Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Guide: Transferring a vehicle to Chennai (from another city)

Procedure for transferring registration of vehicle to Chennai from other places in India

Snapshot:
1. Against the popular belief that it is difficult to transfer vehicle to Chennai, it is very simple
2. It costs about the same as anywhere else in India (Agent commision is between Rs.1000 to Rs.4000, depending on complexity*)
3. It has three parts
a. Getting NOC in Chennai (Only owner has to get personaly)
b. Pay road tax (Can be through agent, you get a receipt)
c. Register in Chennai (Too complex to do yourself, leave it to agent)
4. All and any use case can be handled, you can get registered in Chennai, inspite of any complexity*

Step 1: Get the documents in order

Get the following documents from the location where the vehicle is currently registered:

1. Current RC book endorsed with NOC
2. Form 28 – Application and grant of NOC - dully endorsed from the RTO where the vehicle is registered
Please have the following documents also:
1. Current insurance
2. Current pollution certificate

The proofs needed are:

1. Address proof in Chennai (Ration card, voter id, …)
2. Photo id proof (Driving licence)

Step 2: Get the NOC at Chennai

Authority granting NOC

Crime Records Bureau (CRB),
I Floor, New office of Commissioner of Police, Egmore, Chennai

Location of CRB
Landmark: Near to Egmore Railway Station, opposite to dinathandhi newspaper office

How to reach:

1. Reach Egmore railway station its right opposite to the station
2. Reach Chindadiripet metro rail station, take an auto for Rs.25 to new commisioner’s office)

Take the following originals:
1. RC Book
2. Insurance
3. Form 28
4. Address proof
5. Photo ID proof
Fee: Rs. 20

Form to be filled:
1. NOC request form (Only given after CRB checks your originals (Takes 1 minute to fill)
a. Take photocopy of the five original documents, neatly stapled

Procedure:
1. Give originals for scrutiny at the dedicated counter (This will be returned to you immediately)
2. Fill the application form given there
3. Submit the photocopy
4. Pay the fee (Rs20)
5. Take the receipt
6. Come next day with receipt and collect the NOC

The process is straight forward. No agents or go betweens allowed. The owner of the vehicle has to go personally. The process is quick and straight forward. Takes just 10 minutes on day 1 and 5 minutes on day 2. The counter is not crowded on weekdays. Suggest you go on Friday for paying fees and collect the NOC on staturday.

Step 3: Pay the life time tax again (You would have paid the first time at the RTO where you got your vehicle registered, approximately same amount has to be paid again) This can be done by an agent

Step 4: Register your vehicle in Chennai .This can be done by an agent. Doing it yourself is a pain.
1. Fill form 33 (Address change form, Fee Rs.20)
2. Fill form 27 (Application for assignment of new registration mark on removal of a vehicle to another state)
3. Form 20 – Vehicle registration form
4. Four photos needed
5. Self undertaking Affidavit on Rs.20 stamp paper
6. Envelope with Rs.30 stamp – 2 nos (1 self addressed and 1 RTO of origin)
7. All originals
8. All photocopies
9. Chassis pencil prints – 2 Nos
10. Authorisation letter with Rs2 cout fee stamp

Complexity*: NOC from RTO is more than 6 months old, NOC from CRB is more than 1 month old, name transfer along with this, no address proof, etc.

Last edited by ravradha : 20th December 2013 at 15:52. Reason: Garbled
ravradha is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 18:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Guide: Transferring a vehicle to Chennai (from another city)

You need not take the vehicle for getting NOC. (Adding this just in case some one thought she/he has to)
ravradha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 20:46   #3
BHPian

Thanks Ravradha for the information. From your signage, I understand you are from Bangalore. I am in a dilemma now. I relocated from Bangalore to Chennai an year ago, but I never took the NOC for my bike from there. Now I pay Rs.100 every week to the cops and spend 30 mins on every instance begging to them for my release.

May I request your help to know how to get NOC from Bangalore? Should I take the bike there to get NOC stamped in my RC book? Information you can share on this account will be of great help to me. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2014, 07:10   #4
BHPian

Hello Ravradha, thanks for your detailed explanation. One question is what is the process post registration to get refund of the life time tax paid earlier in the state where the car was purchased.

Also for the tax calculation, is the invoice value of the car used as on purchase date or do they look at the cost of the car today. If it is the former, how do we prove the value during purchase if the original invoice is not on hand.

Last edited by vishnugs : 16th January 2014 at 07:19.
Old 16th January 2014, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
: Guide: Transferring a vehicle to Chennai (from another city)
Thanks Ravradha for the information. From your signage, I understand you are from Bangalore. I am in a dilemma now. I relocated from Bangalore to Chennai an year ago, but I never took the NOC for my bike from there. Now I pay Rs.100 every week to the cops and spend 30 mins on every instance begging to them for my release.

May I request your help to know how to get NOC from Bangalore? Should I take the bike there to get NOC stamped in my RC book? Information you can share on this account will be of great help to me. Thanks in advance.
1. NOC from Bangalore is a must
2. This can be got through one of your friends who can get in touch with an agent in Bangalore RTO. Agents abound at RTOs.
3. It is possible to get NOC without the bike (in Bangalore)
4. Ask him to courier the relevant forms to you (got from agent)
5. You can fill the form, including the pencil mark of the chassis number
6. And courier it along with RC book to him

This is possible.

All the best
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Ravradha, thanks for your detailed explanation. One question is what is the process post registration to get refund of the life time tax paid earlier in the state where the car was purchased.

Also for the tax calculation, is the invoice value of the car used as on purchase date or do they look at the cost of the car today. If it is the former, how do we prove the value during purchase if the original invoice is not on hand.
1. The process to get refund - you may enquire at the CRB counter. They will explain.

2. For tax calculation invoice value is taken so they ask for the original invoice

All the best
Old 16th January 2014, 11:05   #7
BHPian

ravradha, aren't you supposed to give to the currently registered RTO a self declaration in a Rs 20 stamp paper that you are moving another place where you are planning to get your vehicle registered?
Old 17th January 2014, 10:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
ravradha, aren't you supposed to give to the currently registered RTO a self declaration in a Rs 20 stamp paper that you are moving another place where you are planning to get your vehicle registered?

Yes and no.

Yes you need to give an intimation to the present RTO that you are taking your vehicle out of state.

This is done in prescribed forms issued by RTO.

You may want to do this to get:

1. NOC for taking it out (The checkpost can demand this if its is transported in a lorry), The new RTO will also demand this
2. The life time tax refund

Hope this helps.
Old 17th January 2014, 19:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Procedure for transferring registration of vehicle to Chennai from other places in India

Step 1: Get the documents in order

Get the following documents from the location where the vehicle is currently registered:

1. Current RC book endorsed with NOC
2. Form 28 – Application and grant of NOC - dully endorsed from the RTO where the vehicle is registered
Please have the following documents also:

I am paying Rs.100 to the cops to leave me whenever they catch me and today I had to pay 500 bucks to get released. :(

Last edited by Jakku : 17th January 2014 at 19:36. Reason: adding the last line
Old 17th January 2014, 20:12   #10
BHPian

Why all this complex mess? I have always said it is high time that we come up with the concept of vehicle number portability. Why do we all have to get into such situations of paying tax and seeking refunds again and again? Why the government has drawn these lines? We are all citizens of one country and should be given the permission to drive and reside freely where ever we wish.

Do we not deserve some peace. Managing such situations waste so much of our resources and hamper overall productivity.

Imagine a situation where we do not have to worry for the documentation hassles and transfers ,we can do much better things than wasting time and this will result in overall productivity which will help us build a better and progressive nation.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 19:52   #11
BHPian

Hello folks, I live in Bangalore and I m planning to buy a car that is registered outside Karnataka. The car is in the name of its first owner. Can you please share your inputs on the order of execution.

1) Create an address proof for me in the state where the car has current registration.
2) Do a local transfer of the car to my name where I will be the second owner.
3) Get NoC from the state to transfer out.
4) Pay local KA tax in Bangalore on the depreciated invoice value.
5) Apply for registration in Karnataka.
6) After obtaining registration, get refund in the earlier state.

If there is any better way to do this, especially the order of the first three steps, please let me know. Also should we do 4 before 3.

Can you also throw some light on the time generally taken for steps 3, 5, 6, atleast to the extent of whether it is in weeks or months or years.
Old 18th January 2014, 20:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post

:(
You need not take the bike, just ask one of your friends to approach a reliable agent at RTO in Bangalore, to get NOC stamped. You may need to fill a couple of forms. These logistics can be done in couple of weeks. All the best.
Old 28th January 2014, 23:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post

Step 4: Register your vehicle in Chennai .This can be done by an agent. Doing it yourself is a pain.
An update.

This is a painful step. This has three sub tasks.

Task 1: Sign of RTO
Task 2: Sign of the vehicle inspector
Task 3: Get the registration

I did the taks 1 and 2 today. It took 5 hours, and I was with one of the well networked agents.

Both the tasks we have to do by personaly (with the vehicle) meeting the RTO and the vehicle inspector. The are THE VIPs in the office. So it takes time to get appointment. Secondly one will be in the office and other will be in the inspection ground. Was amazed at the sight of some 30 brand new cars and 350 shining two wheelers at one massive inspection ground. If you get time and know the location please do visit any of the inspection ground. There is no way you can see such a collection of new vehicles any where else. This also means that there are about 400 vehicles getting registered per day in one RTO!

But this doesn't tally with the overall auto sales figures. Came to know that this RTO is one of the largest in TamilNadu. Probably today was a peak day for them too!

I have to be back in RTO with the vehicle after 40 days for completing task 3.

The over all process of registration change will take about 3 months.

Last edited by ravradha : 28th January 2014 at 23:33. Reason: added few details
Old 11th August 2015, 16:35   #14
BHPian

Hi

I may be in Chennai for a while and am planning to take my KA registered Alto there. However, I dont want to get it re registered there as the car will ply in both Chennai and Bangalore and hence want to retain the KA registration. Can someone comment if its legal and acceptable to the TN RTO to have a car from another state ply there with the road tax paid but registration not transferred to a TN RTO? Also, how long do they allow for a car which is registered elsewhere to ply in TN without paying the road tax in TN.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th August 2015, 19:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you're regularly traveling between Chennai and Bangalore, retain all the toll receipts. You can show the cops you're here only for a short while, unless the same cop catches you a number of times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks