Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 23:11   #136
BHPian

Re: Nissan India : The Way Forward

I also targeted 90% in my board exams.

Didn't get anywhere close despite identifying my shortcomings.

Datsun and Nissan should take concrete actions to remedy these shortcomings otherwise that 5% market share will remain mythical at best.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 10:16   #137
BHPian

As owner of a Micra CVT I can say these

GOOD
  1. They have decently competent cars and technology.
BAD
  1. A.S.S does not stock any parts other than oils and filters. On an average, it takes a week to get back your vehicle for anything else.
  2. A.S.S bills are usually considered bit premium over Maruti and Hyundai.
  3. Service quality seems to be generally "okay-ish levels" in non-metros. but heard it sucks in Metros.
  4. Nissan management does conduct periodic customer meets at dealership venue. But customers are picked up by the dealers. So there is a huge chance that dealers pick up customers who are "good" to them. This is a bad execution.
  5. In my native town Erode, there is a rumor that the dealer is changing ownership. Existing customers like me feel skeptical.
  6. Adamant about no-offers policy. Throwing a 90K offer on Terrano is too late.
Others
  1. Bajaj sunny was too small to ride, and Nissan Sunny is too lengthy to park in tight apartment spaces. Can we get a Sunny CS please?
  2. Sunny looks awkward in the front. Atleast the Micra looks acceptable. With Hyundai, Maruti and Germans launching better looking sedans, Sunny looks like a mix-n-match from old-era.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 01:11   #138
BHPian

To be honest, I've never seen a Renault or Datsun showroom anywhere in Bombay. There used to be a Nissan at Worli but even that shut down. I realize Bombay is not the representative of the whole country - but it still has to be pretty sizeable market. If none of your brands have a presence in the commercial capital of the country then you aren't doing something right.
Old 28th May 2016, 11:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

Nissan inaugurates new dealership in Muzaffarpur, Bihar

Quote:
Nissan India inaugurated a new dealership, Goberdhan Nissan, in Muzaffarpur, Bihar. The newly-opened showroom is the first Nissan dealership in the city and second in state. Nissan now has a nationwide network of 220 outlets across 167 cities.

The Goberdhan Nissan showroom sprawls over 4450 sq. ft. and has ample space to display up to six cars. It is located in Aamgola, which is in the heart of the city. The 10,000 sq. ft. workshop is situated at Near DAV School, Malighat in Muzaffarpur.

The company plans to have 300 sales and service centres across the country by the end of March 2017. As part of its network expansion strategy, Nissan India plans to increase its dealership network in Bihar to capture huge potential of the growing economy of the state.

Motoroids
Old 9th June 2016, 07:29   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan reveals its 3 year product plan.

To differentiate Nissan from Datsun brands -Nissan is going to be a more global brand and Datsun will be more for the mass and risers( read low-cost)

Focus is on C/ SUV's. Redi Go at the entry level and the X-Trail as its premium offering. X Trail will be launched in late 2016.

Nissan has 2 more products for India.
1. GO Cross - 2019 ( Datsun)
2. Nissan Kicks SUV, internally called PB1D - 2018

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...india/52660584

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th June 2016 at 07:40.
Old 9th June 2016, 09:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nissan reveals its 3 year product plan.

Nissan has 2 more products for India.
1. GO Cross - 2019 ( Datsun)
2. Nissan Kicks SUV, internally called PB1D - 2018
Too bad if you ask me! Just one model change, that too in 2018? What happens to the existing range of Micra/Sunny? Flog them, till the last customer is fooled? I love the looks of the Micra, but I didn't consider the car considering that the new gen is around the corner. It seems, we may not get it in India at all.
Old 17th August 2016, 20:18   #142
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India reports that Nissan have rejigged variants on their entire line-up of cars in India.

Highlights:

-> XE variant of Micra Active dropped

-> Regular Micra petrol is now available only with the CVT (all 5-speed MT variants discontinued entirely on the petrol)

-> XE, XV and XV Premium variants of the regular Micra dCi have also been discontinued (saddened to see the XV P with 4 airbags disappear! )

-> Sunny dCi XV Premium (Leather) axed; petrol CVT is now available only on the XV variant (instead of XL earlier)

-> 3 variants of Terrano have been axed (85 PS dCi XL, 110 PS dCi XL & 110 PS dCi XV)

Last edited by RSR : 17th August 2016 at 20:32.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:36   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan India will be adopting a "Made in India, Sell in China" approach for it's (under-development) cheap electric cars.

The Renault-Nissan alliance's R&D base in Chennai will help the company develop electric cars which will be built to a cost, and then these cars will be exported to be sold in China.

According to Renault-Nissan global CEO, Carlos Ghosn:

Quote:
Electric car is going to be part of the future of our industry. We will develop low-cost electric cars based on knowledge coming out of India but deploy it in China, because that is where the market exists. Government support is very important and Chinese government is very keen on driving electrification of cars. In India, there is not much support for electric cars.

The Chinese market is booming, and we are losing our leadership to a number of local players, who are coming out with cheap electric cars. So we are working towards bringing in our own affordable electric cars for the Chinese market to make sure we don't end up being overwhelmed with what's coming in
.”
On the resounding success of the Kwid, he said:

Quote:
There is a lot of enhancement we are doing on the project. Our first obligation is to make sure that Kwid is perfectly fit for India. This car is going to go into many emerging markets, so the intention is to not limit ourselves to present success of Kwid — we will be launching many new products in the future on CMF- A platform.”
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 10:33   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan shifts India strategy, to launch 8 new car models by 2021.

The launches will include cars from Nissan's global portfolio and new Datsun-brand cars developed in India -- a shift in strategy for Nissan.
Quote:
The strategy now is more common platforms, common modules, common technology ... No more cross-badging now as we may have done in the past
SUVs and crossovers are likely to dominate the new launches in India,the focus will be on car design, technology and cost.

Quote:
Nissan also plans to make India an export hub for Africa and the Middle East, and will develop some of its future Datsun cars in the country with an intention to export them,
Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th October 2016 at 10:37.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:26   #145
BHPian

Nissan Sunny - Hatch version...Why Not?

First - Mods, please merge/move as appropriate. I was in two minds about putting this in the INternational Scene...

Anyways - for whatever reason, I have been seeing a lot of the Versa Notes on the streets of LA. This is the hatch version of the Nissan Versa which is mm to mm identical in dimensions to the Sunny being sold in India.

While I have driven the Note and the Versa both, a Note was pushed to me during a last minute rental. I had it for two days for a quick trip to the Bay Area and what struck me were two things
1. A very surprising FE - I got about 37mpg (15 kmpl) driving at 75 mph (120 kmph) speeds.
2. Very good stability on the desolate I5. The timing of my drive was late evening which is the time the 18-wheelers come to life. I was overtaken at times by these doing over 80 mph and the car was quite planted.

The price point of the Sunny is under 8L? Is there a market for it's hatch version? Why isn't Nissan thinking on these lines...Thoughts?
Old 28th November 2016, 12:33   #146
Senior - BHPian

But isn't the hatch version already available in the form of the Micra? Agreed the dimensions are slightly lesser in terms of the wheel base but you have the micra and the pulse from Renault as well which are the hatch versions of the sunny and Scalia respectively. All four cars have done quite badly in terms of sales, only the sunny performed marginally well during its launch days and. I don't think the sales numbers of all 4 cars are even 1000 numbers every month, and bulk of the micra sales are due to the fleet operators.

I think Renault and Nissan should work on bringing the new micra to India soon and then derive a new sedan out of it.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 15:00   #147
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny - Hatch version...Why Not?

In the US (and possibly in other markets), Versa Note is the hatchback version of Versa. They have comparable sticker prices as expected, but they DON'T look similar at all in any angle. The Note competes with Honda Fit/Jazz there.

Nissan is selling their Versa in India as Sunny because the former name was taken by Maruti 10+ years go.

Coming to what OP says, I too personally feel that Nissan should launch the Note to compete directly with Honda Jazz and Elite i20. It's versatility is very very similar to that of the Jazz. I personally like the looks of the Note a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan India : The Way Forward-219928.jpg  

Last edited by vikred : 28th November 2016 at 15:03. Reason: Added image
Old 28th November 2016, 22:35   #148
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny - Hatch version...Why Not?

Remember some friends placed deep in the Renault-Nissan India operations telling me back in 2010 that the Note was in the primitive model plans for India (along with the Murano and Juke, and the R&D center in Chennai played a major hand in developing the Note) but the Micra's premium positioning, the Micra diesel variant and the Sunny's aggressive price (which came in 2011) made it impossible to position the Note. Nissan then launched Datsun in 2013 and have since then been searching for their identity in India knee-jerk reacting to the market (Evalia for Ertiga, Terrano for Duster) with not much to show.

The Note is based off the same V-Platform as the Micra, but its almost 4 years old now (remember being there at its European debut at Geneva show in March 2013, and it was not a world premiere). Any product this late in its lifecycle is not a good option to enter a competitive market.

Once the new Micra is launched, Nissan will discontinue the Note in Europe - they already have announced that they wont sell it next year. Nissan know that the new bigger Micra with wider market coverage in view needs undivided attention to get anywhere close to the Polo or Fiesta.

Christian Mardrus told us in Yokahama last year that the new Micra will be built for the AMEI region in India. He was unwilling to say more, but surely there appears to be a plan to launch an India-specific Micra.

Last edited by notjustshrawan : 28th November 2016 at 22:43.
notjustshrawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 10:40   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
To be honest, I've never seen a Renault or Datsun showroom anywhere in Bombay. There used to be a Nissan at Worli but even that shut down. I realize Bombay is not the representative of the whole country - but it still has to be pretty sizeable market. If none of your brands have a presence in the commercial capital of the country then you aren't doing something right.
Pls check at Chincholi bunder road, Malad, there is a showroom of Nissan Datsun and Renault. Showooms are also present at palm beach road, Vashi, and at Kalyan Shil road, Dombivali. Albeit the Renault showrooms are quite occupied and busy due to the Kwid and Duster, whilst the Datsun is busy marketing the redigo. The Nissan guys seems to be taking rest as if on a picnic.
Old 29th November 2016, 14:06   #150
BHPian

Well - not to digress, but there are quite a lot of Sedan and their hatch sibling combos that are persisting in the global market today. Noticeable in the India one - Liva/Etios, DZire/Swift etc. In the US market, every compact/economy one has this pair - Focus, Mazda 3, Accent, Elantra, Corolla, Cruze LTZ. My point being, if there is a sedan model with a engineered hatch, why not introduce that instead of going for a new model altogether.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks