Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 15:13   #1
BANNED

Car Stolen - What to do? - Help!

Guys,

My good old Maruti 800 got stolen yesterday from Vasant Kunj, New Delhi... i am looking for some help here... the model was pretty old 1989 but was under insurance; any guesses how much i can get for the car from insurance people....

Please respond i am in need....

Udit
Old 27th June 2006, 15:21   #2
BHPian

Udit,
Please launch an FIR in the Nearest police station and ensure that the Police Writes the FIR In there Register as normally they only write a complain and then after that submit the copy of the FIR to the Insurance company and after 3 months or so if your car is could not be recovered by police that they give you a affidavit that car could not be found and then the insurance company would give you the money.

You would get the value of car that the insurance company had kept when the insurance was done.i.e say if the insurance is of 1 lacs you pay around 4000 rs so in case of car is stolen you would get one lac.

Secondly,please go to meerut and search the same there as meerut has got the largest car market,i mean stolen cars are also sold there.
Thanks

Last edited by anupam00 : 27th June 2006 at 15:26.
Old 27th June 2006, 15:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sad to hear that. No matter how old, or what condition, it hurts to lose somehting like that.

Now, what do you do.

1. File a police complaint ASAP (If you haven't done so already)! Don't waste time on this.
2. Notify the insurance company of this. I presume you have a comprehensive policy.
3. You will probably have to submit a copy of the police report to them.

After that, I think there is a minimum amount of time you have to wait before the insurance company will give you claim amount. They conduct their own investigation into any claim, and on matters such as a theft, I presume it would take a bit of time.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 27th June 2006, 15:28   #4
rks
BANNED

You need to immediately register a police complaint and then inform your insurance company (who will ask for proof of the police complaint). I think the insurance company will wait for a certain period and get a police report before conceding your claim; their main worry would be a possibly fraudulent claim in which someone disposes off his vehicle and then claims insurance. Hope you have a copy of the insurance and registration papers with you -- otherwise there may be more complications, and you may have to run after the RTO and insurance company to get copies.

Last edited by rks : 27th June 2006 at 15:29.
Old 27th June 2006, 15:37   #5
BANNED

Yes, i have all the required documents; did a lodge FIR yesterday night itself... ya i am feeling too bad to loose it; i learned driving on that only and was my best buddy whenever i need to go out near by...

Hopefully i will get some amount from insurance... as i was already in process of buying my new car; you must have seen my posts regarding the same... earlier it was more for a style i was thinking to buy a sedan (Baleno or Viva... still not final )

Lets see... thanks for the help guys....
Old 27th June 2006, 16:03   #6
BHPian

hey udit really bad to hear what happened. hope they find your car , and if not ( god forbids) u get the insurance amount without any problems.
Old 27th June 2006, 20:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
hey udit really bad to hear what happened. hope they find your car , and if not ( god forbids) u get the insurance amount without any problems.
Udit, Just pray that you don't find your car. I repeat THEY DONT FIND YOUR CAR. Give you details later but soon after the Brazil- Ghana Match

So long....
Old 27th June 2006, 20:59   #8
BHPian

I think the Delhi RTO has a link where you can enter the engine/chassis number/reg no of a car to check its authenticity and status..for that I think you need to get in touch with the RTO.

I can also suggest, That since we Red-line India's Automotive scene we can also have a thread in which users can upload there car details/photo's ( Only the stolen ones)...Udit you could also contact the Automotive associations to give them details of the car, so that they may hotlist it..But chances are your car may already been disintegrated into spares or could have found its way into Bihar or Nepal..! Sorry to hear your loss...Get some good secure security system such as Auto-Cop or Gear-Lock.
Old 27th June 2006, 21:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, Hope and pray that the police don't find your car. If they do, then your car needs to be in the police station for a while, after which you can use your influence and get the car released. After that you file an affidavit to get your RC Book back, (which will be in the possession of the court). Then you have to necessarily hold on to your car till the case is resolved. This could be about 5 years. In all this time, you can't sell your car or get insurance. This happened to my friend and he cursed the day the cops recovered his vehicle!
Old 27th June 2006, 21:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Yeah, Hope and pray that the police don't find your car. If they do, then your car needs to be in the police station for a while, after .......................................... This happened to my friend and he cursed the day the cops recovered his vehicle!

Ditto happened to my Mum with her van except cops were using it - finally got it after thay removed the battery and other bits. Spent 25k to get it running and used it for 12 months until a friend borrowed it and ....it got stolen again. Made the friend run around and file the FIR and then we have not bothered. Van was worth 35k, hassle was not worth it

....you would get around rs 35-40 k, I reckon. My in laws sold their 1987 70km 800 for Rs 35k. That car was well maintained but worn out
Old 27th June 2006, 22:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why someone would steal such an old car. Not like he can strip it and use it for parts either or get a good deal for it.
Old 27th June 2006, 22:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Wonder why someone would steal such an old car. Not like he can strip it and use it for parts either or get a good deal for it.
Maybe kids did it for a joyride. A few days back the police caught one such bunch of minors from Pune, who were all from good families.
I think the primary reason it was stolen because older 800s are so easy to break into, as once a mechanic had demonstrated to me.
Old 27th June 2006, 22:54   #13
BHPian

@ sajo agreed with him maruti 800 are easy to break in. infact i could open my frends 800 with my old esteem key and even start it .
Old 27th June 2006, 23:12   #14
BHPian

Hi Buddy.

Sorry to hear your car being stolen.

I think some college student would have stolen it and given there gal-friends a ride ... till the car has petrol in it.... and then dump it somewhere. thats what i read in newspapers about cars being stolen from VK...that too 800. HOPE U DONT GET UR CAR BACK...as its a LAFADA the minute you get your car back ( FOUND ) and it never ends....

my friends 1000 was stolen in 99. The sad part was he found his car back but latter on it was discovered that the car had been used for some Se* related crime and murder....when he found his car he was all excited about it but within 2days it all ran out when he got to know of crime(S) and then running about to Police for this / that and what and what not. In the end he just waved his car good bye.....

Last edited by passion4cars : 27th June 2006 at 23:13.
Old 29th June 2006, 13:51   #15
BANNED

Oh... i pray if i get it back it is not used for such crimes .... so does that mean if police fail to locate it... i can claim insurance after a month as police says they will give in written after a month if car was traceable or not... dont really know what to pray for

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks