Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:32   #16
BHPian

Re: October 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

How exactly are these numbers calculated? Aren't Skoda reporting they did 1000 units of the Octavia in October?
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
How exactly are these numbers calculated? Aren't Skoda reporting they did 1000 units of the Octavia in October?
Skoda has reported the bookings and hence not despatches to dealers!

Cheers!
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:42   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
One figure which always baffles me is of Mahindra Bolero. It always in 9000 territory. It seems Volkswagen India is clueless about their next move.
Bolero is the vehicle for the mass market that can be comfortable in the tier-II cities. Rough usage and roads don't affect the Bolero so M&M are making hay on that car.

Regarding VW, they are happy with the Polo and Vento sales with a little of Jetta in it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
These figures are the shipments done to the dealers and not sold.

Anurag.
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:45   #19
Team-BHP Support

The Ertiga sure did shoot up. almost 3 times in a single month. Wonder what prompted such a big jump. Rare to see a car that is in market for so long to suddenly shoot up by so much.

Ford is struggling to deliver EcoSports. That's ridiculous. Waiting periods are increasing. People are cancelling orders to go for Terrano and Duster mid variants and yet Ford is not able to ramp up. How else can you justify lower numbers for october but higher waiting periods.

Honda is doing a stellar job with the Amaze. They ramped up production and close to 10,000 in October means they are on their way to give Maruti sleepless nights with the Dzire.

Renault Nissan would be in deep trouble if it wasn't for the Duster/Terrano. One hit wonder for both.

The i10 Grand has become an instant hit and expectedly thanks to the wonderful package. From all the hatches, it has hit the Figo the hardest. The i10 Grand is the perfect package in all respects. In 2010 it was the Figo that was VFM and the best package. Ford, If you bring an already outdated product into the market you should expect a short life and have a replacement planned sooner.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:33   #20
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you very much GTO for the analysis. The trends are very well stated.

Some of my observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti's cars occupy the top 4 places on the best-selling chart....
Quote:
Maruti plays the distribution game as they have the maximum points of sale, which translates into maximizing sales. Most would be surprised that these numbers do not add up as the top car sales per dealer. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...facturers.html
October 2013 was the 3rd best month in the recent history of Hyundai India, and the largest volume it has seen since Feb-Mar 2012. It's all down to the Grand i10 (petrol outselling diesel, by the way).....
Quote:
Just shows how price sensitive the B2 segment is. In the C & D segments, there is more tolerance to the premium pricing on diesel
An average month for Mahindra. The Bolero obliterates its competition and the Scorpio is the most popular SUV in India.
Quote:
With elections around the corner , we will see very strong Bolero till April'14 as demand from political parties and the government agencies should peak
Tata holds on to rank no.4, a position it frequently jostles with Toyota for...
Quote:
The absence high repeat customer from the non taxi segment is hurting Tata bad.
A mixed bag of results at Toyota as well. Things are expected to remain subdued for the cheap siblings until 2015, when their reskinned versions are launched.
Quote:
The Toyota is working hard to reposition Etios. The new radio advts. focuses on the low cabin noise, etc. However, the Indian public can be very punishing. I am sure Toyota will just get stronger from here
Honda managers must be planting a good night kiss on the diesel engine, every night before hitting the sack.

Quote:
Amaze is generating amazing numbers. Best year for Honda after a terrible 2012. Guess Honda is learning a trick or two from Hyundai
What the Amaze is to Honda, the EcoSport is to Ford. The compact SUV is slowly & steadily chewing its way through the 12-month long order list.
Quote:
Problem for Ford has been that it has always only one model which makes the bulk of its sales. Unless Ford crack the code of having multiple segment toppers they will always have pricing issues
Not much to talk about @ Chevrolet, except for the Tavera resuming regular production (post the recall debacle).
Quote:
You will notice that even the dealers have low sales confidence. Where discounts are the main USP, the product eventually gets killed
The Renault-Nissan combine made some real strides in October. Together, they've dispatched over 10000 cars from the same factory. Of course, that's completely down to the Duster-Terrano.
Quote:
Wow, Duster-Terrano is the top selling SUV. Same story as Ford, they will have pricing pressures unless they have more successful products. Good time to come with the Dacia Stepway and shake the B Segment
VW has gone from being super aggressive to super lazy in a span of 2 years. No new launches at all.....
Quote:
Shows how important Dealership experiences are as they lead to good referral business and repeat customers
October was the best month for Skoda in 2013. The new Octavia jumps straight to the top of the D1 sedan segment,...
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how strong the brand Octavia remains
Cheers

KPS
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

I am pleasantly surprised to see that the Scorpio sells more than both the Ecosport as well as the Duster! That too, coming from what is essentially a 10 year old design, and with a facelift looming.
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:43   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
OT: Just a suggestion: Is it possible to add all the big marques like BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, JLR etc. to the monthly analysis report.
The German giants don't share the sales figures. I don't know why they keep it secret when the rest share. Yet to know the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am pleasantly surprised to see that the Scorpio sells more than both the Ecosport as well as the Duster!
I would say old is gold!

The correct vehicle for politicians to use it during their election campaign in the rural parts.

Anurag.
Old 3rd November 2013, 04:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

GTO & friends - many thanks for yet another fabulous report(s)!

I wonder why maruti doesn't introduce the SX4 Dance, the compact SUV format of the SX4 that is/was on offer in the US. Especially given the current rage!
Will also be interesting to note Honda's strategy if amaze alone can rake in 10k numbers!
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks GTO and team for this. Is there any way that I can get my hands on the excel data that you have?
Surprised that the Chevy sails not doing much. Think its a much better hatchback and real VFM. Might be the styling and lack of marketing that is not drawing the crowd.
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Honda and Ford should ramp up their production capacity at the earliest. Both of them have enough potential to fight for #4 spot and make Toyota slip down the order. Toyota is currently enjoying a position that it doesn't really deserve with their current lineup, but do so mainly because their competitors are equally lazy. They'll go aggressive only if Honda overtakes them. I've been waiting for that to happen for a while now but that just seems like a mirage!

With a production capacity of 10k for Honda, Maruti is least worried about Amaze, since they know that the maximum it can sell is 10k per month which means the remaining customers will still come for Dzire.

Same with Ecosport. Duster and Terrano are not so worried since Ecosport cannot sell much more than what they are currently doing and hence the potential damage is limited. Probably Ford can try to do what Honda did with Amaze by making lesser number of Figo and freeing up that capacity for Ecosport. They can easily move another 1.5k Ecosports per month.

Last edited by zenren : 3rd November 2013 at 07:56.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:29   #26
BHPian

Fiat is slowly gaining from the Tata breakup. They should have divorced tata long time back which would have shown a different sales figures today. Skoda too going up with their premium sedans, minus Fabia, is impressive. There is both a Ecosport and the newly launched Nissan Terrano in my society and the Terrano, IMO, looks stunning and macho.
samigo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:13   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Month after Month I am really surprised and feel sorry for Nissan. They came with so much promise and have gradually just lost the plot.

Good to see Fiat finally trying to do something positive.

And lastly unlike the common sentiment prevalent the Innova seems to go strong despite the price hikes.
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:45   #28
BHPian

Nissan has exported 300000 vehicles from India. Ford is also exporting Ecosport in huge numbers, way beyond domestic sales.

Looks like they prioritize their installed capacity for exports over domestic sales as its far more profitable.

Would be interesting if we could get monthly export figures from these manufacturers also along with domestic sales, that will give us an interesting insight.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The German giants don't share the sales figures. I don't know why they keep it secret when the rest share. Yet to know the reason.
Anurag.
I read a article sometime back in March where BMW says that BMW unable to give numbers to SIAM since the industry body comes out with wholesale data, and not with actual sales made at the dealers level. As per BMW's global policy, it does not release the wholesale figures and only retail sales figures are released across the world.

BMW's refusal has seen SIAM also withhold the data released by Audi and Mercedes Benz. And if SIAM releases Audi's and Mercedes Benz's figure, it will be an unfair advantage to BMW.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:42   #30
BHPian

Very informative as usual. Thanks GTO for this and thanks always for taking the pain of doing the calculations and posting them in a meaningful way every month for our consumption.

Since yesterday, I have been logging on to TBHP site several times to see this post.

Thanks a wagon again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks