Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Proposal to shut Fuel stations at Night!

This is one of the most absurd suggestions I have read till date. And the man behind it till now looked kind of reasonable and intelligent to me but I guess I was grossly wrong. how on earth does that reduce fuel consumption? All it will do is make like for citizens harder since anyone needing fuel on an emergency basis in the night will have a nightmare finding a pump. This govt has totally lost it. They first create a situation where our economy has collapsed and then come out with these absurd ideas to hide there incompetence. We are seriously headed towards becoming a Banana Republic.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:49   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I guess I was grossly wrong. how on earth does that reduce fuel consumption? All it will do is make like for citizens harder since anyone needing fuel on an emergency basis in the night will have a nightmare finding a pump.
I agree Mohit Sir.

Fuel consumption would be the same! Right? They are only stopping the filling at night those guys who were in need of fuel would come in the morning and fill their tanks up. So where do I see a decrease in consumption? It is that they are only postponing the filling of fuel.

Most two wheelers guys used to fill in 100-200 bucks at a time but if this rule is started then they may also brim the tanks so it would only lead to higher consumption of fuel.

Ministers have lost their minds completely and need rest with a LONG holiday.

Anurag.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

#Stupidity: As if it was not enough to mis-govern now the Petroleum Minister is seeking to close fuel pumps from 8pm to 8am.
Does he realize that :
1. A large number of the people work in shifts that need commuting at all hours? Should they stop working only because ministers and babu's consider this a time for no activity?
2. Most of International air traffic is geared to night time operations? Should people stop going or coming to airports?
3. If consumers keep hoarding fuel by tanking up needlessly the consumption is not coming down?

Leave aside urban scenarios
1. Most of farm operations are done at night also since government fails miserably to supply power to farmers when needed? So they should stop commuting at night? There goes Food Security.
2. Most of the trucking happens at night? There goes prices of commodities since trucks will not be able to ply at night.
3. Will we tell god not to create emergencies at night because our leaders do not want us to get any where at night?

Non-sensically he still wants to dole out subsidy on fuel and not face reality of letting prices match input costs. No cut in governmental taxes. Applying solutions to what is not a problem but ignoring the real problems.

And then you want investments in to businesses.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:34   #19
BHPian

What an idea sirji !! hope you guys are plying without your security cars and pilot cars. Is it that your family going for shopping by cycle ? when a public is not allowed to use fuel in night how come a public servant ?
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
To 'reduce' fuel consumption the Government is mulling shutting petrol stations after 8PM.
What an idea
Instead the gubment should have the fuel stations open only during the night and shut during the day!!
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:34   #21
J.Ravi

When a minister starts thinking to find a solution to a grave problem, this is what happens. What will happen to the people, who drive during the night? What next, ban the night-driving of the cars as the government is afraid of truckers' lobby? The minister's proposal, if implemented, will lead to more corruption, more hoarding and more harassment of drivers by the vested interests.

Old 2nd September 2013, 08:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its not like people visit a fuel station like a movie theater. Its only when the fuel is required. And when fuel is required, it is required. There are no 2 ways about.

And driving at night reduces the consumption and doesn't add to the traffic and further fuel wastage in the morning. Then, there is fuel wastage during waiting or searching for a bunk which is open. This will do more harm than good.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:37   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Lol This is hilarious. We can easily guess as to why our country is in such a mess
Thanks to these kind of people.
So to all our mantris?
1. Why do you take your convoy everywhere? Anyway no one attacks you people apart from chappals. We might get killed in a bomb blast.so the convoy has gypsys which are petrols. What about them?
2. You use a fortuner/ prado / q7.etc
If you really want to save the
Environment and that too without compromising on comfort why don't you people
Buy yourself the Camry hybrid/Prius? There are countries where ministers are given hybrids.
3. Shutting petrol pumps at night? Ok I will fill petrol/ diesel in the evening itself. So how are you saving fuel?
4. So I am stuck at night. No problem
This is india there is always a jugaad. Petrol in black. Sahab Rs.2 jyada lagega can se milega. Petrol in black. More illegal business. Someday this black market seller will
Be smoking and the place will burnt. Then police janch kar rahe hai!
So basically your idea really doesn't make sense. Provide us with good and safe roads and have some control over the traffic. This
Will atleast save fuel by 10-20% as the efficiency
Of our vehicles would increase. Please take decisions which don't make us laugh and be ashamed rather make us smile and feel proud!
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Damn! What a bloody shame this is!? Someone is really using the wrong end of the body to do thinking!

Why not stop the subsidy in the name of poor man on kerosene supply for the airline industry?

Last edited by anachronix : 2nd September 2013 at 08:45.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Why not stop the subsidy in the name of poor man on kerosene supply for the airline industry?
https://iocl.com/Products/AviationTurbineFuel.aspx
https://iocl.com/Products/Gasoline.aspx

Sadly you are mistaken sir
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:51   #26
BHPian

I remember this experience i had in college , went for a night out of the city with a friend and got lost ran out of fuel in front of a petrol pump which was shut for the night on the highway, despite all cajoling the attendant wouldn't let us have petrol until the working hours started in the morning.Finally ended up sleeping in the car till morning when he opened up.I can't think of a more stupid thing shutting petrol pumps at night.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:59   #27
BHPian

Speechless. Such statements are so shallow that they don't even deserve a response or a comment. Countering such statements is like insulting one's own intellect.

Just goes to show the kind of people who are running this country. Any ways the problem is too grave for such people to even comprehend.

Solution needs a lot of resolve, hard work and difficult decisions for a sustained period, which is beyond the capability of our politico's.

God please bless our country.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:09   #28
BHPian

Read in newspaper today morning that the proposal exempt petrol bunks on highways.So highway drivers and truckers need not worry.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:12   #29
BANNED

As the British will say, the guy has gone bonkers. Maybe he thinks he will help Shinde - cut crime rate by reducing night-time traffic.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd September 2013 at 09:13.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post

Let's see some of the things which will actually lead to reduced fuel consumption....
Great post!

Btw, if the government is in no mood to fix any actual issues on the ground but simply wants to reduce consumption for a short while so they can reduce the CAD, then the only way I can see they could achieve that is by temporarily spiking the price of all motor fuels by around Rs.20-25 per liter, and sell kerosene and LPG at full rates during this time period. This is going to be hugely anti-populist but it will ensure that motorists reduce their fuel spending on joy rides and drives without a destination, and some car owners may even drop back to using their 2 wheelers for a while. Auto rickshaws won't fill kerosene and LPG users will think twice before cooking something extravagant and fuel consuming. That is real rationing.

But boy, wouldn't there be anger! But, I'm sure many wouldn't mind the temporary inconvenience of a couple of months that may just save the economy from sinking completely. I agree this isn't a proper fix but just a workaround, but our governments aren't known to work on fixes and it's too late to start working on one.

I would, on the other hand, be happy if the hike was made permanent because that would mean that we as a nation, right from the common man, would start looking for and seeking alternatives to petroleum based products and fuels and will ready ourselves for a future sans crude. A very interesting study is the study of Cuba during the Special Period in the 90s that really changed the country for the better.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks