Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2006, 18:00   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Baleno will be replaced?

Well after having talks with a few high officials from MUL, from what they tell me the BALENO WILL NOT BE REPLACED WITH ANY CAR in the near future .. So dont expect the baleno to be phased out .. The liana sedan will be sold in the next bracket that is 9L + .. While the dealers requested suzuki to launch the liana in india they were asked to prove their metal in the sale of the baleno before granting them permission to sell a car in the next segment .. Thus , the agressive approach towards the sale of the balenos recently ..

Though there is no confirmed dates asto when the new sedan will be launched , talks are on with suzuki on a serious note ..

Coming to the zen , the new model should be on the roads by november .. For the moment to liquidate the stock of the current zens a disount of 35k is being given .. The zen at 3.78L OTR bangalore is just 47k costlier than the alto and makes an amazing buy .. However stocks are dying as we speak .. Only the LXi versions available ..

Also next in line for the release from the MUL stable is LPG Wagon-R from the company itself .. This should be out within the next two months itself ..

Next in line is the diesel swift , though the dealers dont have much info about it .. This is what the masses are waiting for ?? Maybe thats the reason why they are being so mum about it .. Will try to get more info on it ..

Also nissan is chalking out deals to share maruti production plants to manufacture cars for export basis and carry it on for india too ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 18th June 2006 at 18:02.
Old 18th June 2006, 18:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Baleno will not be phased out !!!
Well after having talks with a few high officials from MUL, from what they tell me the BALENO WILL NOT BE REPLACED WITH ANY CAR in the near future...
You make it sound like this is good news...and a Liana for 9 Lakhs? MUL must be out of their mind.
Old 18th June 2006, 18:11   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
You make it sound like this is good news...and a Liana for 9 Lakhs? MUL must be out of their mind.
Not that its some kind of good news , but there was a lot of speculation on a few threads that the baleno is going to be phased out .. So this is to clear the doubts .. Also 9L is just a rough estimate that i was given , for all u know it could come down by another lakh as well .. All we can do is wait until the day arrives ..

Well yes liana at 9L + seems a bit too optimistic .. But thats what i was told .. It will compete with the honda city vtec , top end version of the fiesta et all ...

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 18th June 2006 at 18:14.
Old 18th June 2006, 18:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

.....and out of memory - remember what the Baleno was priced at. Frankly, the Liana is an ugly car - looks like an Indigo smoothed over
Old 18th June 2006, 18:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
.....and out of memory - remember what the Baleno was priced at. Frankly, the Liana is an ugly car - looks like an Indigo smoothed over
It is also about the same size as - if not slightly smaller than - the Indigo. I've sat in many cars of similar size abroad, but the Indigo really takes the cake as far as space, ease of access and seating comfort is concerned.

Liana is comparable to the Aveo.
Old 18th June 2006, 19:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not really a good news as such, but for existing baleno owners it is, in a way... obviously because it will make things easier on maintenance/spares front
Old 18th June 2006, 20:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Liana for 9L? Are they nuts?

I dont think there is exactly the need for another hatchback, the Swift is doing pretty well...
Old 18th June 2006, 21:18   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Liana for 9L? Are they nuts?

I dont think there is exactly the need for another hatchback, the Swift is doing pretty well...
Well did i mention they are planning to bring in the liana sedan ?? And not the hatchback ??
Old 18th June 2006, 21:42   #9
BHPian

so the decision to go for a baleno proved good to me :d
Old 18th June 2006, 22:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

mclaren1885,

I would necessarily take any words from a company's officials abt not phasing a model out with a truck load of salt. After all, would it help their cause if it were to be known that the Baleno is getting stopped - especially considering the reach of Team-BHP ?! The Baleno is selling a few peanuts a month currently and I'm sure MUL knows the writing on the wall.

I agree with Ajmat and Islero that while the Liana is a current gen sedan from Suzuki, quite frankly, Suzuki's car design skills have only picked up from the Swift and SX4 - that were done after the Liana.

On another note, I think MUL should stop with immediate effect this step-motherly treatment they accord to India - their largest market outside Japan (abt to eclipse Japan in the next 2 years) and treat it like the prime market it is rather than sell outdated cars and give attitude abt releasing their latest models in India.
Old 18th June 2006, 23:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

I dunno how intelligent this decision would be.

Instead of 9.0, 6-7 lacs is a much reasonable price.
Old 19th June 2006, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The liana sedan will be sold in the next bracket that is 9L +
Are they serious?! 9L for that POS! Anything over 5 to 6L for top end variant is a rip off!

Quote:
think MUL should stop with immediate effect this step-motherly treatment they accord to India - their largest market outside Japan (abt to eclipse Japan in the next 2 years) and treat it like the prime market it is rather than sell outdated cars and give attitude abt releasing their latest models in India.
I agree but why should they when they have Indians lining up to buy their outdated cars at premium prices? Thanks for raising this point. I have always wondered why Opel, Ford, GM, Fiat get the flak for not bringing in their latest models while no one questions MUL about it. And, interestingly, Hyundai, constantly treats Indians with respect and gives us their latest car models and still gets a lot of flak!
Old 19th June 2006, 10:40   #13
BANNED

Guys guys !!!! Lets not argue over the price point here .. Like i said the price has not yet been finalised .. The plan is still in its novice stages and coming out with a price figure is quite difficult .. The officials at MUL itself werent quite sure about the price tag that suzuki would give them .. All that matters is that it would be sold in the next segment to the baleno ..

For all we know they could get the price down to marginally a lakh over the baleno , wish maruti could give us the 1.6L twin cam engine coupled with ABS, airbags , EBD .. That would be a scorcher along with the safety levels the lack of which they so brag about on the baleno and the zens ...
Old 19th June 2006, 11:01   #14
BHPian

If they continue to charge 10k+ for the Baleno rear lights, I don't think they need to phase out this model. They would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited by pradkumar : 19th June 2006 at 11:02.
Old 19th June 2006, 12:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar
If they continue to charge 10k+ for the Baleno rear lights, I don't think they need to phase out this model. They would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Only in Pune. Here it's 6k or so for both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks