Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 12:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

In the floods the floodwater outside would put pressure on the glass and make it difficult to break it from the inside methinks.

Also my comment on the sunroof was more in jest than seriousness. I suspect the post I replied to was likewise too.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 12:56   #47
BHPian

Re: BMW X5 breaks down, locks itself up! Owner files PIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
And how exactly does one break open a glass from inside? I doubt a hard kick or multiples of them or multiple punches would even scratch the window, leave aside break it.
An idea which I read recently. Pull out the headrest and use the double metal rods to break the glass. This will obviously not work with the vehicles which come with integrated headrests. In that case, keep a small metal hammer inside the car.
Old 29th November 2013, 13:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
And how exactly does one break open a glass from inside? I doubt a hard kick or multiples of them or multiple punches would even scratch the window, leave aside break it.

I remember a lot of people died in the 26/7 deluge in Mumbai after getting locked up in their cars since they couldn't break their windows.

Someone mentioned having a sun-roof would make it easy. The sun-roof is also made of the same toughened glass, breaking which would be as difficult as cracking the window.

2013 A4's too have the internal manual boot release. I made the Audi sales person lock himself inside the car and demo in reality whether the function really works.
Please read the entire thread before you make a comment. We are talking of an X5 which was stuck on the road and not in a deluge. Firstly there is no mention of the windows not working even though the doors are locked. Even if we are to assume that all power is lost, the windows are not working and the person inside is not able to break the window, someone can easily do it from outside .
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 13:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Please read the entire thread before you make a comment. We are talking of an X5 which was stuck on the road and not in a deluge. Firstly there is no mention of the windows not working even though the doors are locked. Even if we are to assume that all power is lost, the windows are not working and the person inside is not able to break the window, someone can easily do it from outside .
Please sir, calm down. I do not think there was anything frustrating in the post you replied to.

And windows can be broken by headrests, jack-rods or anything hard. A few hard kicks on the side window can break it, too. Not the windshield or rear glass though, they are tougher. Saw this on Discovery, done by Bear Grylls. :P
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sir, for wasting your time by posting irrelevant comments. Accept my humble apologies to have made you post a retort on my frivolous comments.

My assumption when someone says that a car locked itself up, would also mean that the windows are inoperable and are shut close. No?
If the windows move up and down, how can a person said to be locked inside. He/She can always come out of the window.
Regarding the person from outside breaking the window, you sir, are a true genius. The BMW lawyers can use this, in their stand against the owner.

I was thinking of a frail lady, with no brute muscle power, driving her car alone on a highway and gets her car locked up ( windows are rolled up and refuse to come down), when I posted my doubt about how one can break open a window from inside.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 2nd December 2013 at 16:10.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They can always crack a window or even break the rear quarter glass and pass the key out if its an emergency. I thought it was quite obvious. Didn't realise I have to spell it out for few people.
It was not 'quite obvious'. Your comments may implied that the windows were rolled down or could be rolled down. Moreover, most of the drivers will not think of breaking the window immediately to come out of the car unless the car is on fire. The traffic jam due to stck BMW would not have reduced even if the owner could have managed to get out of the car and hence the situation would not have been any better.

Quote:
Even if we are to assume that all power is lost, the windows are not working and the person inside is not able to break the window, someone can easily do it from outside .
Again, any person will not come to break a window pane of a BMW if there is no sign of grave danger to the occupant.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
A friend of mine had a similar experience a few years ago. All the doors just locked and he could not open any of the doors from inside. To his luck he at least had his mobile with him and called his son to bring the duplicate key to open the door from outside. Really scary incident
That is odd. The central locking on my nano can be unlocked from inside. I am not doubting your story, just a bit curious how sometimes higher end technology or features can actually cause more inconvenience!

Please also note I have no idea how the central locking (or anything else for that matter) works on a BMW

I would have thought such cars would be intelligent enough to be unlocked in case of an incident. maybe they did a survey and thought they would build a real 'tijori' (locker/ safe)
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sir, for wasting your time by posting irrelevant comments. Accept my humble apologies to have made you post a retort on my frivolous comments.

My assumption when someone says that a car locked itself up, would also mean that the windows are inoperable and are shut close. No?
If the windows move up and down, how can a person said to be locked inside. He/She can always come out of the window.
Regarding the person from outside breaking the window, you sir, are a true genius. The BMW lawyers can use this, in their stand against the owner.

I was thinking of a frail lady, with no brute muscle power, driving her car alone on a highway and gets her car locked up ( windows are rolled up and refuse to come down), when I posted my doubt about how one can break open a window from inside.
I think you are unaware of the incident when Bhushan Kumar (Tseries) was locked up in his Rolls Royce. He had to climb out of the window to get out so in that case even though the doors were locked he was able to open the windows - which I am guessing is what happened here. The term used in this case was also 'locked up' and infact Bhushan Kumar has filed a case against Rolls Royce asking them to take back his vehicle and replace with a new one.

With regards to your sarcastic comments, if you are stuck in your car with no other immediate remedy, would you not ask someone to break open a window to help you out. What is the big deal if its a BMW. Getting out would be my first priority instead of suffocating inside.

Again, all along I have been talking of this particular incident of the BMW getting stuck on a busy street whereas many of you have been taking my comments out of context and applying to hypothetical situations.

However, next you spot a frail old lady driving a BMW X5 please do take a picture for me.

Last edited by manishk123 : 2nd December 2013 at 17:56.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Again, all along I have been talking of this particular incident of the BMW getting stuck on a busy street whereas many of you have been taking my comments out of context and applying to hypothetical situations.

However, next you spot a frail old lady driving a BMW X5 please do take a picture for me.
The Indian Express article does state that both, the windows and the doors were locked up. Re-read Column 3, Line 2 to Line 5.

Which is why my original question: How does one break the windows from inside? Bhushan Kumar's story was not the original bone of contention. The X5 news made me wonder about the possibilities of breaking out from inside a "locked up" car.

And a Frail lady is not the same as Frail old Lady.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DigitalEdition.pdf (514.2 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by riteshritesh : 3rd December 2013 at 18:01.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks