Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 13:20   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh

Tata Sumo Grande to be called Movus; more details revealed by Cartoq

Apart from renaming the Sumo Grande, engineers at Tata Motors have worked on revamping many aspects of the MUV. The key changes below:
  • The 2.2 liter DICOR turbo diesel engine, good for 120 Bhp-250 Nm, gets a warranty of 100,000 kilometers as standard.
  • Mileage improved to an ARAI certified 15.2 Kmpl. It isn’t clear as to whether the improved mileage figure is on the back of significant weight reduction.
  • Clutch pedal effort to be reduced due to revised master cylinder design. Also, clutch life is claimed to have been improved to 100,000 Kms.
  • Revised timing belt to increase durability.
  • Fuel filter design revised to prevent injector damage.
  • Turning radius smaller than Xylo and Innova.
  • Cable type latch to reduce effort of opening and closing doors.
  • 4 seating configurations: 7 S with captain seats for the middle row, 7 S with two side facing seats, 8 S all front facing seats and 9 S with 4 side seating seats (cabbie special).
http://www.cartoq.com/cartoq-scoop-t...etails-inside/
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:21   #77
Senior - BHPian

Whatever they do, it is not going to bring people to the showrooms. They need to change the design, It is too bulky for an MUV.
Old 15th January 2014, 20:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Whatever they do, it is not going to bring people to the showrooms. They need to change the design, It is too bulky for an MUV.
Its the interiors that needs TML's primary attention. The long term durability of current one is pathetic. Even Bolero's interior score better.

Having said that, the ride comfort in a Sumo/ Grande is considered to be superior (within my "motion-sick" family circle )
Old 15th January 2014, 23:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think all the folks in TML's suv design studio need their brains to be taken out and flushed down the pot.
Disgusting is the only word for the Sumo grande. The original design and the refresh too. The refreshed design is refreshingly disgusting.
Old 15th January 2014, 23:26   #80
BHPian

Crappy is the word ! Why can't they just create a 4 door option based on the drool worthy Xenon ? It looks oh so butch and with the proper interiors, The cash registers will start singing !
Old 15th January 2014, 23:36   #81
BHPian

Tata motors seems to be desperate to make for the lost ground. However, they do not realise that these things are not going to work till such time the product looks appealing.

This vehicle lost the market share when Toyota launched Qualis. It could not stand ground in front of qualis in any way. It was beaten hands down and never recovered. Qualis was discontinued and came Innova. It made a successful impact and opened an all new segment.

However, sumo still continues with small make overs. Tata group should learn from the competitors on how to make and sustain a brand. Even, in rural markets Mahindra products have good hold.

Tata's are wasting resources in these experiments which are not going to last.
Old 16th January 2014, 12:10   #82
BHPian

As a current owner of Grande MKII for the last 4 years(Bought it end of Jan 2010) that has done 79K Kms I would say that I like the following things to remain the same:
-A very good engine
-Comfortable seats and space
-A good ride
-Features like puddle light, follow me home headlights, theatre dimming, widows are operable upto one minute after switching off, engine immobilizer,
-Extremely good tyre mileage. I still have 4 mm of tread depth.
-A very effective air conditioner

What I would like to change or improve:
-More attractive exterior styling. The current body panels are 6 years old now and Tata can afford to right off the dies and go for new ones
-A better looking dashboard
-Improved handling
-Rake and pinion steering for better feedback
-Switch gear that are more tactile
-Improved mileage, similar to the Storme
arulpeem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 14:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

It still does not have a coil sprung rear suspension. Parabolic leaf springs are good though, but not at the level of what a coil spring rear suspension can do.
Old 16th January 2014, 16:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
The current body panels are 6 years old now and Tata can afford to right off the dies and go for new ones
-Rake and pinion steering for better feedback
I didn't review the posting... It is 'write off' and right off and 'rack and pinion' and not rake... Mods: Sorry about it and I saw it a little late and I couldn't edit in it time.
Old 16th January 2014, 16:55   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Ditch the current design, ditch the name. Bring this stuff ON (even) at a premium with great interiors! May be a 4WD too! This design will anyday take more numbers than Grande!

Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh-modified-tata-sumo.jpg

Copyright to the respective owner. Pic taken from :: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3296992

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2014 at 16:56.
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 17:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Ditch the current design, ditch the name. Bring this stuff ON (even) at a premium with great interiors! May be a 4WD too! This design will anyday take more numbers than Grande!

Attachment 1191664

Copyright to the respective owner. Pic taken from :: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3296992
This design has the capability of a good 4X4 too, with Minimal Overhangs and good approach angles.
I understand, this was the Old Mercedes GL/M class design.
Hope DB saab is already on the job for something similar.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 18:53   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Never thought the plain Jane Sumo (Gold !) could look this good just by minor modifications. Tata could really take cue from this when it comes to minor updates changing character of a vehicle.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:09   #88
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel none of the facelifts or falcons are really going to help.

What Tata needs is a robust customer care. Take a clue from Mahindra RMs + purple club and start something similar (Blue club ???).

Looks matter but not as much as response from customer care. Bolero is no looker and Toyota Innova has a "taxi" image, inspite of which they sell in decent numbers.

A new design could probably give some boost and a fresh page to start with, but the root is having a responsive (not tactical) customer care and then work towards better product Engineering and workshop culture.

Very Simple IDea: Start with Concode Motors, which is tata's own. If excellent service is provided in concorde, people would flood concorde showrooms and then all other showrooms/dealers/ASCs would fall in line

Last edited by scopriobharath : 16th January 2014 at 19:15.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks