Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Guide: Transferring a vehicle to Chennai (from another city)

What if the car is under hypothetication? Would the banks support the NOC and change of registration to a different state?
Old 29th August 2017, 23:03   #17

Hi everyone

i am planning to take my Bangalore registered S cross to Chennai. I don't want to get into hassles of re-registration. Can i not just pay the Lifetime tax in Chennai and drive the vehicle there ?

NOTE:
Also came across that it can be done in Maharashtra.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-car-pune.html

Can anyone confirm this for chennai ?
Old 20th November 2017, 22:32   #18
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have recently shifted to chennai and am planning to bring down the family car from Kolkata which is registered in my father's name.

I have read through the initial post but have certain additional queries.
1. When transferring the vehicle, what additional steps will i need to take to transfer the vehicle to my name as it is currently registered in my father's name?
2. I stay in a PG without any rent agreement with the landlord. So i basically do not have any local address proof. What options do I have? Will a letter from the HR suffice?
3. I am unable to find the exact amount of road tax that i might have to pay when i bring the car to chennai. I know that the road tax here is a life time tax @ 10%. However, that is for 15 years. My car is already 9 years old. How will that affect the rate of taxation?
Old 22nd November 2017, 00:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post

3. I am unable to find the exact amount of road tax that i might have to pay when i bring the car to chennai. I know that the road tax here is a life time tax @ 10%. However, that is for 15 years. My car is already 9 years old. How will that affect the rate of taxation?
You will have to pay 10% road tax on the depreciated value of the car .

Why are you in a hurry to change the registration considering you don't have address proof ? You won't face much issues here anyways .

I am against this whole stupid policy of changing registration when moving between states. It's a colonial era hangover that doesn't belong in today s adhaar age.
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
You will have to pay 10% road tax on the depreciated value of the car .

Why are you in a hurry to change the registration considering you don't have address proof ? You won't face much issues here anyways .

I am against this whole stupid policy of changing registration when moving between states. It's a colonial era hangover that doesn't belong in today s adhaar age.
Well actually in West Bengal you can pay for road tax 5 years at a time and the I've paid I 2013 is about to expire next year. If i don't change the registration then I will any way have to pay road tax again next year in Kolkata.

Also, I plan to stay in Chennai for atleast 3-4 years in Chennai. Can i keep driving for 4 years on a kolkata registration without paying road tax here?

But for these issues, I would actually prefer to keep the old registration.

Coming to the tax computation. How can i determine the depreciated value? Is it a declared percentage year on year?
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I plan to stay in Chennai for atleast 3-4 years in Chennai. Can i keep driving for 4 years on a kolkata registration without paying road tax here?

Coming to the tax computation. How can i determine the depreciated value? Is it a declared percentage year on year?
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/t10.html

These tax rates are all you need to know.
Old 24th November 2017, 09:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

These tax rates are all you need to know.
Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Any chance you know any agent at who can get me a registration at the KK Nagar RTO? I currently stay at Ashok Nagar. If I am not wrong I will have to take the registration from KK Nagar RTO.
Old 25th November 2017, 13:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Any chance you know any agent at who can get me a registration at the KK Nagar RTO? I currently stay at Ashok Nagar. If I am not wrong I will have to take the registration from KK Nagar RTO.
I am quite wary of agents . Prefer asking a driving school nearby. They are the more reliable version of agents. The driving schools I use to get my work done deal with Virugambakkam RTO.

You could try doing it yourself. Should be easy if you have all the documents. Presume you have the NOC from Kolkata RTO which is compulsory for a change in registration. Otherwise, they will accept the road tax which will give you a break from RTO and police.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 25th November 2017 at 13:25.
Old 25th November 2017, 19:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can drive in Chennai with :
  1. kolkata registration
  2. TN tax payment for 1 / 2 years
If you are in TN for a few years, you need not re-register the car. You just have to pay road tax.
Old 25th November 2017, 19:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any chance you know any agent at who can get me a registration at the KK Nagar RTO?
Please check your PM, sent you a couple of reliable sources.

PS: If someone else is also interested on this contact, I shall post it here.
Old 27th November 2017, 10:04   #26
BHPian

Friends. I plan to transfer a car from MH to Chennai in Jan 2018. I will prefer to register it in Chennai. Would like to know if there is any possibility of me getting a refund of the tax i paid in MH ? if yes, will it be possible to do it sitting in Chennai through an agent?
Old 19th July 2018, 15:57   #27
BHPian

Vehicle ownership transfer : Chennai

I recently bought a pre-owned car at Chennai.
(The car is registered at TN-10, whereas my address is in TN-07.)

Based on the requirements stated at the State Transport Authority website (http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/eng%20cc/rc8.html) and clarification from the AASI, I ensured the following.
  1. Notice of transfer in Form-29 (in Duplicate).
  2. Application in Form-30 (in Duplicate, if it is HP).
  3. PAN or GIR or Form-60/61 of I.T. Department (other than two wheelers).
  4. Registration Certificate
  5. Insurance Certificate
  6. Proof of address

All of the above, plus photographs etc were submitted to TN-07 for ownership transfer, through the AASI. They have now come back stating that there is a new rule whereby even for transfer within the same city a "No-Objection" is to be requested & obtained by the Seller from TN-10 favoring TN-07. Apparently a template for this request is not yet available & neither will they accept a request from the Buyer.

I am in a quandary as the seller has gone abroad and is back only next year.

Appreciate suggestions from Chennai experienced folks.

Note : Started a new thread for Chennai as other ownership transfer threads appeared to be other city specific.
knockout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:51   #28
BHPian

Re: Vehicle ownership transfer : Chennai

Hi knockout,
Not an experienced hand at this, but I did a transfer of ownership about 2 months back and got it done without any hindrance. The vehicle was a TN 09 and the transfer of ownership was to a TN 07 address.
I used the services of an agent as I did not want to go through AASI. I did an ownership transfer through them last year, and except for the couple of 100 rupees saved, there was nothing much to praise them for. The whole process through them took me 3 weeks to get the endorsed RC.
Through the agent, I got the the endorsement done in a day.
Let me know, I can give you the number of the agent in Thiruvanmiyur RTO, who did my transfer.
Old 19th July 2018, 18:42   #29
BHPian

Thanks for you response, Captain.
Appreciate if you could PM/email the contact's number.
Old 19th July 2018, 19:22   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in the process of ownership transfer for my bike and this is indeed a new rule coming into existence recently. Am told this is because the RTOs have undergone an online upgrade. Thankfully, the previous owner is in Chennai (though it's Kolathur) and me in Adyar, even I need to get the NOC and it can be secured, apparently for a fee of 100/-.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks