Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 08:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
Surprisingly, Chevrolet sail sedan and hatchback(petrol) have outsold their diesel variants and that too at a time when petrol prices are touching the sky.
See GTO's comments about their diesel recall.
Old 4th September 2013, 09:49   #32
AMP

Much awaited thread! Thanks GTO and Parrys for the wonderful report.

Its seems Duster is loosing its charm. Also there is not much hopes in future, with the bunch of new models scheduled in this segment, it would be very hard for Duster to maintain the same number.
Old 4th September 2013, 09:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

7 *s to the compilation and the awesome commentary - thanks guys!!

The market is very unforgiving - only VFM rules, even in D segment!
Old 4th September 2013, 10:13   #34
BHPian

- Amaze is definitely helping Honda a big way. The diesel engine, especially.
- Almost all manufacturers have seen a decline in their numbers, it seems.
- I had a feeling that Fabia is out of production. Or is it that they started selling it again?
- Fiat, albeit slow, is making a progress. With two 5+ year old models, it is a good thing. This should give them more confidence in bringing more models here.
- Why is there a negative number for Tavera?
Old 4th September 2013, 10:19   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn;
3227432- Why is there a negative number for Tavera?
As explained by GTO in the opening post,the reason you see a minus sign for the Tavera is the recall (more cars coming in than going out).

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th September 2013 at 10:29.
Old 4th September 2013, 10:25   #36
BHPian

Finally the overpriced Renault Duster has been put in its place by the Ford EcoSport. See, Renault this is what happens when you become greedy. Had the Duster been priced more competitively it wouldn't have been hit so hard by the Ford baby SUV.

I seriously loathe manufacturers who despite knowing the worth of their product loot their customers instead of offering them a value for money car. Kudos to Ford!

I know this post has all teh data but still i have compiled the sales figures of the 2 SUV's since the launch of EcoSport. I will update it every month.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.jpg  

captain.torque is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:35   #37
VMG
BHPian

GTO
Could you pl give a break up Automatic VS Manual cars.

Thanks
VMG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 10:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Please misquitas, let's not have any other manufacturer copy the bad practices of Tata Motors

GTO & parrys do not club together the Indica + Vista and Indigo + Manza figures. They are left with no choice because that is how Tata provides the numbers - they simply refuse to give the break-up. Let's face it, Tata Motors' PR/communications department found a way of hiding the Vista, Manza and (Sumo) Grande's low monthly sales numbers by clubbing them together with their predecessors right from the beginning, when these cars never really took off.

Providing separate figures would have meant that people would have been shocked by the low monthly numbers they manage, even lower than the previous generation products. Just like the Aria numbers! Tata would have loved to club them together with the Safari + Storme numbers, but cannot do so because the Aria is a completely different vehicle from the Safari (though it has a lot in common with the Storme).

Imagine how bad it would be for us if every manufacturer were to follow Tata's attempt at hiding poor sales. Ford clubbing together the Classic & Fiesta, Chevrolet combining the figures for the Spark & Beat and so on. Let's not give the other manufacturers any bad ideas by pointing them towards the badly potholed, crater and boulder laden, broken stretch of tarmac called the Tata Motors' "Club" Road, please!
Maruti, for that matter, is already following the Tata model to some extent. The Alto 800 and the K10 series are quite "different" (in engineering and aesthetics) in many ways, yet they are also clubbed together for sales purposes. Would it not have been nice, as many have suggested earlier on this forum, for Maruti to have provided separate sales figures for the 800 and the k10?

The purpose of my question (I hope it was a valid one, otherwise the moderators may please delete my post) was NOT to suggest the adoption of dubious practices, but to ensure consistency in recording facts and figures so that the reader can arrive at a more informed opinion.

Since the Alto shares the same name between the k10 and the 800, it was (presumably) clubbed together. Same was the case with the "Indica" and "Indigo" siblings. My question, therefore, was this: the i10 now has a fraternal twin and given the two above precedents, it would have been natural to have clubbed them together for purpose of "overall" sales of a particular brand from a company.

But nothing, I repeat, nothing should have stopped manufacturers from providing a split up of variant sales within the brand. Ideally, all companies could, and should, have also provided the breakup of brands (Alto, Indigo/Indica, i10) on the basis of fuel (petrol/diesel/LPG/CNG) as is recently being made available by some companies or platform, even it they share were the same 'name'. Had that happened, we would had known the split up in sales of the Alto (800 and K10), the i10 (1.1, 1.2 and now the CRDI engines), etc.

Let us, for a moment, take this hypothetical case. What if Maruti were to sell the earlier and current versions (which differ in engineering and design) of the Swift at the same time? Would Maruti have clubbed them together for sales figures or would their respective sales have been recorded differently?

I repeat what I said earlier, whatever may be the yardstick, car manufacturers need to ensure consistency in recording facts and figures (like what they do with ARAI FE figures), else the numbers may mean little to authorities and customers alike and may at best become an academic exercise.

Last edited by misquitas : 4th September 2013 at 10:57.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 11:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
I seriously loathe manufacturers who despite knowing the worth of their product loot their customers instead of offering them a value for money car. Kudos to Ford!
Well Ford may have put a good product, but as observed elsewhere they have seriously under estimated demand. Also, the lack of sales previously seems to have affected some of their dealers who have forgotten what it is like to deal with customers. My experience in speaking to them and trying to get an idea of when deliveries would happen reminded me of going to the dentist. Only in this case I apparently was the dentist and the salespeople appeared to be people having their teeth pulled out. Bottom line all i got was... book now ...delivery after one year.......yep!! it is so good I am going to hold my breath and wait for it!
Old 4th September 2013, 11:20   #40
BHPian

From the Fuel Story...

From the Fuel Story:

Diesels of Chevy Sail (both sedan and the hatch), Maruti SX4, Nissan Micra (due to its new sub 4 lac "Active" variant??!?) and the Skoda Superb have out-numbered their Petrol siblings in spite of the continuing petrol vs diesel price gap. In fact, there is a considerable close-competition on i20 and Corolla's Petrol Vs Diesel competition. Quite surprising and interesting to learn how this market fluctuates!

On a lighter side, I appreciate the commendable boldness of that "1" single customer from the whole Country who has taken the poorly selling New Fiesta - (that too a) Petrol variant. Wise men say "Think differently" and looks like this person thought "Too" differently No surprises if this person shows up in our famous "The Nation wants to know" series shortly.

Really love to see our market charts, good job as usual T-BHP!

Cheers!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 4th September 2013 at 11:31.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
See GTO's comments about their diesel recall.
I did not find GTO's comment about the sail recall anywhere. It is the Tavera which is recalled.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
Fiat seems to be back in the game. Happy to see slow and steady growth in sales figures. The freebies and advertising campaigns seem to have bought some results. Surprisingly, Chevrolet sail sedan and hatchback(petrol) have outsold their diesel variants and that too at a time when petrol prices are touching the sky.

Diesel production was put on hold for sail twins (due to issues with the crankshaft bolt). It has resumed last week. trust this clarifies more petol motor sales.

Last edited by i74js : 4th September 2013 at 11:37.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Comprehensive report, as always. Excellent work, GTO & Parrys.

The quantity (1847) of i10 grand is the booking received by Hyundai ?
If i'm not wrong, the official launch of i10 grand was today, so how the quantity is being considered in Aug sales.

These are not sales but the number of units dispatched from production facility to dealers. The Grand i10 started reaching dealers during the 3rd and 4th week of August and thus being accounted for in the analysis / report
Old 4th September 2013, 11:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has been doing good numbers for its i20 hatchback. Unsurprisingly, the diesel and the petrol show consistent numbers every month. However slow, tired and unresponsive the 1.2 VTVT petrol engine is, Hyundai has got its game right by providing top of the line creature comforts for the petrol variant that no one in the segment does. And of course with a good pricing strategy, you don't really need to consistently spend money on marketing your product. The diesel sells well because of the prices of the diesel being (still) lesser than the petrol and the petrol engined i20 sells for the sheer feel good factor of the equipment level it comes with, let alone the competitive pricing it sells for. Hyundai's got a clear winner here.

The wait begins for the next blockbuster - the Grand i10!
Old 4th September 2013, 11:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.... The lifestyle segment isn't as sensitive as the others : Notice how the Thar has submitted its best report card of the year.
Thanks for the the very informative thread GTO.

On the Thar numbers, I wonder how many of the ~700 numbers are CRDe's. I think the DI is what is contributing to these numbers. The Kerala Jeep market alone must be responsible for most of the DI sales ! I'd put the 'lifestyle' CRDe sales at ~300.

On the Ecosport, considering Ford's Chennai plant capacity of 200,000 vehicle per annum, it looks like they are operating on a 2 shift basis currently.
Similar to what Honda has done for the Amaze, I think it's time they took a call on starting that 3rd shift and reducing the Ecosport waiting period.

Very interesting to see Fiat sales continuing to increase. With new launches planned for next year and more dealerships opening up it looks like there is some hope there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks