Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 01:50   #16
BHPian

I cant understand why many indians cant digest the fact that a "small sized" car can be costlier than some of the sedans around!

Fabia Hatch, everyone wants it at around 5.5-6lk. cant ppl just think the logic behind sedan equivalent pricing of the new hatches coming in India? a Hatch is not necessarily a "cheap" car! it can be a luxury car, or even a super luxury car, with less of boot space, smaller in dimension, making it the perfect city car for many a ppl who like to drive smaller sized cars, not because they cant afford big sized cars, but coz the fact is that smaller sized cars are easier to go around in, in conjested cities, and sometimes especially for the females, they find it easier in parking and all!

Mercedes A class is going great, and now BMW has its 1 series, it looks stunning and well, it commands a price close to the 3 series sedan! VW Polo is another premium hatch, which ppl jus luv, especially in Australia - among the ladies!

In Hyderabad, in the Old City area, the streets are very crowded, and a big sized car is a real pain going around. and thou its the older city, there are still multi millionaires having shops there and who go there and sit in those shops everyday, and for them, having premium hatches like the FABIA would be the perfect answer. now this is just one example of the many many ppl in India who wud benefit from a premium Hatch.

and well, Skoda is known for whale of a boot, so surely in the Fabia Hatch too we will see boot almost equivalent to the size of other similarly priced sedans.

IMHO...A Fabia Hatch at a price of 6.5-7lk is rightly justified and will be a great seller! Skoda has the midas touch in India! The Octavia, still the same shape as launched, is still a top seller,the L&K Octavia, i thought wudnt sell at all, is a super hit again! almost every other new Octavia today seen is the L&K version! ppl want luxury! Laura is superhit, and now even Superb has started selling good! finally ppl see more benefits in the Superb than the C-Class. Finally ppl realise that the C Class is nothing but a brand, and Superb is everything but a Super Lux brand like MERC. 26lk for a Superb, and still they are making good sales of it! what else do the company want to call it a hit.

When the Laura was announced, almost everyone went gaga over its obnoxiously high price! ppl wanted it to be sold at the same price as the Octavia, or a lil bit more, and wanted it to replace the current Octavia! Many t-bhp members too said that, strange that even auto enthusiastics are against its pricing! its good many of us here are auto fanatics, but its wise for us to be practical minded too, not just fantasy minded. achieving our dream cars at our realistic prices...? then why not go for a realistic car, instead of some dream car??? today Laura is a hit, and the company is not planning on any price cuts either, and infact, the company is now seeing very positives at a 20lk+ priced Laura vRS!

Jago India Jago!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 5th September 2006 at 01:55.
Old 5th September 2006, 09:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
thats a hyundai!

Its so Tucson - ish from the back and I hope they dont launch this one here.
Old 5th September 2006, 10:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
Its so Tucson - ish from the back and I hope they dont launch this one here.
but sures looks great and with that 110bhp crdi, its gonna rock. SRV watchout!
Old 5th September 2006, 10:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
In Hyderabad, in the Old City area, the streets are very crowded, and a big sized car is a real pain going around. and thou its the older city, there are still multi millionaires having shops there and who go there and sit in those shops everyday, and for them, having premium hatches like the FABIA would be the perfect answer.
Thats a nice write up. Even dring a Santro in old city area was difficult for me.

Quote:
then why not go for a realistic car, instead of some dream car??? today Laura is a hit, and the company is not planning on any price cuts either, and infact, the company is now seeing very positives at a 20lk+ priced Laura vRS!
Jago India Jago!
I think its luxury combined with diesel power. I have seen many Lauras in HYD after its launch, and just two old Vrs's in my whole one year travel in HYD city(may be its just me). Optra is the only guzzler (no offence meant) which seems to be doing well in the market!!
Old 5th September 2006, 11:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the Laura was announced, almost everyone went gaga over its obnoxiously high price! ppl wanted it to be sold at the same price as the Octavia, or a lil bit more, and wanted it to replace the current Octavia! Many t-bhp members too said that, strange that even auto enthusiastics are against its pricing! its good many of us here are auto fanatics, but its wise for us to be practical minded too, not just fantasy minded. achieving our dream cars at our realistic prices...? then why not go for a realistic car, instead of some dream car??? today Laura is a hit, and the company is not planning on any price cuts either, and infact, the company is now seeing very positives at a 20lk+ priced Laura vRS!
This kind of mindset is what makes manufacturers take customers for a ride in Indiya. If a car is popular then many people will begin to buy it to keep up with the Joneses and thus walk right into a debt trap. Even the Skoda Superb is priced in the Euro 18,600 range in Europe which comes around to how much...10 lakhs+ and the Skoda wallahs are paying only 25% duty on Superb CKD. So why not price it cheaper ??

We need more competition in this industry....seriously, to push car manufacturers stop ripping people off.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its so Tucson - ish from the back
LMAO!!
Now, they've started copying from their own stable.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:23   #22
BHPian

guyz...how come we r not talking abt the grande punto.......common guyz if given a chance to buy which one would u guyz go for
grande punto or skoda fabia
Old 5th September 2006, 12:29   #23
BHPian

well, personally, i liked the Accent Hatch. giving it a Tucsonish back makes it more masculine look, than a femme feel!

But unfortunately the Accent Hatch isnt coming to India just yet. its the Sedan thats having its entry the first!
Old 5th September 2006, 12:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu
guyz...how come we r not talking abt the grande punto.......common guyz if given a chance to buy which one would u guyz go for
grande punto or skoda fabia

Sharu, the Grande Punto is a small Hatch. the Fabia is a big Hatch!
The Grande Punto comes from FIAT, just not good! (now with tata, again not good!)
The Fabia comes from Skoda, just too good!

obvious choice, Fabia! but the price of the Punto is going to be cheaper, as they are cutting its size by 30mm to bring it under some import duty benefits.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am warming up to the idea of the Skoda Fabia Combi, or the Octavia L&K (has a classy ring to the name, does is it not ?? ).

Also also keeping a wary eye on the Nissan moves, I just heard yesterday that Nissan would finalize plans for a small car plant in India within 6 months. Now if they can use that very same facility for assembling a CKD X-Trail then it is an 100 metre dash towards Nissan then.
Old 5th September 2006, 14:00   #26
BHPian

with lurker, Indians are waking, thats why we are demanding the replacement of the older generation cars with the new generation cars at the same price.

It is ridiculous to have the three different generation of the same car at three different price tags, each one bigger than the one before. Whereas all over world each generation had been replaced by the next generation. The price increase rational with the increase in material costs.
Old 5th September 2006, 14:06   #27
bhp
BHPian

people would buy skoda fabia diesel even for 8 lakhs but then skoda servicing spares and maintaince are very high....i doubt there would be many owners after they come to know the maintaince cost....here in india ppl have a mindset as to lower maintaince for a hatch.....i think skoda has to really work out on that
Old 5th September 2006, 14:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharu, the Grande Punto is a small Hatch. the Fabia is a big Hatch!
The Grande Punto comes from FIAT, just not good! (now with tata, again not good!)
The Fabia comes from Skoda, just too good!
Let us wait till they come before making any judgement on them. A car can not be good or bad just because it comes from a particular company. We have seen bad mercs too.

BTW, if Skoda is coming up with the Fabia hatch, that can also avail of the same customs duty reduction the Punto can avail of if they chop off their additional 30mm.

Without getting into any duel with anyone, all I say is "wait and watch". A good product in Europe does not necessarily mean that it will be good in India too.
Old 8th September 2006, 01:00   #29
BHPian

Deepakhon, the FABIA is a very popular car in the Uk in its segment. Its also has a good track record in the Rally area.!

The fabia is bound to be just great! thats the trump card skoda has!
Old 8th September 2006, 03:32   #30

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the rason why the fabia hatch should sell for 5.5-6lac is because anything more than that will not be vfm.mind you,indians spend on cars which offer value for money rather than whether its a big or a small car.its the same reason why swift sold more than the getz.both the cars were equally good but swift sold more cos it looked better and had more kit(he zxi version).
a fabia hatch at that price will suffer the same fate as a ford fusion or the optra srv hatch.
if i had to choose between the grande punto and the fabia hatch,i wouldgo for the grande punto with eyes closed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks