Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is revision of Ford Ecosport prices so soon after launch an unfair Practice by Ford?
Yes, it is an unfair practice. 368 81.06%
No, it is not an unfair practice 86 18.94%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 21:21   #151
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Price revision, an unfair/sharp practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonwheelz View Post
Your argument there is severely flawed to say the least. That's not how things work in the automobile industry, my friend. The dealer doesn't "want" to pay more for a car. He is MADE to, by the company with a supplementary invoice. There is little the dealer can do about it. As a dealer or distributor for any product for that matter, one cannot dictate terms to the company. Hence, what i wanted to say was that an increase in prices only benefits the company and not the dealer.
Pardon my ignorance here! I dont work in the automotive industry. I was just being logical in this scenario. I presume you work in the same, so if you could just give a glimpse on how this entire process of booking a car (from a dealer/company point of view) to delivering the car to the customer works it would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
I tried to be subtle, but as I can see often it does not work. I did read your whole post, and in fact regretted spending time on it since it turned out different than what I expected after reading the heading. Dealer reviews should go into dealership review section. For the rest of the stuff, I see that others have answered.
This is called missing the forest for the trees scenario.

What was implied in my post was very simple, to help people go about their cancellation since ford has not delivered as promised and hiked prices in the mean while.

I will explicitly state it!

"If a customer has booked a car he/she should be able to cancel it without any charges if the company has changed the price (or for that matter a feature) in the car in the meantime."

My scenario was the most extreme. The car was alloted to me and the dealer was delivered the car and i still walked away without giving any cancellation charges to the dealer."

And @Ecosport, seems that you have a certain axe to grind in any matters related to Ecosport! I Have been watching you for a long long time!

Last edited by JayKis : 29th September 2013 at 21:30.
JayKis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 23:28   #152
Senior - BHPian

JayKis,thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It leaves some hope to those who want to cancel, but don't want to bear the cancellation charges. Even though Ford says one doesn't have to pay cancellation charges the dealers are enforcing it citing rubbish like:

"Its Ford's policy sir, we can't go against it"
"It will need approval by our GM and he's busy for next 15 days"

I have a booking, when I casually asked them if any cancellation charges will be applicable should I chose to cancel this is what I was told. Many customers will simply pay it and feel bad, only those who are aware,will refuse.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:05   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonwheelz View Post
Your argument there is severely flawed to say the least. That's not how things work in the automobile industry, my friend. The dealer doesn't "want" to pay more for a car. He is MADE to, by the company with a supplementary invoice. There is little the dealer can do about it. As a dealer or distributor for any product for that matter, one cannot dictate terms to the company. Hence, what i wanted to say was that an increase in prices only benefits the company and not the dealer.
The dealers do benefit to the extent on Cars that were billed prior to the date / time of price increase and still lying in their stock / not billed to the customer.

Also the manufacturer issuing a supplementary invoice to the dealer for the increased price is restricted here because manufacturer has already paid certain amount of excise duty on the original invoice to the dealer. if they issue a supplementary invoice for the increased price of a vehicle then that will lead to evasion of excise duty on that particular amount, and it is not permissible by the Tax authorities. The only other option available to the manufacturer is cancel the billing altogether (to the dealer) and re-bill the vehicle.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:09   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
"If a customer has booked a car he/she should be able to cancel it without any charges if the company has changed the price (or for that matter a feature) in the car in the meantime."

My scenario was the most extreme. The car was alloted to me and the dealer was delivered the car and i still walked away without giving any cancellation charges to the dealer."
Booking and cancellation money does not go to Ford. Ford has little say on whether the dealer can charge a cancellation fee or not. Ford can only give guidelines, but it is the dealer who decides. There is no concrete rule. Might work for some, might not for others.

BTW, I'd be happy if you could leave out the personal remarks, and stick to the elements.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:16   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Also the manufacturer issuing a supplementary invoice to the dealer for the increased price is restricted here because manufacturer has already paid certain amount of excise duty on the original invoice to the dealer. if they issue a supplementary invoice for the increased price of a vehicle then that will lead to evasion of excise duty on that particular amount, and it is not permissible by the Tax authorities. The only other option available to the manufacturer is cancel the billing altogether (to the dealer) and re-bill the vehicle.
It wont be evasion if the company pays excise for the supplementary invoice so raised. The re-billing of the vehicle is not necessary in such a case,

However, this is one way of going about the price increase. The company might either issue a supplementary invoice OR as you rightfully pointed,
Quote:
The dealers do benefit to the extent on Cars that were billed prior to the date / time of price increase and still lying in their stock / not billed to the customer.
the company may give the dealer the price benefit for those unsold vehicles which have been billed before the price hike. There is no ONE particular way of going about the same and it differs from company to company. Smaller companies generally give the dealer price benefit to ensure dealer viability. Even if this was the case with Ford India where no supplementary invoice was raised, I doubt if an Ecosport would even stay in their stock for more than a couple of days, given how the supply is struggling to cope with demand (long delivery time). Hence the dealer would not stand to gain anything substantial either which way.
Old 6th October 2013, 16:42   #156
BHPian

I have been quite literally sleeping for a while. So my apologies to those (Ford, in particular!) who feel it's inappropriate to bash this move.

I happen to visit the Ford dealership today-Noida Ford, as my brother-in-law has booked an Ecoboost Titanium on the 18th of August. And since then we both have been unaware of what's been cooking at Ford. Nobody has the decency to call, let alone update on the price hike. So, it was a bit of a shocker when we came to know about all of it suddenly today.

While I do tend to understand the price hike somewhat/sharp practice et al, but the fact that Ford India has also cut on two of the features (Keyless entry and Push-start button) from the Titanium is more than just shocking.

I have a pre-hike quote from the Ford dealer and I was just comparing it with the revised one. The difference is nearly 70k for the Ecoboost Titanium trim. Plus, they now have separate category for Solid and Metallic colors. Which wasn't there on the previous one.

Even if one is madly in love with the Ecosports, when you counter in the above two points you cannot probably neglect one simple fact. Which is...you nearly have to shell out a lac more and what you get in return is a slightly less equipped car. Paying more and getting less of what you've been promised before. The rupee might have been falling for long but it's about time when someone at Ford takes a stand and stops the buck.

6-7 months waiting period for a car is no-joke. Not even remotely sensible when in the middle of that period you come to know about the price-hike. That too on your own and not by the dealership. I feel a bit of a fool now because I have been really pushing my brother-in-law for the Ecosports like I am being paid by Ford.Now though, I will be the one who'll be assisting him to the nearest Honda/VW etc. dealerships.

As a car it's still a for the Ecosports. But buying one now, after all that was being said and promised earlier, would only mean that instead of you taking the car for a ride, it's Ford who's taking you for one. That's not acceptable!
Shivank is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 15:45   #157
BHPian

Waiting from June for the delivery of my Titanium Ecoboost.

Going by the not so good Fuel Economy reviews of the Ecoboost by those who got delivery, i am seriously contemplating changing my booking from Petrol to Diesel. Not so sure on the waiting period if i do this. A chat with the SA indicated the possibility of being pushed to the end of the que if i change my booking.

Have mailed the dealer today and waiting for a reply.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:44   #158
ved

Hi, I booked Ecosport in June from Fortune Ford Hyderabad (Tolichowki) - my booking was for 1L Petrol Titanium+ which was quoted at 10,07,350 at the time of booking. After almost 6 months of waiting, I was told that the car will arrive this week. But the revised quote was 10,60,579. This is a whopping 53,000 increase from the original price. I know that the prices have been revised but not sure if this is the right price or the dealer is taking me for a ride (without the car
Old 14th November 2013, 13:52   #159
BHPian

I personally feel that the price and the waiting time is likely to reduce the market share for Ecosport.

I myself booked one Ecosport before 75 days and yet there is a uncertainty on the delivery time. Even i didn't get the waiting list number

I also have a city booked and waiting for that too.

Am not sure how many enthusiasts are going to cancel the booking after the city launch.
Old 14th November 2013, 14:05   #160
BHPian

Am I missing something here or has Ford again increased the price of the Ecosport?
Are you guys talking about the 40,000 increase or they have increased it once more,if yes then by how much?I stay in Mumbai.I am very confused now!
Old 27th November 2013, 10:21   #161
BHPian

Yesterday i got a mail from Chennai dealer for Ford that the cancellation charge for Ecosport booking would be Rs.5000 (earlier they use to mention 3000 rs)

I wrote a mail to Customer care of Ford about it. fortunately or unfortunately Ford dealer did this just after a day of City Launch

Would i be able to get rid of this cancellation charges (though i do not have intention to cancel at this point of time)
Old 27th November 2013, 13:33   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Yesterday i got a mail from Chennai dealer for Ford that the cancellation charge for Ecosport booking would be Rs.5000 (earlier they use to mention 3000 rs) I wrote a mail to Customer care of Ford about it. fortunately or unfortunately Ford dealer did this just after a day of City Launch Would i be able to get rid of this cancellation charges (though i do not have intention to cancel at this point of time)
I would urge you to keep emailing Ford until they give you a reply. Do not give into this kinda coercion, I just hope no document has been signed that gives them the right to deduct a cancellation charge. Change your dealer, you would have lost faith in him already.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 13:39   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
I would urge you to keep emailing Ford until they give you a reply. Do not give into this kinda coercion, I just hope no document has been signed that gives them the right to deduct a cancellation charge. Change your dealer, you would have lost faith in him already.

Sure i would do a followup and also i will keep pester the dealer to withdraw the cancellation amount or give me a car

Last edited by trtraj : 27th November 2013 at 13:40.
Old 29th November 2013, 18:06   #164
BHPian

Superb response from Ford, they called me in today and said you do not need to worry of cancellation charges !!
Old 16th January 2014, 20:53   #165
BHPian

Ford Ecosport Buyers Asked To Cancel their Bookings And Book Other Models!

Ford Ecosport, the first hotly successful Compact SUV (Read:<4 m) has seen buyers at it's doorsteps ready to bear even 8-10 months to get their hands on this babe in town. But the recent price increases have harmed it's Value-For-Money factor. Would you buy one right now?

Since it's launch, Ford Ecosport has seen a price rise of about 15% within just 7 months of it's launch. Moreover, the helpless buyers, who have been waiting for this new rage in town since 6 months have gone in for a toss! READ: They, their cash and their patience has gone in for a toss!

Ford EcoSport : Price revision, an unfair/sharp practice-image.jpg

The customers haven't been given any price protection and thus, have to bear the increased price of about ₹80,000. This could act as a deterrent to potential buyers, who would now look for other models, ready off-the-shell such as it's biggest competitor, the Duster.

If the report on Business Standard is to be believed, ford is asking it's customers to either cancel the booking or buy another Ford model. This will be a huge blow to the clients, wating to see their glistening Ecosports ready for delivery since 6 months!

The reason for this is that every one out of five Ecosports made in Chennai are exported to other countries and this has resulted in huge waiting periods for customers. Chennai is just one of four plants worldwide to manufacture Ecosport. Recently, some dealers stopped taking bookings for around 8 of the total 10 variants to meet demand. This has left many buyers frustated!

So, my question to all BHPians is, would you buy an Ecosport now?

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
S@ndy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks