 days ago.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...n=timesofindia

The Indian recall was a few hours later this news flashed.

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle4863521.ece

However, some articles suggest that its a recall for Jazz.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 1st July 2013 at 18:17.
Old 1st July 2013, 19:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have my drivers side power window that sometimes malfunctions especially when using the one touch feature. The article says that the Jazz is not affected. Should I insist on replacement. I use my window switch exactly 8 times a day, so it certainly not over worked.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

How many times will Honda change the power window switch on that City?

Are they recalling the replaced units as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks